• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 18

Frawley playing really well...and injured. Poor lad can't catch a break.

What level is this team from Leinster? 3rd strength XV?

Larmour heard what Munstermuffin said about him and is taking it out on Munster.

I hereby retract any compliments towards JP Ferreira. Useless ****. Some mentally soft players out there TN.

Probably better for Munster that they lose without the BP so that they don't have to go away to Pretoria and can stay in Ireland.

Finally Edinburgh awaken from their 3 month slumber. One of their tries had two back to back out the back passes, so it seems they've got some of their mojo back and they look more like the side I was thinking as possible finalists. They are definitely missing Jamie Ritchie and Moyano, but I wouldn't be stunned it they knocked over the Stormers in Capetown. Crowd of 24k is fairly healthy (looked more, but alas not).

On Zebre, I'm strangely happy with their 1 win season in some ways. New coach Bergamaschi coming in midseason seemed to make an improvement and the away losing BP to Connacht today combined with an earlier away losing BP to Edinburgh shows some progress (both matches were genuine scares for the home side).

Absurd from Leinster. The only solution is to create a third tournament for them to play in so all their talent can get a regular run out.

Bit of a shame to have an all Irish QF and an all SA QF, but that's the way it goes.

That not a single Welsh team won this weekend really is taking the ultimate biscuit of what has been a poor season overall.

Furthermore, it was really noticeable how much bigger in height and muscle the Stormers players were compared to the Scarlets players, who they could just overpower.

Furthermore, it was really noticeable how much bigger in height and muscle the Stormers players were compared to the Scarlets players, who they could just overpower.
At least that being a good game was my one late game prediction that came true.

Absurd from Leinster. The only solution is to create a third tournament for them to play in so all their talent can get a regular run out.

The feckin jackeen barstewards tried to ruin Gaelic football with this shyt too.
Thank fek Mayo finally managed to man up and beat the hoors.

Pretending to be serious for a few seconds... it is... I don't want to use the word problem. A conveyor belt of talent like the Dublin schools system is never a problem.
It is an... issue... for the IRFU in that they don't want to be losing very good players of 19/20 years old that find their development stunted by being 5th or 6th in queue.

A great example of what is possible is Nick Timoney. Didn't make the Leinster academy, came up the road to us and he's probably our player of the season and now in around the fringes of the national squad.
If he had got offered a place in Leinster's academy, with the relatively limited gametime he'd have seen, would he be where he is now?

Whats the alternative?
4 Provinces get a draft pick of the academic year across the island?

The feckin jackeen barstewards tried to ruin Gaelic football with this shyt too.
Thank fek Mayo finally managed to man up and beat the hoors.

Pretending to be serious for a few seconds... it is... I don't want to use the word problem. A conveyor belt of talent like the Dublin schools system is never a problem.
It is an... issue... for the IRFU in that they don't want to be losing very good players of 19/20 years old that find their development stunted by being 5th or 6th in queue.

A great example of what is possible is Nick Timoney. Didn't make the Leinster academy, came up the road to us and he's probably our player of the season and now in around the fringes of the national squad.
If he had got offered a place in Leinster's academy, with the relatively limited gametime he'd have seen, would he be where he is now?

Whats the alternative?
4 Provinces get a draft pick of the academic year across the island?
Another issue is that like in any sport, if one team becomes too dominant it puts off fans and casual viewers. Not Leinster's fault, but being too successful can hurt you as well.

Am I seeing this right that Glasgow could win the URC but not qualify for the Champions Cup? I know it's unlikely to happen since they're away to Leinster in the playoffs but in the slim chance it did I'm not sure if I like the sound of that.

Am I seeing this right that Glasgow could win the URC but not qualify for the Champions Cup? I know it's unlikely to happen since they're away to Leinster in the playoffs but in the slim chance it did I'm not sure if I like the sound of that.
SUper rugby had the issue that the top Aussie side would- in what feels like every other year- go into the play offs ahead of the 4th NZ team which more likely as not was the 4th or 5th team in the entire comp.

I do expect that this year is a bit of an outlier though and expect in the future that we'll see at least Welsh sides inside of the top 8? Can't say I know much about Welsh rugby at this level.

On the plus side for my Stormers, I am very proud of our lads. Ending in 2nd place with the fewest losses of any side (even if not the most wins and there is the issue of the top NH URC sides having to battle on two fronts).

Not that anyone I believe would see the Stormers as the 2nd best side in this tournament. Probably 5th, possibly 6th is about where we ought to be. But that and the fact that we made it this far despite all the BS going on in our own backroom (prompting a ton of our top names to look for more stable environs) and with SARU as well only makes the achievement so much more impressive IMO. Few(ish) injuries helped but we've played some damn good rugby here and there. I look forward to the QF with Edinburgh in Cape Town.

I've no problem with it.

League performance over the year should be rewarded.

Most, if not all of us, would be in favour of the following:
Higher placed team should get home advantage in quarter finals.
Higher placed team should get stadium of choice in semi-finals.
Higher placed team should get stadium of choice in final.

So why not the same for the HEC spots? [and now realising my continued use of HEC will seem a bit daft... but I'll persevere anyway!]
Besides - how on earth would you make the spots up based on the playoffs?

Do an Italian team get auto qualification too or is it just the top of the Welsh conference?
Nope. Top of the Scottish/Italian shield only get auto qualifying (so Edinburgh get it and Glasgow miss out to the Ospreys). Happy enough with that to be honest. Benetton focussing on the URC without distractions is best for all concerned.

Nope. Top of the Scottish/Italian shield only get auto qualifying (so Edinburgh get it and Glasgow miss out to the Ospreys). Happy enough with that to be honest. Benetton focussing on the URC without distractions is best for all concerned.
Agree re Benetton I just don't think Wales should get an automatic spot if not all countries are going to be represented. Take the top 8 in the standings, if it's good enough to decide playoffs it's good enough to decide Euro spots.

Ahh, but it pulls European money out of those countries.

Which was part of the premise of the original HEC. (Before greed took over.)