• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Positions of concern for NZ

Jack Reacher

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Right wing, 6, midfield for the starting team.
loosies, front row, 3rd 10 and 9 for squad.

All front row positions have plenty of depth but there are a lot of like for like players at the moment. All the back up props used over the last 3/4 years are interchangeable.

There is no 3rd 10 on the radar at all. 9 will be Weber or TTT.

Have we seen the last of Fafita or will he go as lock cover leaving Tuipolotu out. I think Frizell and Hemapo are above him but none have set the world alight this year.

Wherever they see Ben Smith play will dictate other selections. I want him at FB with jordie in reserves to cover. I would start Noholo but would like to see Braydon Ennor given a run.

SBW will be picked if fit, crotty and goodhue to swap about I presume and they'll start crotty in the big games.

if we pick up injuries i'll becaome concerned about a couple of positions but currently happy.

We cant expect 3rd choice to be world beaters...otherwise they'd be first choice, any of our first choice super half backs should be an acceptable 3rd choice, i'd be more than happy with Webber

as for first five same thing and so i table this pic

clip_image001.jpg

right wing, i still rate Naholo, even games where he doesnt score he is generally solid, people seem to have it in their head he is bad defensivly, i've alwasy thought he was one of the best for the highlanders, regularly makes the tackle and gets the turnover

finally...if we need to 10 mounga, 14 smith 15 barrett is still world class

I watched Ioane closely against the Crusaders, looked good goes missing a bit - a bit like Mo'unga 3 years ago - lots of potential but needs to become complete.
I don't think they'll risk it but they did take Brett Cameron on the tour?

if we pick up injuries i'll becaome concerned about a couple of positions but currently happy.

We cant expect 3rd choice to be world beaters...otherwise they'd be first choice, any of our first choice super half backs should be an acceptable 3rd choice, i'd be more than happy with Webber

as for first five same thing and so i table this pic

clip_image001.jpg

right wing, i still rate Naholo, even games where he doesnt score he is generally solid, people seem to have it in their head he is bad defensivly, i've alwasy thought he was one of the best for the highlanders, regularly makes the tackle and gets the turnover

finally...if we need to 10 mounga, 14 smith 15 barrett is still world class

On that last point, that is what I have seen as the combo to finish a game, noting I think the finishing 15 is more important than the starting 15 in a World Cup and that it is less about impact and more about reliability. But you triggered a thought: what if we make that combo you mentioned the starting and finishing 15 and have a 6 2 split on the reserves. That would allow your forwards to go nuts. Imagine retallick and Savea and squire for example only having to play 50 minutes. They could wreck the opposition, then Barrett, Hemopo and cane could finish it off.

On naholo I don't think he is on top form, he has made a couple of defensive errors lately. But generally is great off the ball

Right wing, 6, midfield for the starting team.
loosies, front row, 3rd 10 and 9 for squad.

All front row positions have plenty of depth but there are a lot of like for like players at the moment. All the back up props used over the last 3/4 years are interchangeable.

There is no 3rd 10 on the radar at all. 9 will be Weber or TTT.

Have we seen the last of Fafita or will he go as lock cover leaving Tuipolotu out. I think Frizell and Hemapo are above him but none have set the world alight this year.

Wherever they see Ben Smith play will dictate other selections. I want him at FB with jordie in reserves to cover. I would start Noholo but would like to see Braydon Ennor given a run.

SBW will be picked if fit, crotty and goodhue to swap about I presume and they'll start crotty in the big games.
jordie makes so many mistakes and doesn't seem to improve year to year in any way. He's really good in the air though and can be good on defence but not always. I'm also not convinced he can actually pass the ball which is why my mi d boggles when people suggest he is the third 10 option. So many of his passes look wobbly, he just doesn't execute spiral passes very often. I'm a canes fan so I watch all his games and have been watching even closer since I heard the suggestion of him being third ten as it boggles my mind so much I assumed I must be blind . It doesn't seem like I am though.

Brandon ennor or Jordie barret could be bench options for a 6 2 split though.

On that last point, that is what I have seen as the combo to finish a game, noting I think the finishing 15 is more important than the starting 15 in a World Cup and that it is less about impact and more about reliability. But you triggered a thought: what if we make that combo you mentioned the starting and finishing 15 and have a 6 2 split on the reserves. That would allow your forwards to go nuts. Imagine retallick and Savea and squire for example only having to play 50 minutes. They could wreck the opposition, then Barrett, Hemopo and cane could finish it off.

On naholo I don't think he is on top form, he has made a couple of defensive errors lately. But generally is great off the ball
6 2 split has been the highlanders move for the last few weeks...doesn't work as often as it does, if someone in your backline doesn't fire you don't really have another option...so you keep trying, no plan B or your plan B is to play someone out of position

That combo is also a little lightweight size wise, even when naholo is off his game he's still a big unit to hit it up

6 2 split has been the highlanders move for the last few weeks...doesn't work as often as it does, if someone in your backline doesn't fire you don't really have another option...so you keep trying, no plan B or your plan B is to play someone out of position

That combo is also a little lightweight size wise, even when naholo is off his game he's still a big unit to hit it up
Interesting point about the back three players hitting it up, I don't tend to think of that aspect for them, I'm not sure it would influence my selection decision too much though; I'll hold that thought for further pondering .

Hmm 6 2 split is definitely a risk. And doesn't seem to deliver on its promise.

It worked against the tahs because squire could go nuts knowing he was only in for 55mins...didn't against the saders, we had to put Marty at fullback and was caught out of position straight away, horses for courses I guess

It worked against the tahs because squire could go nuts knowing he was only in for 55mins...didn't against the saders, we had to put Marty at fullback and was caught out of position straight away, horses for courses I guess
I wonder how long before we get a player who can play both a forward and back position well.

Did any of you see what the Bulls did this past weekend to Beauden Barritt's channel? It would be a bit of a concern if I was the All Blacks selection party.

Did any of you see what the Bulls did this past weekend to Beauden Barritt's channel? It would be a bit of a concern if I was the All Blacks selection party.
Tbh can't remember noticing that, actually can't remember much of the game- that's a worry.

What did they do?

Cory Jane was saying how Beauden wasn't very good against rush defence and so needs Laumape to take it to the line.

Tbh can't remember noticing that, actually can't remember much of the game- that's a worry.

What did they do?

Cory Jane was saying how Beauden wasn't very good against rush defence and so needs Laumape to take it to the line.
Or dare we say it a SBW? Saw he was at the launch of the new kit, looking more and more likely that he'll be in the squad.

some of those stats look questionable so may be worth putting a source. also not a very complete picture of statistics.

in world cups defense and error/turnover rates are absolutely key. much more so than in super rugby or general test matches. finals games are won by the team with the best defense and the lowest errors.

to add from rugbypass.com
Defense
Beauden Barrett 80 tackles completed at 85%
Josh Ioane 42 tackles completed at 69%

Beauden also has a much lower error rate and turnover rate despite having a much higher rate of involvement with play.

when you look at the complete picture Barrett is still by far our best 10.

the source is in the pic, its from RugbyPass too.....

which stats were questionable?

biggest concerns for me are

12,13 what will the makeup of our midfield actually be? We simply don't have an established combination, mostly because of injuries and again Crotty is injured. I will say ALB deserves more credit than he gets. He has gotten better and better every season, when he gets on the park for the AB's he always delivers. He's had a standout season again leading the comp in offloads. I like SBW its hard to wade through all the hate he gets, sure hes had a rough season and has been injured. Watching that last blues game which was the first we got to see of him in some time to me it looked promising. He constantly creates opportunities with either his offloads or when hes a decoy attracting multiple defenders. He's an excellent defender. I hope he stays fit he will surely keep getting better. Often injury breaks do players a lot of good, just have to wait and see.

14, NMS is out of the picture and Naholo has been deemed not good enough despite showing some positive signs. He has been a bit hit and miss at test level at the same time when he's good he is so good. and he has generally been more consistent than Julian Savea was in his last 3-4 years as an AB. Reece is an exciting prospect but is he what we are looking for going into WC finals? is he doing enough without the ball? No way. He's small, its hard to really know how good he is under the high ball under pressure the crusaders games Ive seen this year he never really got tested. Going into a WC that area of the game becomes critical. I would sooner run Bridge or Jordie at 14 for their more proven credentials under the high ball. I really think the makeup of the back 3 should contain 2 players considered world class under the high ball. I would consider Ioane to be solid without being world class like Dagg, Beauden, Ben, Jane, Kahui... Jordie has a massive bonus with his height. Solomana Alaimalo is also a guy who should have been considered blistering speed over like 195cm tall and superb under the high ball.

6, so squire is currently out of the picture but could come back for the WC. but signs still suggest we have an issue at 6. NZ always has a wealth of talent at 6 we produce a ton of players with the size and skills for 6 while we generally struggle to produce lots of guys who fit the ideal mold for an international lock. We just happen to be lucky right now having the two best locks we have ever had. Then I look at Scott Barrett and I see a guy ideally suited to playing 6. Looking at the options. Robinson, Fifita, Shannon, Dalton Papalii, Luke Jacobson, Douglas, Taufua, Luke Whitelock so many very good players and no obvious standout. OK three of those guys are not in the squad and likely two more will drop out before the WC. If squire does not come back in we are going to end up fielding a rookie 6. I would give both Frizell and Jacobson a couple of good test to see what they can do and if that fails I would use Scott Barrett at 6 going into the business end of the WC. I'm not sold on He has had chances and not nailed it down. His error rate and defense is a bit back from where Jacobson and Frizell are stats wise. I also think Luke Whitelock is unlucky. He's a solid option and an excellent defender with a high workrate.

the source is in the pic, its from RugbyPass too.....

which stats were questionable?
try assists 6 each? that just does not make sense it should be much higher.
currently rugbypass.com has barrett on 20 and ioane on 16
I'm pretty sure Barretts linebreak assists are much higher as well from stats ive seen elsewhere.
2 linebreaks for Barrett? he got 2 or more just last weekend...

i dont know mate, its from the same place you're happy to quote stats from

i posted that two weeks ago and the stats might not have been complete up to date then

edit, checked and they posted it on the 13th of june

Last edited:
ok cheers I didn't see that rugbypass logo in the corner. those stats may just be out of date.

Latest posts