• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Riki Flutey

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 30 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Er, you trolled both me and Charles. #21 & 31 specifically if you want to be pedantic. Slightly ironic that you're telling me to read when you seem to fail to read even your own stuff.

Again, if you don't agree with my view then why not tell the forum why instead of trolling?[/b]
i did i just told you where a response to your post is...!

calling you moronic or idiotic etc is not TROLLING, to TROLL you i would have to bate you... and constantly berate what you state

i didnt...

i posted that i thought your post was pointless,

then i posted a reply

understand ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 30 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 30 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er, you trolled both me and Charles. #21 & 31 specifically if you want to be pedantic. Slightly ironic that you're telling me to read when you seem to fail to read even your own stuff.

Again, if you don't agree with my view then why not tell the forum why instead of trolling?[/b]

calling you moronic or idiotic etc is not TROLLING, to TROLL you i would have to bate you... and constantly berate what you state

i didnt...

then i posted a reply

understand ?
[/b][/quote]

Mate calm down will you!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 30 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 30 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i didnt...

then i posted a reply

understand ?
[/b][/quote]

Pro-tip: it is spelled "bait", just for your information. In any case, on that loose criteria you did bait Charles on #31.

But you know what the funniest thing is? I co-admin this place and I let the "power" go to my head on a regular basis so right now it doesn't matter a jot right now what you think :lol:

Less of the trolling. Did I not just threaten to sic Steve-o on you?

Just be thankful you haven't angered Mite yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 30 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry, but there's a very real reason why there's a residency law. This isn't just for sport, but for everyday life! For example, my g/f who was born in Southend to English and Belgian perants moved to Wales when she was 3. Wales is all she knows, she speaks fluent Welsh, supports Wales in sport (though she's not overly interested in sport) and more importantly considers herself Welsh! How can somebody turn around and tell her she isn't, no-ones got the right to do that.

I know it's slightly different when it's just been three years, and I agree with Cyril that I could never represent or consider myself anything other than Welsh no matter if I moved abroad and never returned, but some people do.

Also, in alot of ways, someone who's been living in a country for three years, has more understanding than somone with a Welsh/English/NZ grand-parent![/b]

To qualify what I said earlier - you should be representing the place where you were born or where your parents were born - there are exceptions for sure, living in a country since early childhood or whatever with no intention of moving elsewhere of course should be considered legitimate. Though if your girlfriend moved to Italy and in three years time called herself Italian you'd give her a funny look right?

The point I was trying to make, however badly I expressed it, is that one should not be able to choose ones nationality for personal gain or advancement. Nationality should be something you feel, not something you have. Unfortunately, and call me a cynic, but I see sports people switching their nationality not becuase they feel some affinity to a particular nation, but because there is some advancement in it for them professionally - the first one i'm fine with, the second i'm not.

I've lived in England almost as long as I lived in Ireland, my wife is English, I've got a British passport, i've certainly played more rugby in England than in Ireland, I have no plans to move back to Ireland...if anyone suggested to me that I should support or pull on the jersey of England i'd make rude noises at them and no mistake.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Mar 30 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...if anyone suggested to me that I should support or pull on the jersey of England i'd make rude noises at them and no mistake.[/b]

I understand and respect your point, but now I've got images of you making farting noises whenever someone suggests you try out for England :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 31 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Mar 30 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...if anyone suggested to me that I should support or pull on the jersey of England i'd make rude noises at them and no mistake.[/b]

I understand and respect your point, but now I've got images of you making farting noises whenever someone suggests you try out for England :lol:
[/b][/quote]

thanks Prestwick, again you are inspired

haven't got a clue what you were talking about with moderating etc... sounds very boarding school prefect like...

slightly demonic, slightly ironic but mainly maronic

Bumbadum, I absolutely second your comment. you would never see me wear anything but red, i wish other rugby fans had the same sense of loyalty to their countries culture history and tradition.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 30 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 30 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i didnt...

then i posted a reply

understand ?
[/b][/quote]

Pro-tip: it is spelled "bait", just for your information. In any case, on that loose criteria you did bait Charles on #31.

But you know what the funniest thing is? I co-admin this place and I let the "power" go to my head on a regular basis so right now it doesn't matter a jot right now what you think :lol:

Less of the trolling. Did I not just threaten to sic Steve-o on you?

Just be thankful you haven't angered Mite yet.
[/b][/quote]

i dunno, when you **** off mite he just hijacks your account and makes peurile jokes...

I'll kick in with my massive ego... just be thankful you haven't angered the Mite-ey GingerG yet... ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Mar 30 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 30 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, but there's a very real reason why there's a residency law. This isn't just for sport, but for everyday life! For example, my g/f who was born in Southend to English and Belgian perants moved to Wales when she was 3. Wales is all she knows, she speaks fluent Welsh, supports Wales in sport (though she's not overly interested in sport) and more importantly considers herself Welsh! How can somebody turn around and tell her she isn't, no-ones got the right to do that.

I know it's slightly different when it's just been three years, and I agree with Cyril that I could never represent or consider myself anything other than Welsh no matter if I moved abroad and never returned, but some people do.

Also, in alot of ways, someone who's been living in a country for three years, has more understanding than somone with a Welsh/English/NZ grand-parent![/b]

To qualify what I said earlier - you should be representing the place where you were born or where your parents were born - there are exceptions for sure, living in a country since early childhood or whatever with no intention of moving elsewhere of course should be considered legitimate. Though if your girlfriend moved to Italy and in three years time called herself Italian you'd give her a funny look right?

The point I was trying to make, however badly I expressed it, is that one should not be able to choose ones nationality for personal gain or advancement. Nationality should be something you feel, not something you have. Unfortunately, and call me a cynic, but I see sports people switching their nationality not becuase they feel some affinity to a particular nation, but because there is some advancement in it for them professionally - the first one i'm fine with, the second i'm not.

I've lived in England almost as long as I lived in Ireland, my wife is English, I've got a British passport, i've certainly played more rugby in England than in Ireland, I have no plans to move back to Ireland...if anyone suggested to me that I should support or pull on the jersey of England i'd make rude noises at them and no mistake.
[/b][/quote]

I'm pretty sure that in rugby you represent a federation, not a country. So technically you don't even have to change nationality to play in a national side.

Personally I think the 3 years rule shows more commitment than the parents rule. I mean it's something you have to reflect on (living 3years somewhere and all) whereas you can have a parent born somewhere and still don't give a f*** for this country.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Mar 31 2009, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...and still don't give a f*** for this country.[/b]

That could be the case no matter what the scenario is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Mar 31 2009, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I mean it's something you have to reflect on...[/b]

You're right, i just believe that that "reflection" in this context would generally be geared towards professional gain, and that's what I disagree with.

is it not more important that the fans feel the team are a reflection of who represents them as a people..

the Scots and the Welsh were embarrassed to have token Southern Hemisphere players in their teams shirts. I for one felt like we were cheating.

I have always been surprised that People from other countries do not feel the same about MERCINARY players like Viankolai and Fulety...!

I often heard derogatory remarks about Shane Howarth and Brett Sinkinson from non welsh friends when they were in my team, even about Colin Charvis and Tom Shanklin!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 30 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i wish other rugby fans had the same sense of loyalty to their countries culture history and tradition.[/b]
Should your name not be GimleyWALES then no? Is there some kind of conflict?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have always been surprised that People from other countries do not feel the same about MERCINARY players like Viankolai and Fulety...![/b]
Not our place mate. As I said if the English say he's English enough, then he's English enough for me.

We dont really do it from an Irish rugby sense, but our poofball team was built on English and Scottish foundations for years. Tony Cascarino has absolutely no links to Ireland whatsoever and we played him for ages.

I suppose if it brings success people will accept anything. You celebrated each time Howarth scored a try yeah?

I definitely did when he scored at Wembley in '99 ;)

Not when he scored the winner against Neath in the Principality cup. :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
is it not more important that the fans feel the team are a reflection of who represents them as a people..

the Scots and the Welsh were embarrassed to have token Southern Hemisphere players in their teams shirts. I for one felt like we were cheating.

I have always been surprised that People from other countries do not feel the same about MERCINARY players like Viankolai and Fulety...!

I often heard derogatory remarks about Shane Howarth and Brett Sinkinson from non welsh friends when they were in my team, even about Colin Charvis and Tom Shanklin![/b]

in which case why are there no Asians playing for England?

What is important is that whoever does get picked to represent an international side can feel pride in doing so.

Fact is that England, and to a lesser extent the other UK countries, have a huge reach across the globe, thanks to history. We may not still be the centre of an Empire, but we are the 'mother country' for a lot of the commonwealth, especially the white members who can trace their ancestry back to the UK. This is why we have so many foreign links... not just in rugby; Graeme Hick, Mike Catt, Kevin Peitersen, Matt Stevens, Dylan Hartley, Andrew Strauss, Geraint Jones and so on are all recent England representatives with links elsewhere. We have a massive pull on immigrants from the Commonwealth, and there are 100s of 1000s of Australians, Kiwis, SAs, Indians etc. etc. in the UK as a result. We always have, and always will for the forseeable future, have players represent us who have come from elsewhere. France is the same. Australia and NZ are like that with the Pacific nations. That is what the modern English are, and it is reflected in wider society and not just the sports teams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 31 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I often heard derogatory remarks about Shane Howarth and Brett Sinkinson from non welsh friends when they were in my team, even about Colin Charvis and Tom Shanklin![/b]

What is important is that whoever does get picked to represent an international side can feel pride in doing so.

Fact is that England, and to a lesser extent the other UK countries, have a huge reach across the globe, thanks to history. We may not still be the centre of an Empire, but we are the 'mother country' for a lot of the commonwealth, especially the white members who can trace their ancestry back to the UK. This is why we have so many foreign links... not just in rugby; Graeme Hick, Mike Catt, Kevin Peitersen, Matt Stevens, Dylan Hartley, Andrew Strauss, Geraint Jones and so on are all recent England representatives with links elsewhere. We have a massive pull on immigrants from the Commonwealth, and there are 100s of 1000s of Australians, Kiwis, SAs, Indians etc. etc. in the UK as a result. We always have, and always will for the forseeable future, have players represent us who have come from elsewhere. France is the same. Australia and NZ are like that with the Pacific nations. That is what the modern English are, and it is reflected in wider society and not just the sports teams.
[/b][/quote]
The underwood brothers were malaysian thats asian

Geraint Jones plays for the ENGLAND AND WALES team, we are united in Cricket

Your reasoning sounds far more like an excuse for pillaging talent from smaller nations than giving an opportunity to select a side of English men

is this because there are so many foreigners playing in England now that you relate to kiwis south africans and south sea islanders than you do to English players ?

I do not think that players like Flutey, Vainkoali, Stevens, Hartley, and so on should play for England. Under the current rules in rugby preset by the IRB, England cheat the system to find better players than they have at their dissposal.

This should be stopped.

It is a mockery of international sport watching Italy versus Japan where over half the sides are imported rugby players.

Have these players got no pride in their origins....???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It is a mockery of international sport watching Italy versus Japan where over half the sides are imported rugby players.

Have these players got no pride in their origins....???[/b]

I remember watching the Scotland vs Italy game and McLean was tackling Danielli and thought it must all be very confsing for anyone who doesn't know rugby and these guys sound like they're wearing the wrong shirt.

That example is different of course because I'm sure McLean gets in on the Granny rule and Danielli is acutually Scottish (or at least I think he is). But yeah, It can all be a bit much at times.

By the by, the Japanese top leagues are very strict about the number of non Japanese players allowed in their teams so in fairness they are trying to bring players through.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 31 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 31 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
The underwood brothers were malaysian thats asian

Geraint Jones plays for the ENGLAND AND WALES team, we are united in Cricket

Your reasoning sounds far more like an excuse for pillaging talent from smaller nations than giving an opportunity to select a side of English men

is this because there are so many foreigners playing in England now that you relate to kiwis south africans and south sea islanders than you do to English players ?

I do not think that players like Flutey, Vainkoali, Stevens, Hartley, and so on should play for England. Under the current rules in rugby preset by the IRB, England cheat the system to find better players than they have at their dissposal.

This should be stopped.

Have these players got no pride in their origins....???
[/b][/quote]

Well I live in a city where 30% of people were born outside the UK and 42% are in an ethnic minority. So yeah I am used to having people of all types around me.

And it's hardly cheating the system. Flutey's switch has nothing to do with the RFU; Stevens has an English father; Hartley moved to England aged 16 and hence had most of his rugby education here plus 7 years residency; Vainikolo lived in England for 6 years and his children have English nationality, so he's like any other 1st generation immigrant.

And about pride... there are huge numbers of people who came to Britain from elsewhere and are proud to be British because it is a country that accepted them. It's not for you to decide which place they should be proud to be from.

Latest posts