• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ps3 Fifa 08 TRF Tornament

I wasn't really feeling with it at all in that game, total rubbish. 'Cos I don't really play 08 any more, I usually have a game with the AI to get a feel for it again then hit you up but I went in stone cold, first game since last time, but no excuses, you whooped me fair and square. I'll cop it. You are very good though you know.

Yeah well I only own a couple of games so I play it hard out a lot lol! You should have played a bit against a few people before playing me...not good to go in cold. It was a strange game....normally I play around a bit and try and create beautiful ball movements....but in that game I thought I would just go hard out playing like a gamer rather than trying to emulate real football.

Anyway guess what? If we have another game today I will record it with my vid cam and upload it to you tube....then we can put it on here!!!!!

Hopefully if you get 09 it will be on big guy. Or maybe rent it so we can have a couple of games lol. We can make a league and finish it before you have to return it to the shop.

For those that have not purchased 09 and only played it briefly, like most soccer sims it always takes a bit to get into the new one and then you end up saying after a couple of weeks how much better it is and would not go back.

I've got 09 but am as shite at that as I am at 08.

I just don't spend time trying to perfect certain aspects of the gameplay, I more or less just play for fun.

As crap as I am I'll give you a game sometime bro.

I have not played 08 for almost 24 hours now...cos I got OWNED big time by this guy - "Iam7yrsOld". It was the first time for a while that someone has had the ball more times than me (normally I average 63% possession). I felt like i was chasing shadows....and of course when I had possession I felt like there was NO ONE unmarked to pass to. I lost 4-1 and that was being respectful to me (my goal was because he was show boating in his box). I had my usual AEK Athens and he chose Celtic...I was thinking he must be good to choose Celtic...but more often than not I beat them unless they have Man U. Boy was I wrong...this guy convinced me that there is another level altogether that I am not a part of. Celtic are not that great but he made them look better than Man U. His goals were mainly triple taps and I thought I had learnt to stop them...OBVIOUSLY NOT! Everytime I went up to tackle him he was schooling me big time with his little feints and fake kicks...I have only played two other people who made me look so foolish where it felt like I had no control...and the other two were just like this guy.

So it looks like I have to relearn how to play the game...especially the tricky little moves. This guy schooled me using Celtic..players who are not that good at stepping all over the place....incidently my biggest embaressment where I got my ass whipped 8-0 was by this guy who used a half star team...yes you read correctly. He was pounding shot after shot non stop.

The guy I played yesterday did adjust his pre-game tactics....so it would be interesting to know what he did. I messaged him and said he was amazing. Perhaos I may message him again and ask what formation/mentality he had.

In a way it might have been good to have taped that match bro, it may have taught you something re-watching what he did to you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Jan 23 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In a way it might have been good to have taped that match bro, it may have taught you something re-watching what he did to you.[/b]
Yeah I wish I did...there were times when I just gave up chasing shadows and simply started watching him...but alas it was not enough time to watch what he was doing conclusively. I think I will save him as a friend and invite him to another match...which unbeknown to him I will tape lol!

Then I will post the game up for all of us to see how bloody good he is. I remember running up to tackle him and totally missing as he steps past...from that moment I thought "This is gonna be a long game".

Woohooo...feeling good cos I am actually getting better at this game!

I have a few footie friends on PSN who play me at Fifa 08 regularly....one of them beats me regularly...well the last 3 weeks I have been practicing give and go passes (yes I know I am slow at learning and should have learnt this ages ago but hey...I am a rugby gamer) and my game has really improved heaps...so anyway today I played him with my newly integrated skills...and gave him a shock by beating him 5-1!!!! I could not believe how easy it was breaking through his defence where before it was always hard going.

I am actually quite shocked how ADDICTED to this game I have become....I can't get enough of it online lol! At church this morning my mind kept slipping back to how "beautiful" my game was against my friend....who was so shocked that he called me by another name lol!!!! He thought it was some other professional who was playing on my account lol!

So anytime anyone here wants a game I am ready to play:) I use AEK Athens so lots of people enjoy playing against me as opposed to Man U/Barca/Real M/etc....

Decided to sit down and play this game all day to see if I could improve and like you have found out some new things just from reading the manual that have improved my game quite a bit and while not on the winning side online still being a noob n all, I am at least putting up a darn good fight with a couple going into overtime and a courageous 3 - 1 loss against a very good player.

I have two weaknesses which I need help with, I struggle in my own area on the edges of my box at times and give the opposition an open look because I get too carried away trying to press too much. I'm just struggling to hold my line and cover open shots. Any advice?. Will keep practicing though.

My second is goal scoring, I'm starting to get the odd goal now and then but I'm nowhere near the point you are where you can probably see a goal scoring opportunity as you move in for the kill and more often than not nail it and as I've seen in various ways as well. I'm getting way more opportunities than I used to but just struggling to find those open players and am not hitting the back of the net as much as I know I should. Again will keep practicing.

I must say that team you are playing as is pretty good, they seem to have that extra something about them.

Anyway I'll keep practicing and hope to give you a good game sometime.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Feb 23 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have two weaknesses which I need help with, I struggle in my own area on the edges of my box at times and give the opposition an open look because I get too carried away trying to press too much. I'm just struggling to hold my line and cover open shots. Any advice?. Will keep practicing though.

My second is goal scoring, I'm starting to get the odd goal now and then but I'm nowhere near the point you are where you can probably see a goal scoring opportunity as you move in for the kill and more often than not nail it and as I've seen in various ways as well. I'm getting way more opportunities than I used to but just struggling to find those open players and am not hitting the back of the net as much as I know I should. Again will keep practicing.
[/b]
Ok I am gonna give you a couple of tips that no one told me online (cos no one gives away significant secrets) and once I show you it will make scoring against you very hard to do.  This is how I defend and I have slow as defenders...so this method has been proven using low ranked defenders against the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Drogba, etc.....arrrrrghhhh!!!!

On defence when they are attacking and getting near your box they are either gonna go two ways....straight thru the middle or around the edges on the wings.  So basically you just defend according to those two directions.  They will either go high in the air or low along the ground obviously.

Therefore you only have TWO gameplans on defence near your box.  Stopping them going straight and stopping them going wide.  Here is what I do.

Turn autoswitching fully down.

Opponent going straight at your box:
Use the "SUPERPRESS"....this involves NO manual direction controlling of a player (left thumbstick).  Intead it is simply HOLDING DOWN of all THREE press buttons at the same time.  You do not let go until you get the ball.  Your right index finger holds down sprint, your right thumb holds down BOTH x (selected player press) AND o (team mate press) and most crucially of all your left thumb holds down D Pad Direction DOWN.  They only button that you have to think about is with your left index finger pressing L1 whenever they pass the ball to someone else.  Anyway this method will crush any attack going up to your front end of your box.  ALL of your players will press the nearest guy both on and off the ball.  This method is also useful anywhere further upfield but it really only is effective away from the sidelines.  Also known as the "suffocating" press this method can kill people who are trying to just get out of their own half.  They look around to people to pass too but the recievers are being pressed so they panic.  When they try a "blind" upfield pass (passing to someone not yet in the screen) they will find you are pressing on them and sometimes running ahead and intercepting.  Superpress will get your players CLOSE to the recievers....from there you may master the art of actually controlling the guy pressing the reciever to go forward a bit and take the intercept.

Opponent going around the edge of your box (wings):
Well there are no magical buttons to press to make marking around the edges easier except learning to convert using the right control stick.  As you probably already know when you push L1  "change player" it converts to the nearest to the BALL.  However when you see that your opponent has a player running a line down the wing and sense that your opponent at any time is gonna give a ball towards the wing....you want to get your wing defender to go get him....but find when you try to convert to your wing defender it won't select him because it only selects the player closest to the current ball carrier.  Well here is where you have to learn how to do the "right stick" change player.  With the right stick while you are defending if you move it in any direction it will switch the player you are controlling to the person closest to him in THAT direction.  So you use the right stick and push it towards the wing therefore selecting the winger.  You have to tap it a few times very quickly as it won't go to the furtherest player in that direction but instead it will choose the closest...so just keep right sticking it until you get the furtherest player on the wing and then follow your opponents runner down the wing.  Quite a skill to learn but very important because the last thing you want is cheap easy goals against you from attackers running down the wing and crossing it back in to some star guy (Rooney, Tevez) who will automatically due to their huge stats create a miracle and score an impossible goal under pressure even though you have 300 players in the box marking him.  Really gets on my nerve these cheap goals from crosses due to a players stats.  The cheapest of the cheap are Man U going down the wing and giving triple taps back in arrrrggghhhhh!!!!!  The best prevention is not allowing them to get down your wing at all.  Try and stay directly in front of them with your winger when they try to go down your wing because if they get just a tiny edge aorund you they will probably still cross it.  Learning to tackle down the wing is another art form in itself and takes a lot of experience playing online....too many factors involved to write in a post...but I am sure you will get it.

Anyway when defending you basically alternate between those two major schools of thought...and you have to anticipate when to change between the two JUST BEFORE THEY CHANGE the focus of attack.  When you learn to apply the superpress it is an AUTOMATIC defensive system...so all you have to do is WATCH the rest of the feild instead of the ball....watch where your opponent may pass too and if it is to a winger then quickly change and get somebody to get on that winger.

Sometimes you have to "concede" and realise that you have not got enough players around to superpress as it may compromise other areas....especially in situations where you are being counterattacked and many of your players are upfield.  This is where Radman you can employ your "concede" strategy (which is what I have seen you do) by having NO ONE press but instead relax, consolidate and pull back to your box (Basketball defence) and hope you get enough players to get back and reform your defensive line.

There is another style of defence that works well against "passers"...it is the "Computer press Player Intercept" method.  You hold your right thumb on the o button to get the computer pressing the ball carrier while you run around looking for an intercept.  I never use it but many pros do.  I struggle against this method because I am a passer.

Lately I have added into my reportoire a new defence called "The Wall of confusion" which is based on three styles.  In order they are:
- concede
- wing cover
- super press
So what happens is that when they have the ball in their half and all my players are on our side of the ball....I "concede" by not having anyone pressing on the ball carrier.  Instead they all just hold their ground and I use the right stick to get my wing on the side I think they are heading towards to push further out "wing cover"...then when my wing (or both wingers if I am REALLY quick pushing them out) are quite wide I employ the "superpress"...my opponent will see all my players rushing and if they are a good player they will think "He's rushing all in...I can get aorund the wings"...the only problem is...he looks to the wings and realises too late that I have wingers rushing his wingers...he has no one to pass too!  If he does get an edge around a wing I just go back to "concede" and try and cover that side of the wing....a bit like damage control.

What about if they get sick of getting blitzed and do the big hoof upfield?
Just change to having a sweeper.  Go back to "formations" and choose the formation you like...but when you get to it press the sqaure button (or is it the circle)...you will see your formation change and have "SW" on it....now you have a sweeper who will hang back behind your last defensive line.  I often change to a sweeper as soon as my opponent does his first big kick....that is because big kicks upfield show he cannot get upfield with passing as you are strangling him. 

OK and now with your second question on scoring...well thats another LONGER post in itself lol!!!!!

****! :eek: ...I gots heaps to learn still. I know I've improved heaps in the last two days solid play just learning the o team mate press. It is just a matter of adjusting my defensive style from what I was used to to pressing and picking off passing routes at the same time and then learning what you described here...quite a hand and headfull. lol!..but getting more natural with patience and practice.

I much prefer less player selection assistance also, figured that out pretty quick. Pressing is much easier this way.

I'm slowly getting there though, starting to get on top of most noobs online which is a positive sign.

I'll give it all a go and see how I go online after a few days practice.

Well there is still heaps more stuff to learn...I realise that for myself that I am still getting there. I have not learnt to shoot outside the box and am not too sure if I want to learn that as I heard that to be an effective long range shooter you have to have manual shooting on your settings. I also have to learn how to do early crosses effectively and have to get into the habit of doing lobbed through balls. When I learn these things properly and when to use it I may be a bit happy.

I am still mastering the little skill tricks and how and when to employ them.

I have to say I am really addicted to this game. Very steep learning curve and it put me off playing it when I first got it. However with perserverance the rewards from lots of hard work are just fantastic....it is not just a simple pick up and play footie game....because the learning curve is so steep the difference between a pick up and play person and a master is quite spectacular.

I must say I think I enjoy more than anything the fact that I only play with AEK Athens. It is almost like I have a sense of loyalty to them. Also because they are only 3.5 stars and when I beat higher ranked players using stronger teams I actually feel a great sense of accomplishment....it is VERY rewarding. When I lose to a lot of these top players they actually message me saying they were quite impressed with my showing and my lower ranked team.

I think it was very rewarding for me learning the game with a 3.5 star team as it forced me to have to learn to play the game properly rather than just relying on CR7 down the wing triple tap to Rooney one timer into the net tactics. I sometimes now enjoy the game even without scoring just creating beautiful passing moves etc.....

I feel much the same way even just playing against the AI when I learn something new like today just working on pass timing and really starting to get a feel for it and even low and behold scoring some really good goals from good pass plays. Feels real good nailling a length of the field passing play for a goal right up the guts where previously I have really struggled. And yes it is addictive when you learn new things and use them well against human opponents, not always getting a win but knowing you've put up a good fight and it feels real good nailing the wins with good tactics used.

Ok...which one of you guys thrashed me????

I was playing a guy online....lost 4-1 to him...bloody France and bloody HENRY ARRRRRGGGGH! I messaged him about how I mistook his goalee as one of my own players (dressed in black) and he messaged me back and called me by....gg!!!

So which one of you guys was it?????

After that me and Radman had 3 games....you have improved quite a bit Rad.....3-0 to me in the first game...though all my goals came in the last quarter.....1-0 to Rad in the second game as he scored early and hung on....then 1-0 to me in the decider.....which showed Rad how much you have improved as I had to bring my A game for that last one by fully concentrating.

IT WAS MEEEEEEEEEEE......not.

I still suck, just a little bit less. Still working on my defensive structure and got lots of work to do on attack.

Latest posts