• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rabbitohs sign Burgess

G

gingergenius

20 year old England and Bradford forward Sam Burgess has signed a 4 year deal with the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Great news, means yet another English face in the NRL and hopefully our brightest forward talent can shine in the toughest environment. We seem to have world class props coming out of our ears at the moment with Morley, Peacock, Graham and Crabtree as well. Hopefully Burgess can step up and join them.

As well as signing the Bronco's Dave Taylor, the Rabbitohs should have a cracking forward pack....buuuut that is the way it should have been the past few years, to no avail.

Hopefully Burgess doesn't succumb to the seeming curse that each and every world class player that travels to Rusty Crowe's team becomes susceptible to.

The next Adrian Morley? Here's hoping Burgess will do a better job than Gareth Ellis...

For all your bagging of Gareth Ellis, hasn't he just won Wests Tigers player of the year?

Burgess is a good player, playing in a forward dominated league will give him a lot of good experience. It's a good move for him.

Helen, I haven't bagged Ellis much, infact I can't recall bagging him during the season at all! Perhaps beforehand for some friendly banter but apart from that, I believe not. I could be wrong though. It'd only be the 6th time ever though ;).

I Knew that last statement would get a reaction. Perhaps you took it the wrong way? I should say something degrading about the Super Duper League.... Maybe not this time.

Ellis has played well and rightfully deserves any accolades the Tigers bestow upon him, however he hasn't been the explosive firebrand that was hyped. Mr Reliable? Yes. After getting in to the rhythm of things he has been consistent, more so than his teammates bar Taniela Tuiaki who won the Dally M Winger of the Year medal. Keep in mind the Tigers finished in the bottom half of the competition too. I've no doubt he'll go from strength to strength during the off season and through to the 2010 competition and fingers crossed it allows him to light up the NRL a bit more but in saying that, will he be the big hitting, angry c*** that was promised? Maybe not. Will Burgess? Lets hope so. Lets also hope it won't sacrifice his general play quality though.

On the field, I WANT AN ANGRY ENGLISHMAN DAMNIT! Or shall I say............."I WANT AN ANGRY POM DAMNIT!"

Ellis did do well at Wests. If he was at a better team he'd get more praise.

Look at Souths forward pack.. got a bad feeling blokes like Taylor and Burgess won't develop that well down there. It's probably up to these blokes to take the initiative and set up a winning culture down there something seriously missing for the last 20 years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 1 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ellis did do well at Wests. If he was at a better team he'd get more praise.

Look at Souths forward pack.. got a bad feeling blokes like Taylor and Burgess won't develop that well down there. It's probably up to these blokes to take the initiative and set up a winning culture down there something seriously missing for the last 20 years.[/b]

The likes of Kidwell, Asotasi, Crocker, and Craig Wing were supposed to set up the winning culture but it just hasn't happened. As great as Dave Taylor and Burgess are, who in my opinion are the best young up and coming props (with Taylor being an explosive second rower and centre aswell), they won't be able to lift the club beyond the top eight. They may be able to make the finals but going any further will be nigh on impossible without a quality 9/7/6/1 combination.

Sandow had one good season and this year his light dimmed somewhat significantly. I can't see any future for him here unless he loses the big head. Ship him off to England, Rusty and P-Hac!

I really do hope that it won't be the case but there's no sign that next season will be any better than last. Perhaps if the Rabbitohs retain their forwards in for the next few years and begin recruiting top quality backs then all this may change by 2012.

Their pack may be among the best in the league next year but without a backline to fire after all the hard work has been done, it's pointless.

Brisbane should have signed Burgess after losing Taylor. But then again it would have been hard considering one of Burgess' reasons for choosing the Rabbits is that he's a big fan of Taylor.

Bring on 2010.

I hope for Souths to do well. I think 99% of rugby league fans want the Rabbits to do well (top 4) for once and not see the likes of Brisbane and Melbourne dominating every year. Doubt that will happen in 2010 though.

Ellis has a reputation for being hot headed but not angry. He's a good player and I know someone who knows him, a nice lad by all accounts. The problem every English player who goes down under is they want/expect another Morley, and Burgess is for my money better than Morley, Morley is in fact one of the most overrated players I have ever seen. But you lot love him because he's tough and he likes a scrap.

And Melon, you have been bagging Ellis before. Probably to provoke me. So congratulations are in order.

Ellis is great and dont the tigers fans love him
I love the poms coming down taking a pay cut to play in our comp...........
Still got plenty of love for the morley, and i hate the roosters - i cant wait to see him in action again

So Sammy Burgess - who is he? No seriously tell me about this guy - not what he does on the field - i already know this!!!!@@!#@$@

Latest posts