• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Round 11

Honestly not been that impressed with him, he's been good but kinda feel he might be starting to block Ilione

He's solid but when all fit wouldn't be in the 23 either
Sure but he's still appeared 13 times for you this season. Whether he'd be in your 23 or not he's clearly made an impact. Same for Shillcock with 16, Bassett with 11. That's 40 appearances by players who you've gotten as a result of the foldings. Also Hatherell may well have signed before Worcester actually went bust but they'd been on the ropes for a while and that was surely a factor in him leaving.

For Chiefs Fisilau has made 12, Feyi-Waboso 13, Bell 1, Frost 11 for a total of 37.

I don't really have a horse in this race. Chiefs, Bath, Tigers, etc. all just signed free agents, I don't see anything wrong/unfair about that. But Tigers have clearly benefitted from the foldings. Don't think you can really argue otherwise.

It would be interesting in how Bath and Exter would've been affected this season if the 3 clubs didn't fold.
Chiefs wouldn't be as strong but not weak. Waboso Fisilau Frost have all stood out, although we've been without all 3 at points in the season and been fine.

Bath arguably worse off take away Lawrence massively affects the backline and the sheer power Barbeary has added is alot too.

Bath would certainly be worse off without our acquisitions - but I'm not sure how much.

Hill is probably first choice, but the way Read has stepped up, it's far from nailed-on (would Read have stepped up without Hill around?). For this season, of course, Hill's been injured for almost all of it, so you can't put much of this season's performance on him.
Barbeary personally is a huge positive for Bath, and so is Coetzee. With those 2, I suspect the biggest positive from each of them is that ability to allow R&R and keep them both fit and motivated.
Lawrence is absolutely first choice OC, but without him, we'd still have 3 perfectly good centre options in Redpath, Ojomoh and Butt, and we'd probably have brought someone else in. It'd definitely be a step down, and certainly impact our ability to rotate. I'd also add that I think Lawrence is a big part in the resurgence of Cokanasiga - they both occupy so much of a defender's attention, that you really have to put 3 defenders on the 2 of them, because at least one of them is going to be made to look silly (and then there's a 1/3 chance that one of the Bath pair will be made to look silly as well).

For Hill and Barbeary, there's not really a step-down to the alternative. For Lawrence there is, but there's also a step down in experience, with Mojo and Butt are improving game on game.

Honestly I'd say that the acquisition of F. Smith alone will put Saints at the top of the beneficiary list in the long run. Add in Pearson and to a lesser extent Haffar and they've done very well for themselves.

In terms or depth it does feel 10 teams is the sweet spot for a prem

Season feels quicker, more tense. Teams feel like they have more depth

If Newcastle could get some investment and keep their younger players and sign some starters in the pack especially then the league would be perfect nearly.
It's why I really dislike this squad size limit (well at the rumored numbers) having good depth makes the league so much better to watch

In terms or depth it does feel 10 teams is the sweet spot for a prem

Season feels quicker, more tense. Teams feel like they have more depth

If Newcastle could get some investment and keep their younger players and sign some starters in the pack especially then the league would be perfect nearly.
It's why I really dislike this squad size limit (well at the rumored numbers) having good depth makes the league so much better to watch
Yes your not wrong on the smaller squad size as you replacements in any position drop off a cliff with injuries in some positions i bet.

Also lets say they implement it what happens to half the squad over the limit but dont qualify as part of the academy players? If you get what i mean. A lot of squad players will be put of a job with teams keeping the top players and up and coming youngsters pushing out the middle.

Honestly I'd say that the acquisition of F. Smith alone will put Saints at the top of the beneficiary list in the long run. Add in Pearson and to a lesser extent Haffar and they've done very well for themselves.
F Smith he already signed though so not really a beneficiary in that way. Pearson has been ok but we'd have been fine without him this season. If he played for us how he played for Irish I wouldn't be saying that, hopefully next season he finds his feet. Haffar has only just started to play a part but I'm 100% sure he'll have a big impact later in the season but then we have Manny coming back from injury who is a top prospect as well.

I think the main impact from the clubs going bust has been Chunya for us. He's started a lot of games for us and really provided some ballast and ball playing ability.

I think the league is better off having the top talent over fewer clubs, just hope we don't lose another otherwise that would be a disaster!

Latest posts