• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Round 12

will the saudis gain that much goodwill from turning the falcons into a tigers/northampton? Doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment even from a sports washing point of view.
Basically, yes.
They can come in, and for the sake of less money than they lose down the back of the sofa, they could save a previously great club from potential bankruptcy, in a climate where 3 previous clubs have gone to the wall.
And even without knowing if it's a minor sponsorship deal or full ownership - it's already working, as shown by places like the Falcons' sportsnetwork site, where people seem not to know what "sportswashing" even means, and are highly defensive of the investment, and seeing the Saudi's in a kinder light than they ought.

Basically, yes.
They can come in, and for the sake of less money than they lose down the back of the sofa, they could save a previously great club from potential bankruptcy, in a climate where 3 previous clubs have gone to the wall.
And even without knowing if it's a minor sponsorship deal or full ownership - it's already working, as shown by places like the Falcons' sportsnetwork site, where people seem not to know what "sportswashing" even means, and are highly defensive of the investment, and seeing the Saudi's in a kinder light than they ought.

Might be wrong, but I'd have thought it's 95% likely to be ownership than sponsorship. If Falcons have been well under the cap as suggested it would give them more spending power.

In terms of fan reaction I'd be amazed if it didn't go along these lines - a vast majority won't really care about anything except what happens on the pitch. Of those that do care more widely, a large majority will carry on as before through gritted teeth with only a tiny minority taking direct action or voting with their feet.

Might be wrong, but I'd have thought it's 95% likely to be ownership than sponsorship. If Falcons have been well under the cap as suggested it would give them more spending power.

In terms of fan reaction I'd be amazed if it didn't go along these lines - a vast majority won't really care about anything except what happens on the pitch. Of those that do care more widely, a large majority will carry on as before through gritted teeth with only a tiny minority taking direct action or voting with their feet.
Attendance at Newcastle United have improved since the take over from what i can tell. They should be on course to be higher than last year. Ultimately winning, good players and more attractive football beats morals.

I'd assume if people felt that strongly about this they wouldn't watch there own team play Falcons either.

Attendance at Newcastle United have improved since the take over from what i can tell. They should be on course to be higher than last year. Ultimately winning, good players and more attractive football beats morals.

I'd assume if people felt that strongly about this they wouldn't watch there own team play Falcons either.
Improved by about roughly 1k compared to previous prem attendances so far

Improved by about roughly 1k compared to previous prem attendances so far
Yeah they're always pretty well attended at the best of times . Be interesting to know how many actually did boycott the club. I think they had more when they wanted Ashley out.

Yeah they're always pretty well attended at the best of times . Be interesting to know how many actually did boycott the club. I think they had more when they wanted Ashley out.
Hardly any.... if any at all.
Standard...the Morality police on Social Media spit and shout but in reality...people will continue to go to watch the games as normal. i dont even think it will bring a huge increase in attendance. Football dominates the city...you get the odd over flow when theres no United game and they fancy an afternoon watching some sport.

Latest posts