• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Playstation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok depending on my funds i might get one at the end of this week, or the start of next week. (or the following fortnight)

do i need to download anything or tweak it in anyway to get divx to run on it, i was talking to some guy and he said it didnt do it out of the box.

is there anything else i need to do to get everything working on it? i just want it to be a quick process to get everything set up ;)

There will be a firmware upgrade, to bring it up to date. That could kill an hour. Or 20 mins, depending on your connection. Charging the controller is another thing too, that'll take a couple of hours. Other than that the only thing will be signing up for Playstation Network. About 15 mins for that.

Thats all I can think of for now. Seeing as I trust you I might game share a few of my psn games with ya. Which is basically giving you them for free. The only one it won't allow me to is Warhawk.

There will be a firmware upgrade, to bring it up to date. That could kill an hour. Or 20 mins, depending on your connection. Charging the controller is another thing too, that'll take a couple of hours. Other than that the only thing will be signing up for Playstation Network. About 15 mins for that.
[/b]
GOD, TAKES SO LONG!

The 360 you plug in and play immediately! :D

sweet as, shouldnt be a problem then :)

ill have a look around and see what kind of deals i can get :)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
GOD, TAKES SO LONG!

The 360 you plug in and play immediately! :D [/b][/quote]

Good things take time :p

By the way, you can plug and play other than the controllers if you want. I'm curious though, how do the 360 controllers come already charged?

By the way, you can plug and play other than the controllers if you want. I'm curious though, how do the 360 controllers come already charged?
[/b]
I just use regular batteries, easy as....

Over time that's gotta cost. Don't they come with rechargeables?

Anyhow, I hope Woosaah does get one. I'm seriously keen to play him in a few games sometime.

Sup players. Recently got a full hdtv and I'm planning on picking up a ps3 within the next few weeks. Just a few questions for the uninformed..

> Is the blu-ray player good quality?
> Is it worth investing in a hdmi cable, what difference will it make?
> Do I need a router to play online?

Thanks chaps.

Ok well we teachers in NZ are getting a big payout this week (25th March) so it looks like this week is the week I am getting a PS3 and a wireless modem for it (as well as the laptops that enter the house).

We have the 42inch Plasma TV ready and waiting.

A good deal at the moment is the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue package deal for $799NZ which will on sale on the 28th. Gran Turismo is such a beautiful game.

Oh....then I might try out renting a Blue Ray movie :lol:

GG, the Warehouse are doing the bundle for $749, if you want it from there you'll have to order it quick as they only have a limited supply of 200 units or so they say.

Sup players. Recently got a full hdtv and I'm planning on picking up a ps3 within the next few weeks. Just a few questions for the uninformed..

Thanks chaps. [/b]

I haven't used a standalone blu-ray player but from what i've read its top class

hdmi makes a hell of a difference from the standard yellow red n white av cables it gives the best possible picture quality plus great sound too, and you dont need an expensive one either, a $10 hdmi cable gives the same quality as a $100 one.
Just get one from ebay or even target sell em for cheap

not too sure on the last one as i have a modem/router combo dealy

Nahh, you don't need a router, just a modem, but if your modem only has one ethernet socket it's better to get a router as well.

EVOL, you have a PS3? What's your psn id?

<div class='quotemain'> Sup players. Recently got a full hdtv and I'm planning on picking up a ps3 within the next few weeks. Just a few questions for the uninformed..

Thanks chaps. [/b]

I haven't used a standalone blu-ray player but from what i've read its top class

hdmi makes a hell of a difference from the standard yellow red n white av cables it gives the best possible picture quality plus great sound too, and you dont need an expensive one either, a $10 hdmi cable gives the same quality as a $100 one.
Just get one from ebay or even target sell em for cheap

not too sure on the last one as i have a modem/router combo dealy
[/b][/quote]
Thanks mate, but why do the prices in hdmi cables differ so greatly if they all do the same job?

Nahh, you don't need a router, just a modem, but if your modem only has one ethernet socket it's better to get a router as well.[/b]
So if I set up a wireless thing from my computer I should be sweet. I don't know about this but I assume it's not overly complicated to do. Any tips?

There's bound to be some marginal differences in some HDMI cables (durability and flexibility amongst other things), also some don't seem to be compliant with the HDMI 1.3 standard, which is the latest. One other reason fiends charge more is the whole fact that companies like to package things looking as though they are somehow better, that happens everywhere. Also the whole MONSTER cable thing is even more of a debacle with HDMI. You get no benefit whatsoever from that.

As far as wireless goes, your PS3 should have no problem configuring itself to a wireless modem or router if there is one communicating with your computer in your house. If there are any problems, it'll be your modem/router excluding the PS3 not the other way. That shouldn't happen though.

dum dum dum... this week... this week, no doubt.. this week :)

i just got a payrise myself as well :) sweet :)

I might check out the bundle packs somewhere, i think i would rather buy one from a store rather than trademe...

... sorry for the double post but i think this is worth it...

ps3 bought and just downloading the system update while charging my two controllers.

GT5
FIFFA 08 :D

Sweet Stu we'll all be able to play from Craigs or Andys place :)

Well, one thing I must remind you Woosaah, when you choose your online id, you can NEVER change it, so make sure you choose something that will always sit well with you!

I'm looking forward to our first game of Fifa, sometime this week maybe? It's my birthday tomorrow, so I'd like a win as a present? :p

lol wouldnt be hard to beat me at it. i have had 2 games, first game lost 1-0 second game i lost 2-1 in extra time cause i pushed someone over in the box. it wasnt a foul honest. Great fun though :)

ill definatly be on the ps3 tonight :D i think my flatmates are out so i dont have to wait for the tv lol.

Thanks for helping me set up the media centre, its awesome, and much better than burning divx to dvd and putting them in the dvd writer :)

now what else can i do with my ps3 eh eh eh???? :D

Well, depends what you want to do really. One of the things that don't sound that good, but work amazingly well is putting digital photos and slideshows on it. For some reason they look quite a bit better than you would've ever thought. Might be something to do with image upscaling.

Of course you can put heaps of CD's/MP3's on it, not unlike your computer, but it makes for a handy jukebox, with a really awesome Planet Earth visualisation.

You can actually do both of the above at the same time for a comedic effect, well, it was funny when I had a slideshow of my mates photos going through and the random play pulled Radiohead's creep.

I've put a big list of music videos on my PS3 that I took off my dvd's. Thats pretty cool for relaxing to.

Go on the playstation store maybe and find a game that you like or a free demo.

If you get a Playstation eye, you'd be able to download and play a variety of motion sensitive games, as well as free video call any friends you have online with PS3. It can also be used for in-game voice chat, it works really well.

Actually there's a Poker game out that you can buy for download which you can use the camera and see upto six other who your playing poker with. Thats pretty cool.

There's a lot of other things too, but I can't think of them all right now, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts