• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

I've just started driving again after 3 years using just my bike and public transport. Biggest pet peeve so far, other drivers... That video above of the cyclist with a helmet cam being assaulted is why I was on the verge of getting a camera myself after almost being taken out multiple times on a very short journey to work in just 2 years.

For all the bad rep they get, bad cyclist don't tend to cause much damage, bad drivers are killing people and causing far more serious injuries. Exception for the deliveroo and the like people zooming around on bikes in pedestrian areas, they should be facing more punishments. They will see a crowd of pedestrians walking in a pedestrian area and think they have the right to go through the middle of them, only slamming on the brakes at the last second as they hope to intimidate people into getting out of the way.

Just got myself an e-bike but also techalogic dual camera fitted to my helmet. Got passed by 4 cars today within 1 metre of me including a double decker bus. Reported the driver to the police as footage captured clearly pass and got bus number, exact time and date. Fed up of drivers getting away with it but can't report everyone. As long as I am seen and don't get knocked off my bike.

No excuse for delivering e-bike riders not slowing right down in shared pedestrian areas. They should have the speed on their display. Like cars there should be signs of 5mph max IMO.

Just got myself an e-bike but also techalogic dual camera fitted to my helmet. Got passed by 4 cars today within 1 metre of me including a double decker bus. Reported the driver to the police as footage captured clearly pass and got bus number, exact time and date. Fed up of drivers getting away with it but can't report everyone. As long as I am seen and don't get knocked off my bike.
Fast response from the police who advised me they will be taking "positive action" which include:

- warning letter
- course offer
- points and fine
- court (if driver contests)

Best I could hope for.

I think the moral is Joe Public has to be walking CCTV camera to capture evidence where an offence has occurred. I was involved in an altercation yesterday when a man threatened to rip my f'ing face off if I didn't do what he told me to do. Had to whip out my phone and film him to back off.

Anyway can't go into detail as got to give a police statement later and the footage now belongs to the police and advised cannot share on social media to prejudice the case. Got to go through the process and see what comes of it. All down to "sufficient evidence" you can provide police.

Scary. Thankfully both survived.

This is 1.5m gap.

IMG_1930.jpeg

Reported two cars today:

IMG_1932.jpeg

IMG_1931.jpeg

Approximately 1m, but at the time felt like 0.5m gap.

That's 3 points and £100 fine if caught.

And I would like to ride my bike at least one time without a sodding vehicle treating me like an irritant and overtaking me within 1 metre. *Don't get angry, just report them* That's likely 6 points on their license and a £200 fine for careless driving.

When bears get trapped in your car. Neat trick to free it.

And I would like to ride my bike at least one time without a sodding vehicle treating me like an irritant and overtaking me within 1 metre. *Don't get angry, just report them* That's likely 6 points on their license and a £200 fine for careless driving.

Pointing to my camera when an arsehole driver is behind me and too close and wanting to do a close overtake seems to do the trick of making them think. Yes, think about getting points and a fine and having to tell their insurance company.

I can see why BMW drivers get such a bad rep. Cycled on road yesterday and one came up behind me. Pointed to my camera mounted on my helmet as an indication that he was being filmed but s/he still close passes by c.1m at an out 40+ mph. Almost colliding into oncoming car when he cut back in. Pillock!

Reported him/her and hopefully gets a nice NIP through the post shortly and 3-9 points on his license and a nice fine. Probably speeding as well. And then they can tell their insurance company and pay the increased premiums.

Reported him/her and hopefully gets a nice NIP through the post shortly and 3-9 points on his license and a nice fine. Probably speeding as well. And then they can tell their insurance company and pay the increased premiums.
Police now confirmed they will take "most appropriate positive action" which means either points/fine or driver awareness course. Likely former as they mentioned I may be needed to attend court in 6 months, if they challenge the action taken ie deny it. Don't see how though with the footage taken. I could see the passenger beside the driver they were that close.

Police now confirmed they will take "most appropriate positive action" which means either points/fine or driver awareness course. Likely former as they mentioned I may be needed to attend court in 6 months, if they challenge the action taken ie deny it. Don't see how though with the footage taken. I could see the passenger beside the driver they were that close.
Good to see you're taking action and hopefully if this happens enough, at least some of these pillocks will learn. I detest the level of dehumanisation that cyclists are subject to simply for using a different form of transport. The attitude we have allowed to fester in this country is a disgrace and one you would find much less prevalent in Europe. It seems as soon as your are on a bike, your life and well being are forfeit in a way they would not be if you were walking on the side of the road as a pedestrian. The ease with which drivers disregard the damage they can cause to cyclists by taking stupid risks is mind blowing. In essence threats to your personal safety using a car should be treated as any other threat to your safety through the misuse of tools or other machinery.

Thankfully I no longer cycle on the roads and my 10 min commute to and from work previously alone was bad enough.

It's a stupid situation where so man falsehoods are spread about cyclists. Car drivers whinge about cyclists using the roads, whinge about them on pavements and whinge if money is spent on dedicated segregated infrastructure. They also love to claim cyclists don't pay "road tax". It doesn't seem to matter how often they are told road tax doesn't exist, roads are funded through council tax (which cyclists pay same as anyone else) and that the tax on cars is a tax on their emissions, so some car drivers also don't pay it. It's like a smoking claiming a non-smoker shouldn't use a hospital because they don't pay the tax on tobacco. As soon as it is framed that way, it becomes abundantly clear what an idiotic comment it is.

/rant

Last edited:
Yeh I really have to choose my routes carefully. I want to get off the road as much as I can.
But I have to cycle on them to get to quieter routes/cycle paths. It really is the fight for space. Apparently one in five do not know the updated Highway Code rules on hierarchy of Pedestrians, cyclists, Horses, car, lorries/buses.

The lack of proper proper cycle routes protected from vehicles is the main problem. We just don't have the space. And even when cycle routes are put on roads and shared pavements they are bloody confusing or suddenly end for no reason.

But also being a driver as well, I know the mentality of some drivers is "I can do what I want" and "don't tell me what to do" until they get caught. It boils down to a lack of consideration for others which is more and more apparent in our society and reflected on the roads. I just don't want them to get away with it as I know they'll do it again to others.

I can see why BMW drivers get such a bad rep.
As BMW driver two things have become apparent since.

1) Assholes are assholes regardless of what car they drive. All a "high performance" car does is give you the ability to do things other cars can't. For example I can safely pass a bike (leaving enough room etc.) in less distance than other cars. What the assholes do is think their car stupidly superior and they don't need to leave gaps or actually obey the laws. They'd do the same in a Kia if they could and I've seen plenty of other cars not use signal etc.

2) If you are driving a BMW people will act like idiots around you because you are one. Come across far more people deliberately going slow or riding my arse than I ever did with the Mini or the Ford before that. I don't drive any differently, I just accelerate faster...

As a scooter rider many years ago I learnt everyone on the road is asshole. Even cyclists the other day I was on a 60 and there was a couple cycling (nothing wrong with that) but because the male had clearly decided he wasn't going to cycle with his partner and left a large enough gap that not car could safely pass one then the other. But no car could safely pass both. So they were holding up tons of traffic.

Latest posts