• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Powergen Cup

The only incentive for English clubs is the potential European place, but obviously sides confident of getting in anyway (ie. Leicester) aren't going to bother worrying about it.

Seeing as all the Welsh clubs are virtually guaranteed a place in the Heineken as well due to there being so few of them, it renders the majority of the competition pretty pointless.

It's yet another example of the RFU desperately seeking cash instead of thinking about the long term effect on the game. No wonder the clubs hate them so much at the moment.

I'm really annoyed with the RFU and the way they run the game in this country. They are a bunch of stuck-up ***** imo, unable to keep the game's values in line with the professional era.

This money saga is just plain boring now, but also ridiculous on the length it has gone on. Just so amateur!
<

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 2 2005, 05:54 PM
its the fact its a cross border competition - its the history.
In theory, but not all the English clubs can afford to field full strength sides due to the length of season and number of matches players have to compete in.

There will still be some intense encounters, but it won't be ideal with some of the top sides using the Powergen weekends to rest key players.

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 3 2005, 04:54 AM
its the fact its a cross border competition - its the history.
True, but why should the ND1 clubs be left out, and the whole group system is not very traditional.

well - ok if your saying that then why dont we have a competition between the semi pro league in wales and the nd1 teams.

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 3 2005, 06:06 AM
well - ok if your saying that then why dont we have a competition between the semi pro league in wales and the nd1 teams.
No, I'm saying it was fine as it was before with the odd giant killing team such as Pertemp Bees appearing every now and again.

We(Bristol) played a strong Wasps team last year and gave them a massive game, losing in extra time, and this was importance for moral, and also showed how we would have to improve for the GP. No clubs will now get this chance, instead playing within their own seperate competition.

Plus, the ND1 teams would whoop you semi-pro teams.

i dont know bout that, although there called semi pro they are like feeder clubs to the regions - much like that of the npc.

What's your opinion on the format though? Surely you can see it is denying the ND1 clubs their chance.

Harlequins versus Ystrad Rhondda, no contest!

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 3 2005, 07:58 AM
ok ok - but in the same vein swansea vs plymouth.
It'd be a very good game actually, Plymouth are a very good team.

So what is your opinion then?

i think that maybe it should be done like a knock out thing like the f.a cup - but include the nd1 league.

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 3 2005, 08:04 AM
i think that maybe it should be done like a knock out thing like the f.a cup - but include the nd1 league.
Agreed, it would be best if all the English from division 3 upwards or even lower and the Welsh equivalents were allowed, starting at a lower round and the bigger clubs joining in later on. This way, less games, a knock-out theme(i.e. just 1 game to win or lose) and seeing Plymouth beat Swansea could all happen.

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 3 2005, 08:13 AM
or could not - the state of the welsh game at grass roots is impressive.
Swansea's seniors is hardly grassroots rugby.

I'm not too keen on the new cup, it seems like extra games for the sake of it, and a pointless money spinner. For clubs like Bristol, fielding a weakened team shows that the league is the be-all-and-end-all, and that the welsh clubs can trake it more seriously as they don't have to worry aobut relegation or european cup qualification (correct me if i'm wrong there).

I think the point about English-Welsh rivalry is over-stated a touch, although that maybe because the only bits i've watched were on BBC Wales, whose presentation adn whole style is incredibily parochial, and distinctly 'local tv'-ish. Plus I sat throuugh 45 minutes of guff after the Leeds-Llanelli game yesterday to see the highlights of the other games, to find that not only was there no footage of the Bath-Bristol game, but in fact the score wasn't even mentioned, and Bath were only spoken of as being the Ospreys next opponents! All decidedly insular and amateur, I'm afraid.

And Jonathan Davies, if you've got a cold/sore throat/whatever.... just GO HOME..... we really won't mind!

ok - let me explain

jd's has a history of cancer in his family - there is a weakness in his voice and it has been well documented in wales. hes is great pundet and one of the best in our country.

well unfortunately the reason it looks amatuerish its because we have the financial backing of bbc 2w, whereas the rugby club has rupert murdoch plowing money in.

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 3 2005, 10:25 PM
jd's has a history of cancer in his family - there is a weakness in his voice and it has been well documented in wales.
Ok, didn't know that, thanks for clearing that up.

Do the lower tier English clubs still play in a cup competition? The system in Wales just excludes the regions so it still allows for the magic of the cup for the minnows

Latest posts