• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Powergen Cup

Yes, there are still cup comps for the national league teams, but the magic of the cup is always based around small teams upsetting the big-boys, which will no longer exist. It's ring-fencing in a way.

Originally posted by robbinho@Oct 4 2005, 03:56 AM
Yes, there are still cup comps for the national league teams, but the magic of the cup is always based around small teams upsetting the big-boys, which will no longer exist. It's ring-fencing in a way.
Which completely destroys the whole appeal of the cup to me.

See your point, the Welsh club sides ( Llanelli Neath swansea etc) still exist so the chance of playing them is still there just now it is without professional players . So the chance of playing a division 1 side not appeal to a team from 4 east say?

At the end of the day, the RFU cup (which was rugby answer to the FA Cup) is gone forever. The RFU made a deal with the WRU to make some more moneyand ruined it for the fans.

Hense, only the Welsh sides and a few English sides (including Saints) are only taking it seriously.

The Welsh clubs get to play some bigger sides and better sides, while the English sides get to rest their England players.

It's just more of the bullshit that the RFU make to keep their England players fit for internationals.

i didnt see much resting if im honest
tindall played
white played
wilkinson played
tindall played

dallagllio making his comeback.

i think the english are blowing smoke out of there arse to cover themselves.

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 5 2005, 08:44 AM
tindall played
white played
wilkinson played
tindall played

White and Wilkinson aren't in the England squad. And Tindall would be tired if he played twice.
<

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 5 2005, 07:44 AM
tindall played
white played
wilkinson played
tindall played

Some teams played full strenght, but some teams made huge changes, like Bristol who changed all 15 of their players I believe.

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Oct 5 2005, 10:38 AM
At the end of the day, the RFU cup (which was rugby answer to the FA Cup) is gone forever. The RFU made a deal with the WRU to make some more moneyand ruined it for the fans.

Hense, only the Welsh sides and a few English sides (including Saints) are only taking it seriously.

The Welsh clubs get to play some bigger sides and better sides, while the English sides get to rest their England players.

It's just more of the bullshit that the RFU make to keep their England players fit for internationals.
Well you know I think that the H-cup and the other European cups have really taken theplace of the national cups.

In France there used to be the Challenge Yves du Manoire who was the national cup. It has been cancelled some years ago because there was no way for a club to be involved in this cup + championship + European cups.

Rugby is not football, a team cannot play every three days.

i think that the whole competion has a different relevence to all sides , Welsh sides are flat out to win it as we have made such a fuss to get it in the first place. The "top" english sides probably see it as a distraction , a chance to make changes confident of their ability to finish top 4 and get their ticket to europe that way.
The mid table sides should really be looking at it as way into europe and the bottom sides could really do without it as they are concentrating on survival.

Personally i'm hoping for an all Welsh final just to have the car park at twiccers full of people who didn't go to public school...blue wkd is the new pimms
<

Originally posted by lloydy@Oct 6 2005, 03:48 AM
Personally i'm hoping for an all Welsh final just to have the car park at twiccers full of people who didn't go to public school...blue wkd is the new pimms
<
<
Alcopops?

*Mutters somthing about ****** chavs*

i hate all this labelling - chavs - isnt it a bit childish to labell people, everyone is individuals and we shouldnt stereotype

i agree, english rugger is so upper class.

pimms

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 5 2005, 07:52 PM
i agree, english rugger is so upper class.

pimms
Much as this may shock you, the people sitting in the executive boxes at Twickenham do not represent your average English rugby fan.

Try going to a club match at Welford Road, Franklins Gardens, Kingsholm or Sixways, and there would be no way you could possibly come back saying that Union is watched by money-burning toffs sipping on Champagne, which is the impression you currently seem to hold.

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 5 2005, 08:10 PM
no - not champagne - pimms
You really should get over this class difference thing, you're not carrying the hopes of the working class with you, there are others on the board who don't drink Champagne - sorry Pimms - at rugby matches.

I get the same feeling to loratadine rugby in england does come across as posh!

but in wales its like for the working class!

Originally posted by Flamingo@Oct 5 2005, 08:14 PM

Come to a Saints match and count the upper-class in the stands.

I'll tell you now, it won't be many.

here here flamingo - rugby in england is full of men with cigars and sheepskin jackets, its all very upper class, i went to watch the dragons and leicster in the hec 2 years ago and the leicster fans, were very posh,

"jolly good game old chap"

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 5 2005, 08:18 PM
here here flamingo - rugby in england is full of men with cigars and sheepskin jackets, its all very upper class, i went to watch the dragons and leicster in the hec 2 years ago and the leicster fans, were very posh,

"jolly good game old chap"
Sure thing.
<

Please continue your fantasy, don't let me or anyone else bring you into the real world.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Oct 6 2005, 07:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Oct 6 2005, 07:17 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Flamingo
@Oct 5 2005, 08:14 PM

Come to a Saints match and count the upper-class in the stands.

I'll tell you now, it won't be many. [/b]
will do!!

(or not)
<

Latest posts