• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 12: Lions v Bulls

D

Dumbo

The Lions after a week off take on the Bulls.
In some ways this is the match of the round as both teams will have a lot to prove.
The Bulls will be wanting the win to try and cement a place in the semis and the Lions will want it just to take out the Bulls.
Leaning towards to Bulls in a bit of a white wash in this one.

The Lions have one of their better S14 seasons but I think the Bulls will take this one!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :(

Should be a good game to watch for those who appreciate the dark arts of the scrum- Guthro Steenkamp vs. Brian Mujati- a RWC cert vs. a future Bok cert, and the new loosehead king in the post- sir Os Du Randt era of 2008, Heinke V D Merwe vs. ex-Framesby boykie Rayno Gerber. This battle alone should be worth the admission fee alone.

Also look out for a rested Jacques Fourie to put the big thug JP Nel firmly on his ass- always a great moment. In the halves, Fourie Du Preez, the Bok 1st-choice, vs. his understudy Ricky January. And of course, Bok flyhalf Andre Pretorius vs. evil lambchop sideburns himself, Liefling.

But of course, the Bulls also have IMO the world`s best second row pairing in Matfield and Botha, an area where the Lions are a bit vulnerable. I also reckon that the Bulls should take it, due to their greater experience at the coalface, but I`m hoping for a good showing by the Lions too.

One piece of good news for the Lions though- Geo Cronje made his long-awaited return to rugby last weekend, coming in off the bench for the Lions Vodacom cup team. Apparently he went well enough to be seriously rumoured to take his place in the starting line-up for this game.

Good old Geo- if a freaking John Deere tractor falling on your chest can`t stop you, how in hell will Bakkies? Just one more battle to look forward to- Botha vs Cronje.

LIONS TEAM:
1.Heike van der Merwe
2.Willie Wepener
3.Bertus Smit
4.Cobus Grobler aka (Varkhond)
5.Geo Cronje
6.Willem Alberts
7.Ernst Joubert
8.Jacques Cronje
9.Ricky Januarie
10.Andre Pretorius
11.Jaco van Schalkwyk
12.Jaco Pretorius
13.Jaque Fourie
14.Louis Ludick
15.Earl Rose (OH ****)
16Ethienne Reynecke
17.Brian Mujati
18.Anton van Zyl
19.Franco van der Merwe
20.Jano Vermaak
21.Louis Strydom
22.Cobus Grobbelaar aka Baywatch

Captain:Andre Pretorius

Excellent looking team for the Lions, especially good to see big Geo back. Varkhond and Geo as the 2nd row- possibly the 2 ugliest buggers in the history of rugby, playing together. But 2 more committed blokes you`ll struggle to find.

Would`ve liked to see Baywatch, the Bulls have struggled a bit this season with contesting on the floor, and he could`ve made a nuisance of himself. But I can certainly understand a loose trio of Alberts, Joubert and Cronje against the Bulls. Fight fire with fire, size with size and physicality with physicality.

It`s gonna be a bruising match.

I hope the Lions win. I've been amazed by their perfomances every week. I'm jumping on their bandwagon.

Lions by 8.

very true mate, the lions have been my secondary team this year. very impressed with them across the board. Geo and A Pretorius gives me great faith that the Lions can cause an upset this week. Go You Mighty Lions. Wont be a smashing , a tough game with some blood i think haha ... :ranting:

Lions by 4 ... and as for my team the Waratahs, so erratic who wud know. Prob highlanders by 30/40. :wah:

Latest posts