• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Preseason matches

Outside centre? Would also open the door to playing Beck and Roberts together for Wales. I do think that Roberts functions best at 12, but I think he could adapt his game to playing 13, although I do prefer outside centres with more gas. As long as it means less gametime for Gavin Evans, I'm happy.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, he's been captaining them in some pre-season friendlies.

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5938.php
http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5929.php

Anyway, unless Bourrust can possibly be an okay scrummager for the Blues, or the backs never drop the ball, then they will struggle next season like they did at the end of last season. Even average scrummaging teams (like Scarlets) would fancy their chances of getting a penalty try up against Campese Ma'afu and Scott Andrews. I would go as far as saying even the Dragons might manage to get a few points from those two.

Omens don't look good though for the Blues scrum next season. I notice they conceded a penalty try against Gloucester. Probably the first of many more to come.

Sale Sharks 49 - 27 Glasgow

Eifion Lewis-Roberts and Tony Buckley must certainly be the largest combination of props in Europe this season. They are both over 130kg I think.

According to the report, their weight gave Sale a useful rolling maul.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can honestly say I would rather have Nathan Buck in my team over Scott Andrews, if only because his contract is probably much less. Also because it isn't Scott Andrews.
Roberts is noticeably quicker than he was in 2010/11. I would much prefer a playmaker at inside centre. I still maintain the Blues should have gone for Steven Shingler. He can fill out to quite a decent size but also offer a playmaker. Rhys Patchell is in the same vein, but pale and ginger. Imagine Paul ***o playing outside half.

I know you're joking but that Leinster team wasn't good enough to be on the same pitch as that Saints team (yet). Was 17-0 at halftime seems Northamptons kicking was rather poor as well with just 3 conversions from 8. Also sounds like the Coghlan at 12 experiment backfired.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/10210.php

The report says a full strength Saints team, and at first it was close to being, but we did use over 30 players so a fair bit of chopping and changing involved.

First half the Leinster side showed flashes, but we were too strong as fitness and experience started to show more and more. Can only beat what's in front of you though, so always going to be pleased about nilling a side wearing the shirts of the European champions.

From the Ospreys pre season teams.

It seems that Tom Isaacs and Ross Jones are both being played as wingers with Fussell at full back, so the first choice backline for the start of the season is likely to be.

15. Fussell
14. Dirksen
13. Bishop
12. Spratt
11. Isaacs/Jones
10. Biggar
9. Webb

21. Fotuali'i
22. Morgan
23. Isaacs/Jones

It seems despite losing Shane/Walker/Bowe/Phillips/Prydie all at once, plus Eli Walker suffering a long term injury. The Ospreys are not signing anybody to replace them. They are just promoting two kids in Tom Grabham and Luke Morgan into the squad, and moving Tom Isaacs and Ross Jones from centre and full back respectively into utility backs.

24-9.

We had by the sounds of it a lovely match against Northampton 43-0 to them of course with not exactly fairly matched teams.

However the u-19's won 30-27 against Northampton as well.

A completely different Saints XV finish the match to what statred, plus a Burrell tip tackle gave Leinster a man advantage just after the break. It may have been the couldn't-give-a-toss celtic league side instead of the HEC team, but to nil any side is an achievement in its own.

By the end it was a contact training session with blue tackle bags.

Ulster humped the despicable Leicester scoundrels 14-14 yesterday in RavenMountain.

Was running around with a chainsaw like an eejit rather than being at the game (and acting like an even bigger eejit).

Tries, few highlights and Mark Anscombe interview here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19308408

Friends that were there tell me Ulster looked good value with a very young backline and largely second-string forward unit.

From the Ospreys pre season teams.

It seems that Tom Isaacs and Ross Jones are both being played as wingers with Fussell at full back, so the first choice backline for the start of the season is likely to be.

15. Fussell
14. Dirksen
13. Bishop
12. Spratt
11. Isaacs/Jones
10. Biggar
9. Webb

21. Fotuali'i
22. Morgan
23. Isaacs/Jones

It seems despite losing Shane/Walker/Bowe/Phillips/Prydie all at once, plus Eli Walker suffering a long term injury. The Ospreys are not signing anybody to replace them. They are just promoting two kids in Tom Grabham and Luke Morgan into the squad, and moving Tom Isaacs and Ross Jones from centre and full back respectively into utility backs.

That seems about right except i think Fotuali'i will start most games. Do you reckon Beck will play the from the get go or will the internationals be rested?

From what i've heard Morgan doesn't seem all that impressive, and we already know about Walker's dreadful defence. I hope i'm proved wrong.

That seems about right except i think Fotuali'i will start most games. Do you reckon Beck will play the from the get go or will the internationals be rested?

From what i've heard Morgan doesn't seem all that impressive, and we already know about Walker's dreadful defence. I hope i'm proved wrong.

Aye, Webb was dire against Bath according to a few people. Luke Morgan is supposed to have pace to burn, and certainly showed it in the U20 6N.

Ulster humped the despicable Leicester scoundrels 14-14 yesterday in RavenMountain.

Was running around with a chainsaw like an eejit rather than being at the game (and acting like an even bigger eejit).

Tries, few highlights and Mark Anscombe interview here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19308408

Friends that were there tell me Ulster looked good value with a very young backline and largely second-string forward unit.

Details.

And the Cochrane try is sexy.

For those who enjoy a giggle.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f7zAT0WqqAU?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Cardiff Bloos team for Bath:
15. Leigh Halfpenny 14. Alex Cuthbert 13. Cory Allen 12. Rhys Patchell 11. Harry Robinson 10. Jason Tovey 9. Lloyd Williams

8. Andries Pretorius 7. Sam Warburton 6. Rory Watts-Jones 5. Lou Reed 4. Bradley Davies 3. Taufa'ao Filise 2. Andi Kyriacou 1. Nathan Trevett

Substitutes:
Dan Fish, Adam Thomas, Gareth Davies, Tom Williams, Lewis Jones, Luke Hamilton, Thomas Young, Josh Navidi, Robin Copeland, Macauley Cook, Scott Andrews, Rhys Williams, Tom Davies
Very nearly the XV for the first few months of the season. Probably first choice back three and halfbacks. Back row is missing Paterson (through injury?) and the tight five is anybody's guess.

Bath squad:
15. Nick Abendanon; 14. Tom Biggs, 13. Dan Hipkiss, 12. Matt Banahan, 11. Kyle Eastmond; 10. Olly Barkley, 9. Michael Claassens; 1. Paul James, 2. Lee Mears, 3. David Wilson, 4. Stuart Hooper ( c ), 5. Dominic Day, 6. Carl Fearns, 7. Francois Louw, 8. Ben Skirving

Replacements

16. Ross Batty, 17. Nathan Catt, 18. Kane Palma-Newport, 19. Dave Attwood, 20. Will Skuse, 21. Chris Cook, 22. Ollie Devoto, 23. Olly Woodburn, 24. Jack Cuthbert
I'll leave it to a Bath fan to comment on this squad.

Leinster and Sale teams.

SALE SHARKS:
15: Rob Miller
14: Charlie Amesbury
13: Corne Uys
12: Johnny Leota
11: Mark Cueto
10: Danny Cipriani
9: Dwayne Peel

1: Eifion Lewis-Roberts
2: Marc Jones
3: Vadim Cobilas
4: Fraser McKenzie
5: Richie Gray
6: Mark Easter
7: David Seymour CAPTAIN
8: Andy Powell

REPLACEMENTS:
Joe Ward, Tony Buckley, Aston Croall, Kearnan Myall, Richie Vernon, Tom Holmes, Will Cliff, Nick Macleod, Sam Tuitupou, Will Addison, Charlie Ingall

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
14: Andrew Conway
13: Brendan Macken
12: Noel Reid
11: Fionn Carr
10: Ian Madigan
9: Isaac Boss CAPTAIN

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Jamie Hagan
4: Tom Denton
5: Devin Toner
6: Dominic Ryan
7: Jordi Murphy
8: Leo Auva'a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Aaron Dundon
17: Jack McGrath
18: Martin Moore
19: Leo Cullen
20: Ben Marshall
21: John Cooney
22: Collie O'Shea
23: Jordan Coghlan
24: Darren Hudson
25: Jack O'Connell

Is this Buckley's first match against Irish opposition since leaving. I'll let Olyy comment but from my limited knowledge of Sale that looks pretty close to their strongest team. Ours is fairly strong but still missing the internationals of course should be interesting.

That's essentially the Rabo team from last year. I'd expect us to be competitive at the very least. Also interested in how Hagan goes. He's in much better shape this year by all accounts so he could be up for a stellar second season ala Mike Ross and Stan Wright.

Yeah, believe it is.
Apparently he had a great game vs Glasgow (though it was their u8s, pretty much :p ) so who knows what wonders they've worked on him in pre-season. Glad to see Cobilas getting the start ahead of him though :p Shame Henry Thomas isn't involved, presume this means his knee's not right yet.

That's round abouts our first XV for the season though (could argue Ward vs Jones, Buckley will probably start at 3, Brady for Amesbury and Addison or Tuitupou for Uys), so hopefully we can get a win - especially as it's the first game at Barton.
Shame that Willis is being rested, bet he'd have loved to have a run out against Leinster, but he played the last two so makes sense to get Will Cliff involved.

Gutted I can't go, especially as I've got my season ticket sitting on my desk.

Saints 35-22 Moseley

Or, Mosely can score at FG so are better then Leinster.

Here, fishy fishy fish fish...

Leinster_HeinekenCupchamps2011_rdax_400x292.jpg

10 - 10 at FT for Sale/Leinster.
Tries from Conway and Miller, penalties from Reid and Cipriani.

Sounds like I didn't miss much, apart from getting soaked.

Edinburgh 3 vs 1-hundred-Billion Saints

Or, Edinburgh have a worse defence but better attack then Leinster. And a worse both them Moseley.

Last edited:
Ulster 24 - Newcastle 20

So-so game - Ulster finished with 13 men and Newcastle scored a try (not converted) to bring them right back into it with a couple of minutes to go.

From an Ulster perspective, I thought both Paddy Jackson and Niall O'Connor had d'oh moments when on - not putting penalties into touch and telegraphing passes...

T'was good result from a largely second string outfit. Big Nick Williams scored a couple of tries carrying 2 or 3 men over the line from a few yard out and Jared Payne had a nice wee grubber and chase for a try in the Memorial corner.

Scrum looked solid, won a couple of penalties, Chris Farrell could be looking at a big year, definitely for Ulster and maybe even Ireland (Keith Earls, you might be better off going to the wing - you ain't gonna be the man replacing BOD).

Aside from that, the £5.50 a burger is too dear - and having a burger van that won't (can't?) sell chips and a chip van that won't (can't?) sell burgers is a bit of a farce. If thats stipulated in contracts, its a little too commercially minded for me.

Latest posts