• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prospective team for Scotland

C

cyRil

Reading how the Scottish team is likely to shape up against us next week, and seeing as it is looking about as strong as I have ever seen a Scottish side I am beginning to get a tad nervous.
I am therefore naming my preferred Welsh side and asking others to do the same in order to make myself feel a lot better about our chances at Murrayfield.
There are a few talking points over selection, such as who to pick as our half backs? Who will gain the wing and centre berths? Where will the likes of Halfpenny and Jamie Roberts fit in? Will there be a place for the much-derided, but in-form Shanklin? Does the recent praise of Andrew Bishop from Gatland suggest a starting position is on the cards? Oh, and WHY THE f*** IS HUW BENNETT IN THE SQUAD OVER RICHARD HIBBARD??!!!

Here's my bash. Not my preferred team, but who I think Gatland will go with:

15. Lee Byrne
14. Jamie Roberts
13. Tom Shanklin
12. Gavin Henson
11. Shane Williams
10. Stephen Jones
9. Gareth Cooper

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Ian Gough
5. Alun-Wyn Jones
6. Ryan Jones ©
7. Martyn Williams
8. Andy Powell

16. Huw Bennett
17. John Yapp
18. Luke Charteris
19. Jonathan Thomas
20. Mike Phillips
21. James Hook
22. Leigh Halfpenny

In an ideal world Gatland would finally receive the DNA tests back to prove he isn't actually Gareth Cooper's father and drop him in favour of Phillips with Peel on the bench. Seeing as I'm wishing things, I'd also like Hook to finally realise how to play a rounded and controlled fly-halfs game of rugby... Keeping all the sporadic brilliant things he does as well.
Also Mark Jones is injured so that's why I excluded him, if fit I would have him on the wing with Roberts at outside centre. But there could be a lot of chopping and changing in the centres/three-quarters - Bishop, Shankin or Roberts could make 13, Halfpenny could take the right wing spot or even drop back to full back if Byrne has another injury lapse (please God no!!). Gav or Roberts could even go there and we could have a team including Jones, Henson, Roberts, Byrne and Halfpenny; a ridiculous choice of kicking options!

Right I might have wandered and I think I'm boring you now so, discuss!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jan 28 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Reading how the Scottish team is likely to shape up against us next week, and seeing as it is looking about as strong as I have ever seen a Scottish side I am beginning to get a tad nervous.
I am therefore naming my preferred Welsh side and asking others to do the same in order to make myself feel a lot better about our chances at Murrayfield.
There are a few talking points over selection, such as who to pick as our half backs? Who will gain the wing and centre berths? Where will the likes of Halfpenny and Jamie Roberts fit in? Will there be a place for the much-derided, but in-form Shanklin? Does the recent praise of Andrew Bishop from Gatland suggest a starting position is on the cards? Oh, and WHY THE f*** IS HUW BENNETT IN THE SQUAD OVER RICHARD HIBBARD??!!!

Here's my bash. Not my preferred team, but who I think Gatland will go with:

15. Lee Byrne
14. Jamie Roberts
13. Tom Shanklin
12. Gavin Henson
11. Shane Williams
10. Stephen Jones
9. Gareth Cooper

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Ian Gough
5. Alun-Wyn Jones
6. Ryan Jones ©
7. Martyn Williams
8. Andy Powell

16. Huw Bennett
17. John Yapp
18. Luke Charteris
19. Jonathan Thomas
20. Mike Phillips
21. James Hook
22. Leigh Halfpenny

In an ideal world Gatland would finally receive the DNA tests back to prove he isn't actually Gareth Cooper's father and drop him in favour of Phillips with Peel on the bench. Seeing as I'm wishing things, I'd also like Hook to finally realise how to play a rounded and controlled fly-halfs game of rugby... Keeping all the sporadic brilliant things he does as well.
Also Mark Jones is injured so that's why I excluded him, if fit I would have him on the wing with Roberts at outside centre. But there could be a lot of chopping and changing in the centres/three-quarters - Bishop, Shankin or Roberts could make 13, Halfpenny could take the right wing spot or even drop back to full back if Byrne has another injury lapse (please God no!!). Gav or Roberts could even go there and we could have a team including Jones, Henson, Roberts, Byrne and Halfpenny; a ridiculous choice of kicking options!

Right I might have wandered and I think I'm boring you now so, discuss!![/b]

I dont think Byrne will start due to his ankle problem, reckon Halfpenny will slot in at 15! Phillips aint been special this season and Cooper has been the better 9, still wish that Peel was in the squad! Roberts might start at 13 instead of Shanklin also!

I'd play Hook at 12 over Henson. Henson has proved to be very inconsistent, and I wouldn't take this Scotland side so lightly as to assume you'll be fine come what may...

Yeah, I'd say Hook over Henson.

You might have your hands full with the likes of Ben Cairns and Thom Evans to worry about, I think Hook is better at getting a scamble defense together.
I'd also put Mike Phillips, it's one consistent advantage you have over every scrum half you'll come against more or less, it's like a 9th ball carying forward sometimes.