• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

All the changes are just actually writing down what was already the rule of the road. I agree though, I thought zebra crossings were already written in - maybe it's the addition of "cyclists".

"If there's something in the road, and you can see it - try not to hit it" Though again, giving way to a waiting pedestrian has always been the polite thing, rather than the expected thing.

They closed M1 today at 12:30pm north of London and it just took me nearly 4 hours to get home. One accident (supposedly someone died- RIP) can cause such knock on chaos.

Part of the earlier conversation was about using your phone to pay for things its in the list of exceptions, https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

Using a phone, sat nav or other device when driving

It's illegal to hold and use a phone, sat nav, tablet, or any device that can send or receive data, while driving or riding a motorcycle.
This means you must not use a device in your hand for any reason, whether online or offline.
For example, you must not text, make calls, take photos or videos, or browse the web.
The law still applies to you if you're:
  • stopped at traffic lights
  • queuing in traffic
  • supervising a learner driver
  • driving a car that turns off the engine when you stop moving
  • holding and using a device that's offline or in flight mode

Exceptions

You can use a device held in your hand if:
  • you need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it's unsafe or impractical to stop
  • you're safely parked
  • you're making a contactless payment in a vehicle that is not moving, for example at a drive-through restaurant
  • you're using the device to park your vehicle remotely

Got an Amazon Auto for my car recently (was free for buying expensive tyres) works pretty well when there's a phone signal.

Missed one of the main ones, especially for motorway driving - tailgating. Apart from being extremely dangerous, tailgating restricts the drivers view of the road ahead due to being blocked by the car in front. As a result they can't foresee changes in traffic speed up ahead and are forced to react last minute to the car immediately in front = lots of braking = more use of the accelerator.

Missed one of the main ones, especially for motorway driving - tailgating. Apart from being extremely dangerous, tailgating restricts the drivers view of the road ahead due to being blocked by the car in front. As a result they can't foresee changes in traffic speed up ahead and are forced to react last minute to the car immediately in front = lots of braking = more use of the accelerator.
Yeah I can't stand tailgaters either and yes it's a damn waste of fuel then having to brake suddenly but that's their problem. On motorways I try and avoid getting tailgated if I am on one of the outside lanes by moving back to the left one, but still not a nice experience getting bullied into it.

But on normal roads there is no excuse for tailgating. I just put my hazard lights on temporarily to remind the tailgater they're getting too close and maintain my own speed. Usually that does the trick.

Riding one of those Beryl bikes down my local Town high street. It's a one way street, but there's a contra flow cycle Lane, allowing cyclists going the the other way, which is protected by plastic bollards from vehicular traffic. But too narrow for cyclists going in opposite directions.

Get annoyed by cyclists who ignore this and still choose to ride in the same Lane, despite clear signs and cycle Lane markings and could cause a collision. So shouted at the one who was that he was in the wrong side of the road. Get told to "shut up". Lol.

Been cycling recently. Been a real eye opener. But a few things recently have peeved me off.

- A pedestrian just walking out into cycle lane to cross the road without looking, despite me ringing my bell forcing me to stop from crashing into her. Tell her off and she just looks gormless and doesn't apologise or acknowledge anything wrong. 😡

- A Jogger in cycle lanes, plugged in, running in a contra flow cycle Lane, I am cycling in. Not paying any attention despite me ringing bell.
And despite there being a pavement for them to run on right next to the cycle lane. Forces another cyclist behind me to overtake potentially into oncoming traffic.

- Drivers not fully stopping at Stop signs behind the line and instead across a cycle Lane to join the main road; forcing me to stop from colliding into the car and having a go at her. Another one who is oblivious to her doing anything wrong. 🤬

Latest posts