• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Reviewing the Review

M

Mr. Laxative

I have decided to take snippets of the review post them here and talk about my feelings, you can put your's here as well.

Even after a casual glance at the screenshots, it's clear that this is no token upgrade. WETA Digital were brought on board to create the likenesses of around 500 NRL players and referees

Concerning, considering there weren't any referees in the finished version - must be why David Peachey is white skinned, with medium length brown-hair and blue eyes.

This doesn't extend to the English Super League, but frankly who cares? It's not as if you were really going to bother anyway.

Um, strike three! I did bother, and what about those poor people in Europe? No likenesses!

The animations are also far more authentic this time around. Key moments like kick-offs and conversions have been meticulously motion-captured to give the game a shot of authenticity and you can expect the same bone-crunching tackles, deft sidesteps and crowd pleasing tries you see every weekend

Okay? Don't the kickers always look like they are about to slip over to you? Crowd pleasing tries? What the!?

Rugby League 2 benefits from far better controls. Not only deeper but far more intuitive. By simply pressing forward you can affectively scoot from dummy-half.

Affectivley? Yeah right... it is just an animation - you have no control!

The AI has been much improved in Rugby League 2 and even individual players react more realistically to on-field situations - computer controlled teammates will go for intercepts, make tackles and if a kick is bouncing dangerously close to touch they'll hestitate to pick it up (before they'd just pick it up and run out).

Excuse me? This has only happened once to me... all the other times they have run out!

We bet there would be plenty of fans out there that would love to assemble an all-star State of Origin team, which may or may not be a licensing night-mare (Rugby League 3? we certainly hope so!).

Okay? Surely they hadn't looked at the commentary names, you can already do that!

Trust us, you'll want to keep playing long after the final whistle!

Unfortunately that isn't possible...

Well that's it from the great LR for now, see you next time!

weta did not create the likenesses, models or anything like that. they did the motion capture and thats it.

Here's something interesting about the OPS2 reviews:

Fact: OPS2 Magazine's
Reviews are best in the business. Our squad of reviewers play games longer, harder and better than anyone. And we love what we do.
It's this dedication that means you can trust our comments and scores above anyone else's. Whether a game's superb or sewage, our experts will tell it like it is with buckets of opinion. Our experienced reviewers have written for the game industry's most revered publication's, both here in Australia and overseas. Rest assured that these are opinions you can trust.

A bit off topic but locks have you ever thought about applying for a job with the OPS2 UK mag? This way they like these supposed Aussies can get decent reviews.

Originally posted by Jacko@Jan 18 2006, 10:44 AM
I have decided to take snippets of the review post them here and talk about my feelings, you can put your's here as well.

Even after a casual glance at the screenshots, it's clear that this is no token upgrade. WETA Digital were brought on board to create the likenesses of around 500 NRL players and referees

Concerning, considering there weren't any referees in the finished version - must be why David Peachey is white skinned, with medium length brown-hair and blue eyes.

This doesn't extend to the English Super League, but frankly who cares? It's not as if you were really going to bother anyway.

Um, strike three! I did bother, and what about those poor people in Europe? No likenesses!

The animations are also far more authentic this time around. Key moments like kick-offs and conversions have been meticulously motion-captured to give the game a shot of authenticity and you can expect the same bone-crunching tackles, deft sidesteps and crowd pleasing tries you see every weekend

Okay? Don't the kickers always look like they are about to slip over to you? Crowd pleasing tries? What the!?

Rugby League 2 benefits from far better controls. Not only deeper but far more intuitive. By simply pressing forward you can affectively scoot from dummy-half.

The AI has been much improved in Rugby League 2 and even individual players react more realistically to on-field situations - computer controlled teammates will go for intercepts, make tackles and if a kick is bouncing dangerously close to touch they'll hestitate to pick it up (before they'd just pick it up and run out).

Excuse me? This has only happened once to me... all the other times they have run out!

We bet there would be plenty of fans out there that would love to assemble an all-star State of Origin team, which may or may not be a licensing night-mare (Rugby League 3? we certainly hope so!).

Okay? Surely they hadn't looked at the commentary names, you can already do that!

shesh....

edit the game...it is fine. not great, but fun enough.

Like rugby 2005 it needs editing to be up to scratch (not pc editing, just editing).

enough on that though....lift the accuracy on passing and go about +20-40% on agility, speed, acceleration and leave the rest down (give catching +20)....and whollah! the game plays much better.

I know, I know....

"but the game should have just been made that way"....

bladdy blah blah....

Just edit it...

and remember what I said about this game too - remember how I barked on about the need for the button layout?...and what I said about RC2006 and how it would be ******** (I said 'must lose speed bar, must have jump, must have names close' etc etc...what happened?).....

more or less.....that's what ya got....and again we deserve better.

and yes I'll hire it anyway...it's rugby!

<
<

rugby 2005, though flawed, always had the best potential and best aspects.....NOW in rugby 06...that seems to have been also realised as fact.

I may be in exile.......but this message from the other side reveals little in the way of decent reasons for my departure initially.......for my predictions were true.

Enjoy the bliss.....and go the LOcksley with your reviews etc..as usual all class...even if....well....

put it this way....

hard level please Locksley......hard level. Need to know of difficulty and normal level, pro..whatever....is not for adults. Keep up the good work though!!
<

Originally posted by wow!aframeup!+Jan 23 2006, 05:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wow!aframeup! @ Jan 23 2006, 05:01 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jacko
@Jan 18 2006, 10:44 AM

shesh....

edit the game...it is fine. not great, but fun enough.

Like rugby 2005 it needs editing to be up to scratch (not pc editing, just editing).

enough on that though....lift the accuracy on passing and go about +20-40% on agility, speed, acceleration and leave the rest down (give catching +20)....and whollah! the game plays much better.

I know, I know....

"but the game should have just been made that way"....

bladdy blah blah....

Just edit it...

and remember what I said about this game too - remember how I barked on about the need for the button layout?...and what I said about RC2006 and how it would be ******** (I said 'must lose speed bar, must have jump, must have names close' etc etc...what happened?).....

more or less.....that's what ya got....and again we deserve better.

and yes I'll hire it anyway...it's rugby!

<
<

rugby 2005, though flawed, always had the best potential and best aspects.....NOW in rugby 06...that seems to have been also realised as fact.

I may be in exile.......but this message from the other side reveals little in the way of decent reasons for my departure initially.......for my predictions were true.

Enjoy the bliss.....and go the LOcksley with your reviews etc..as usual all class...even if....well....

put it this way....

hard level please Locksley......hard level. Need to know of difficulty and normal level, pro..whatever....is not for adults. Keep up the good work though!!
<
[/b]
Solid post Los.

Yay, he's back!

But Los, I wouldn't expect jumping in a sim, maybe the controls are bad, but hey! Sprint bar - that's a concern but I doubt it'll ruin my experience too much. RL2 was alright but was too hard to control, surely in a sim controling a player would be easier and more realistic than in an arcadey game?

I will certainly get Rugby 06 as soon as it comes out, but am undecided on whether it will be on the PC or PS2.

Thankyou for not being too abusive, and do you know how Mario is doing theses days?

He's dead. Los' army of truth halved him and his sales before you could say irnoic.

But that was going to happen to Trev, actually I haven't seen Trev for a while...

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 23 2006, 06:14 PM
It starts with L ends with Over.
don't worry I'll average a post a week...I'm over it.

But I love your guys info etc and so will often visit.

Hope everyone is.....oh who cares what I think.

I am not exactly los lover as los' heart was shredded to pieces by deceit (bar eric's bring back los.....god bless....It didn't go unnoticed Eric...thanks....you're a bigger man than me) when he lost all his hard earned posts...

Grew sick of one too many kaftaisms......and too few capsophonies....

most of what I said - harshly or not - was true. yet still I find the los lover biggest bullshitter award.

what a bunch of aholes....get a life an tarbh.

I see not everyone voted for me - even though I adorn the award in ***le....thank god for independent thought.

I voted for loratadine.....

of course.

PS - Learn to understand satire kaftka (people being treated unfairly can overreact)

and peace and love to all.......well, most.

<

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Jan 23 2006, 06:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Jan 23 2006, 06:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay
@Jan 23 2006, 06:14 PM
Good ol' Lover... [/b]
oh...

<

thanks

<

whoops....!!!!

1 post a week...

1 post a week.....

there's no place like home....

<

Originally posted by wow!aframeup!+Jan 25 2006, 12:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wow!aframeup! @ Jan 25 2006, 12:50 AM)</div>
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jan 23 2006, 06:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay
@Jan 23 2006, 06:14 PM

Good ol' Lover...
oh...

<

thanks

<

whoops....!!!!

1 post a week...

1 post a week.....

there's no place like home....

<
[/b]
One a week? At that rate you wouldn't be memorable enough for any awards next year. Think about it... Also, don't you love post counts?

[/not encouraging]

i now want the last 2 minutes back again from reading this...

its got nothing to do with the ***le, i dont know why i come back to this thread

lol the los is back in town. every complained about rl 2 not living up to the hype and rc206 is failing as well but seems to be getting off a light more lightly.

Originally posted by esoj@Jan 25 2006, 09:30 AM
lol the los is back in town. every complained about rl 2 not living up to the hype and rc206 is failing as well but seems to be getting off a light more lightly.
I'm sorry...I would like to agree or disagree accordingly with whatever you are saying...

however I speak only english.

<

as far as I can see, in my absence, people who have played rc2006 have stated it is flawed, annoying and nowhere near as good as rugby 06 (all utterly predictable and utterly predicted).....unless you think backplay isn't most important/attacking rugby most important...in which case may I suggest to those people they get the little intricacies by not being pussies and actually PLAY the game of rugby for real? Games are for fun and realism......not periodic realism and utter frustration and/or boredom.

The league was overrated and yet....if you check my post, I still defend it as it is somewhat customisable. My current version is much better than the version I spent a few hours initially playing. I had a lot of fun winning the nrl in fact and rate it close to rugby 2005, which once edited, was a passable game. I drew a game the other day 34-34 after winning 141-7...........that says a lot about the standard of opposition teams and their randomness on any given day once pumped up players and balance is reached in opposition squads. Too late to change really now as new game coming so soon........you played an8/10 game for 1year+ at a 7/10 level.......all to avoid three hours editing. I find that strange....or ignorant...or something.

Anyway, my comments on rc2006 and league were all sweet az bud. If that's what you were saying, but in Swaheli, then thanks and, yes, you are correct that I was correct.
<

As for 'halving slaes of rc2006', I see that awareness regarding the game has led many, if not MOST, to decide to hire it instead of buy....OR skip it altogether in favour of the update to rugby 2005. So, in a sense, considering I began the most intense aspects of the debate, perhaps I DID.
<

You see my beef was with lies and counter=productivity by Mario (when he pushed it further by denying it and insulting me - that was it....I bow to no one, hell, I'd knock Bush the f*** out if I ran into him in the street). My love or hate or otherwise of the game itself is not remotely affected by this. It is called amateur professionalism and is needed if one os to make consistent predictions etc.

Latest posts