• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ranfurly Shield

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
It's been a very interesting season so far, mainly due to what's been going on with the Ranfurly Shield. I think everyone expects Canterbury to win the competition, with Wellington runners up, but the Ranfurly Shield is being sent all round the country - it's very unpredictable!

So far this season, we've had four rounds and four Shield matches (WAI v NOR, WAI v OTA, OTA v HB, HB v CM), which is quite unusual in of itself. What's even more interesting, is that we're guaranteed at the very least two more Shield matches in a row (CM v TAR and either CM v WAI or TAR v BOP). Whilst I don't have the information myself, I'd suggest this has probably never happened before, six shield matches in six weeks. If we go even further, we could quite realistically see a Shield match played almost every week this season. In round 7 the potential Shield matches are WAI v WEL or BOP v CM, which means that the CM has to beat both TAR and WAI, or TAR has to beat both CM and BOP, or we will definitely see a Shield match in round 7. Round 8 would then bring BOP v WAI, WEL v AUK and TAR v TAS. Potential Shield matches in the final round are CM v SOU, WAI v TAR and TAS v MAN.

All of this together means that we could see a final round up of:
1) WAI v NOR, 2) WAI v OTA, 3) OTA v HB, 4) HB v CM, 5) CM v TAR, 6) TAR v BOP, 7) BOP v CM, 8) BOP v WAI, 9) WAI v TAR

The above may be unlikely, (I can't see BOP beating TAR in New Plymouth), but I'd be very surprised if we don't see at least 7 or 8 challenges this season - which is unprecedented.

The other interesting bit of Shield history made this season, of course, is the number of long spells broken by teams. Otago won the shield for the first time since 1957, Hawke's Bay won it for the first time since 1969, and Counties have won the Shield for the first time ever (and were founded back in 1955). It's been an outrageous year, all things considered, and we're only four weeks in! Tasman have also never won the Shield (they have only existed since 2006, though of the two teams combined to form Tasman, Marlbourough last held the Shield in 1974 and Nelson Bays have never had the Shield, with a history dating back to 1968 [though they are also a combined team, with both sub-unions never having the Shield]. Who knows what other records we will see broken this season...

Also, I think I speak for everyone when I say it's great to see the 'smaller' regions holding the Shield, even if only for short periods of time. As long as Canterbury and Auckland (and to a lesser extent Wellington and probably Waikato) are nowhere near it I'm happy!

It surely is bringing some more excitement to the game, I find myself watching more ITM games than before.

It surely is bringing some more excitement to the game, I find myself watching more ITM games than before.

Yeah, me too. I think I might even be enjoying the ITM a little more than I did Super Rugby. It just seems more passionate and competitive, imho.

das

Waikato get a chance to win the shield back now, up against Counties.

Waikato get a chance to win the shield back now, up against Counties.
Waikato got smashed ;)
At the start of the year I put $100 down on Counties @ 35 to 1 to hold the Shield at the end of round 9 - one match to go.... Bout time for me to consider hedging a bit now I guess.

Waikato got smashed ;)
At the start of the year I put $100 down on Counties @ 35 to 1 to hold the Shield at the end of round 9 - one match to go.... Bout time for me to consider hedging a bit now I guess.

Wow, good luck! That'd be a nice windfall.

As a Magpie, I was delighted to see them win the shield bringing back fond memories of the great games of the late 60s.

Didn't mind too much losing to Counties, if any province ever deserved the log it was them.

What is the deal with the Ranfurly Shield? Obviously I know how teams win it, but what exactly is the history behind it and is there some financial gain to holding it?

There is a huge financial gain in that a province like Counties can get crowds of about 10,000 when they have the shield and may have only got about 5,000 without it. The Shield has been around since about 1905. Ranfurly himself was a governor-general and the Shield was like his farewell present. I believe he spent a lot of time in Ireland during his life.

What is the deal with the Ranfurly Shield? Obviously I know how teams win it, but what exactly is the history behind it and is there some financial gain to holding it?

It's more the emotional significance of it, and the historical power it holds. It draws in crowds, and gives the teams who aren't necessarily capable of winning the competition (i.e. everyone but Canterbury) something to get excited about.

Edit: I think you're one of the few people around here Gavin who has been a member of the forum longer than me but also has fewer posts!

I guess it has alot to do with the fact it has been going for SO much longer than the domestic comp (ITM / NPC) and for teams like otago you always want what you cant have...and until this year we havent been able to get it...now we'll want to get is and defend it

I love to see it drop down to the lower leagues, some pre season game where the holder underestimates a challenger

Would be pretty cool to have somethign simular in international rugby. One of the second or third teir unions should put one up for grabs

I guess it has alot to do with the fact it has been going for SO much longer than the domestic comp (ITM / NPC) and for teams like otago you always want what you cant have...and until this year we havent been able to get it...now we'll want to get is and defend it

I love to see it drop down to the lower leagues, some pre season game where the holder underestimates a challenger

Would be pretty cool to have somethign simular in international rugby. One of the second or third teir unions should put one up for grabs

There actually is something similar at the international stage (or at least it's being kept track of.) Believe if or not, Japan are the current holders having beaten Wales in the summer.

Finally got around to watching the latest Shield match - great game! Glad to see Counties hold onto it for now, they really seem to be embracing the honor.

das

Finally got around to watching the latest Shield match - great game! Glad to see Counties hold onto it for now, they really seem to be embracing the honor.

das

Fun team to watch aye! I think they are the most exciting team in the competition and think they can beat even the likes of Wellington and Canterbury if things fall into place, especially at home. I've got a few bob on Counties to win the whole thing as well...Doubt they will do it, but I know I'll get value for money watching them try ;)

The shield means a lot for the smaller provinces.

The Hawke's Bay tenure in the late 60s was a magic time. I was a young journalist and helped cover the games for the Napier Daily Telegraph. Flew to Hamilton to see the Bay take the shield off Waikato, then witnessed every defence from the press box at McLean Park.

Each challenge day began with a street parade headed by Hawkeye, a huge representation of a magpie. Then at one game mini Hawkeye - a guy dressed in a magpie costume - was hatched out of an egg in the middle of the field. Crazy, but great fun.

Special seating was erected at the park and capacity crowds of around 25,000 saw each game.

Funnily enough the Bay side had the log for three years but never won the final match of each season. There were draws with Wellington and Auckland, before the loss to Canterbury.

Coach Colin LeQuesne was a genius, grumpy old bugger but he knew his stuff. Lock Karaan Crawford was discovered playing basketball in a Maori community just south of Hastings, hadn't played rugby, but Colin turned him into a star.

He found Ian Macrae, now president of the NZRFU, playing on the West Coast and helped turn him into a magnificent player and eventually a great All Black.

And a strong Counties team keeps it for the summer! Good on them!

Yup good on them, they deserved it. Cashed me a cool $3k as well (hedged a bit in game to cover on Southland). Congrats Counties! Now on to the ITM cup - go smash Wellington for me ;)

Just finishing up watching this last Shield match - so happy for Counties! They really embraced the honor of holding the Shield, so very happy they get to retain it for the wint...summer! ;) I have to say that between the overall season and - was it last week's game? - where Counties tested a heap of young talent, I'm quite impressed with Umaga's coaching. I wonder if he'll stick around with CM, or if this will be a stepping stone to something bigger.

das

Latest posts