RaboDirect Pro 12 Round 3

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
In the 3rd round of the season we start off with Ospreys-Glasgow and see Ulster taking on Munster in an all-Irish derby for the top spots while the Dragons take on the Cardiff Blues. Log-leaders Scarlets travel to Ireland to play Connacht and wooden spoon-holders Zebre visit Edinburgh. The remaining match is Treviso-Leinster

Round 3 Fixtures

Friday 14th September:
Ospreys.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Glasgow.png

Friday 14th September:
Ulster.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Munster.png

Friday 14th September:
Edinburgh.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Zebre.png

Saturday 15th September:
Connacht.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Scarlets.png

Saturday 15th September:
Newport.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Cardiff.png

Saturday 15th September:
Benetton.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Leinster.png

Ulster vs. Munster

Can't wait:cool:

Match of the round objectively speaking, should be a lot of internationals back for it too.

The Ulster squad

ULSTER SQUAD FORWARDS (15)
Rob Herring, Nigel Brady, Declan Fitzpatrick, Callum Black, Tom Court, John Afoa, Lewis Stevenson, Neil McComb, Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy, Mike McComish, Stephen Ferris, Chris Henry, Sean Doyle, Nick Williams

ULSTER SQUAD BACKS (11)
Paul Marshall, Michael Heaney, Niall O'Connor, Paddy Jackson, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Michael Allen, Craig Gilroy, Andrew Trimble, Peter Nelson, Jared Payne

Stephen Ferris' 100th cap should he play as well.

I'm expecting the following team:

1. Tom Court
2. Rob Herring
3. John Afoa
4. Johann Muller
5. Lewis Stevenson
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean Doyle
8. Nick Williams

9. Paul Marshall
10. Paddy Jackson
11. Andrew Trimble
12. Luke Marshall
13. Darren Cave
14. Craig Gilroy
15. Jared Payne

Not bad with Tuohy and Henry to spring from the bench.

Munster's team

Munster: Denis Hurley; Doug Howlett Capt., Casey Laulala, James Downey, Luke O'Dea; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Damien Varley, BJ Botha; Donncha O'Callaghan, Billy Holland; Dave O'Callaghan, Sean Dougall, James Coughlan. Replacements: Mike Sherry, Marcus Horan, Stephen Archer, Dave Foley, Tommy O'Donnell, Conor Murray, Ronan O'Gara, Keith Earls.

Whats Kilcoyne like in the scrum?

A good target for Afoa to beat up on or someone he'll have to be diligent against?

Kilcoyne's making his 2nd senior start. Unless he's superman, he's definitely a target.

Team named, and not quite what I thought it'd be (although its probably the bench that is most surprising).

1. Tom Court
2. Nigel Brady
3. John Afoa
4. Johann Muller
5. Lewis Stevenson
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean Doyle
8. Nick Williams

9. Paul Marshall
10. Paddy Jackson
11. Michael Allen
12. Luke Marshall
13. Darren Cave
14. Andrew Trimble
15. Jared Payne

With replacements:
16. Rob Herring
17. Callum Black
18. Deccie Fitzpatrick
19. Neil McComb
20. Mike McComish
21. Michael Heaney
22. Paul Nelson
23. Craig Gilroy

The big surprise for me is that there is no Chris Henry, Dan Tuohy and Niall O'Connor (or Stuart Olding) in the squad. So if PJ gets injured, it'll be Jared Payne or Luke Marshall stepping into outside-half.

Ospreys team named for game against Glasgow

15 Richard Fussell
14 Hanno Dirksen
13 Jonathan Spratt
12 Ashley Beck
11 Tom Grabham
10 Dan Biggar
9 Rhys Webb
1 Duncan Jones
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Aaron Jarvis
4 Ian Gough
5 Ian Evans
6 George Stowers
7 Justin Tipuric (Capt)
8 Joe Bearman

REPLACEMENTS
16 Scott Baldwin
17 Ryan Bevington
18 Joe Rees
19 Alun Wyn Jones
20 Sam Lewis
21 Kahn Fotuali'i
22 Matthew Morgan
23 Andrew Bishop

Tom Grabham makes his first competitive start for the Ospreys

The following players were not considered because of injury:
Ryan Jones - Knee, Eli Walker - Shoulder, James Goode - Groin, Tom Habberfield - Ankle, Tom Isaacs - Dead leg, James King - Shoulder, Tom Smith - Groin, Jonathan Thomas - Hip, Adam Jones - Knee

Good to see Grabham given a start on the wing, anything is better than Isaacs as far as i'm concerned (even Eli Walker :eek:)
Fussell still at fullback though, WTF :mad:
I'm happy to see Spratt starting ahead of Bishop, it'll be interesting to see if he can gell with Beck because he offeres a hell of a lot more on attack than Bishop.
Matthew Morgan was woeful last week so i'm fine with Biggar given the regins again.

Last edited:
No idea why Gough is still there. He offered absolutely nothing last week, and was lucky that one of his attempted shoulder barges didn't connect and get him yellow carded. He's not a patch on the player he once was, and has become a bit of a liability imo. He still puts in a few crunching tackles, but misses just as many attempting to go for one of his shoulder barges.

Apparently Tandy is happy with the way Jarvis has been playing. Well he must be watching a different game than me, because Jarvis is struggling big time in the scrum, yet its Bevington who gets axed despite putting in a decent shift last week imo.

Good to see the backline players come in.

Whats Kilcoyne like in the scrum?

A good target for Afoa to beat up on or someone he'll have to be diligent against?

Afoa will have his number nothing horrible maybe someone to watch out for in the loose. If Archer comes on there will be a lot of trouble for Munster's scrum especially if Horan is also on.

LVtastic Ospreys back three.
Fussell must be one of the most infuriating players to watch at times. It was like playing Will Harries at fullback: Why? (Granted, Little Will could play second row if he wanted)

Ospreys pack looking weak, in all honesty. I have no worries about Duncan, he will give it his all. Jarvis, Gough, Stower are worries. Gough has been good in the past, but now pushing it. Jarvis was in the ESPNscrum Lions XV of the week! Just shows what you know, Dull ;)

LEINSTER:15: Ian Madigan
14: Andrew Conway
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Fionn Carr
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Damian Browne
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:
16: Sean Cronin
17: Cian Healy
18: Jamie Hagan
19: Leo Cullen
20: Jordi Murphy
21: John Cooney
22: Noel Reid
23: Isa Nacewa

Very strong team for a match like this Madigan at 15 is interesting.

Where is McFadden best suited? I've seen him in both centre positions and on the wing.

Bevington has struggled a few times, but he is far from the finished products. I rate him highly as a prospect, but wholly agree with Adam when he said they will miss Paul James. James is a truly underrated player who has never given anything less than 100% week in, week out.

I think McFadden is at his best at 12 unfortunately as far as I can remember Kidney has never started him there.

That Lion's team is hilarious also the comment that Cockerill think Tuilagi will become the best 13 in the world within a year.

Last edited:
I think McFadden is at his best at 12 unfortunately as far as I can remember Kidney has never started him there.

He has a decent boot if I recall correctly. I like a relief kicker at inside centre, so I'd agree with you. I remember North planting him earlier in the year, but his tackle statistic for that match aren't bad (12 made, 2 missed).

LEINSTER:

15: Ian Madigan
14: Andrew Conway
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Fionn Carr
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Damian Browne
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:
16: Sean Cronin
17: Cian Healy
18: Jamie Hagan
19: Leo Cullen
20: Jordi Murphy
21: John Cooney
22: Noel Reid
23: Isa Nacewa

Very strong team for a match like this Madigan at 15 is interesting.

Now that is bloody fascinating. Myself and LN7 have been having discussions as to how to fit Mads into the starting XV. He seemed to think shifting Sexton to 12 and giving Madigan the 10 shirt was the way to go, whereas I thought that moving the best flyhalf in Europe out of position and giving the shirt to a player, while undoubtedly fantastically talented, is somewhat lacking in game control, wasn't the way to go. Nothing wrong with having two good tens I though. Needless to say, the idea of playing him at 15 hadn't occurred to either of us.

It's an interesting selection in any case, and I can see the reasoning behind it. He's a fantastic attacker with a lovely eye for a gap. Having him hitting the line at pace could be very dangerous for the defence. He's also got a good kicking game, but his aerial ability is unproven and I'm not certain he's got the defensive game for full back. I guess time will tell.

He has a decent boot if I recall correctly. I like a relief kicker at inside centre, so I'd agree with you. I remember North planting him earlier in the year, but his tackle statistic for that match aren't bad (12 made, 2 missed).

Yeah he has a good boot on him remember one raking punt in particular last year I think against the Scarlets. He's got good distribution skills and despite his small stature by modern standards is an aggressive runner. I think that tackle got blown out of proportion he was way of balance and if you're not exactly right against North he will blast through you. Also a back up place kicker with an over 80% record if I remember correctly.

McFadden is a bit meh. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be a starting international. Still, he'll be good enough to plug the hole at 12 for Leinster until and adequate replacement for Dorce can be found.

Now that is bloody fascinating. Myself and LN7 have been having discussions as to how to fit Mads into the starting XV. He seemed to think shifting Sexton to 12 and giving Madigan the 10 shirt was the way to go, whereas I thought that moving the best flyhalf in Europe out of position and giving the shirt to a player, while undoubtedly fantastically talented, is somewhat lacking in game control, wasn't the way to go. Nothing wrong with having two good tens I though. Needless to say, the idea of playing him at 15 hadn't occurred to either of us.

It's an interesting selection in any case, and I can see the reasoning behind it. He's a fantastic attacker with a lovely eye for a gap. Having him hitting the line at pace could be very dangerous for the defence. He's also got a good kicking game, but his aerial ability is unproven and I'm not certain he's got the defensive game for full back. I guess time will tell.

I'm probably completely wrong but I get the feeling this could be on orders from the I.R.F.U. with Jones constantly breaking there's no real back up for Kearney and this allied with his recent place kicking could make him an attractive bench option (though he should already be on the bench). For Leinster personally I'd like to see something similar to LN7's idea but with the roles not being set and them taking turns at first receiver. I've also seen the idea of moving him to 9 but I'm not really a fan of that.

Latest posts