• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

One for the pedestrians. Drivers who drive through pedestrian crossings when pedestrians clearly waiting to step on and cross or stepped foot and are walking on the crossing. I've been half way across one and the driver, including bus drivers have seen me and just kept going and I've had to stop on the crossing or be run over. MFs.

Ive had this alot with cyclists, about to walk out and they fly over. If they use the road same as cars then they have to stop at crossings, ive seen them go through traffic lights and the crossings with the traffics lights (for the life of me i cant remember what they are called). Also when they use the paths to avoid traffics lights.

So I am driving along a main road at the speed limit when a car from a side road to my left just pulls out in front of me forcing me to brake to stop me from going into the back of him and I honk my horn in frustration.

He winds down his window and starts giving me the two fingers and gesticulating with his hand that I am giving him back chat. And I make sure he can see me give the middle finger back. What goes through the mind of such drivers that they can't see what they have done is remotely right - not the swearing and gesticulating but to suddenly pull out onto a main road without due regard to traffic on the main road?:confused:

My sister was involved in an accident a couple of weeks ago. Driving on a main road at 40 and a car coming from the opposite direction, attempting to cross her path to get to a side road to my sister's left, signals and maneuvers in one motion and smashed right into my sister's car's right wheel/front right door. She didn't give my sister a chance to avoid the collision. The culprit initially apologized and asks if my sister is ok, but then accuses my sister of speeding.:confused:Unbelievable!!!!:mad:

Police were useless - didn't even breathalize either driver - my sister doesn't drink, but as a matter of procedure should have breathalised both of them - it was Friday night at 11pm. Even worse post accident the other driver now says she was stationary when my sister's car hit hers. Well the impact points on both cars don't lie and unless my sister drove into the other car side ways - my sister's cat's right wheel was caved inwards from the impact, then it'll show the liar the other driver is.:mad::mad:

I nearly hit a cyclist there three weeks ago, I was turning into a main road as he was cycling by and I had to turn harder to avoid him. I didn't see him and had I hit him I'd have been totally at fault.

But, I was driving in the Dublin mountains, lots of trees and bushes around there, green all year round. This thrill seeker was wearing dark green and black cycling gear and just blended into the background. I'd have accepted responsibility had I hit him but I don't understand why anyone would be so reckless as to virtually camouflage themselves on their Sunday cycle, regardless of who's wrong the collision is going to hurt him more than me!

As indicators have been done...

Cyclists with those blindingly bright strobing lights! Brighter than full beam headlights on cars, right at eye level then black/nothing then blind again. Had to totally stop my car once on an A road as it was so bad. How is that even legal? Also seen cyclists with multiple lights that do this. Why?

So many bad drivers, including driving on the wrong side of the road.

And texting whilst driving Mr Guy Ritchie:

That top video is ridiculous, impatient drivers again. That's obviously an extreme example, but I still find it hugely annoying when drivers cut the junction forcing me to slam my brakes on as I approach. So many drivers do it and I don't understand what they're saving.

Last edited:

Anyone used their mobile to pay whilst going through a drive thru? Didn't realise it could technically lead to 6 points on your license and £200 fine. Done this countless of times.
Has anyone actually been prosecuted for doing so?

The law is more written for being situations where you need to be aware of the rest of the road such as traffic lights. I don't think a copper is ever going to get you at a drive thru. Otherwise the drive thru would have clear signs to turn your engine off before paying.

Has anyone actually been prosecuted for doing so?

The law is more written for being situations where you need to be aware of the rest of the road such as traffic lights. I don't think a copper is ever going to get you at a drive thru. Otherwise the drive thru would have clear signs to turn your engine off before paying.
Good question. Personally i don't want to find out, so will be paying by my watch or card Next time. Only takes someone with a camera (on their car) or even like that YouTuber on a bike To send it to the police with the car's number plate.

Technically, according to our law use of mobile phone even whilst stationary contravenes the road traffic act, which is why Guy Ritchie got caught. Thinking he could check his phone whilst in slow moving traffic.

It boils down to whether you're using your mobile as an interactive communication device.

Regulation 110(6)(c) provides a non-exhaustive list of "interactive communication functions" such as: sending or receiving oral or written messages, sending or receiving facsimile documents, sending or receiving still or moving images, and providing access to the internet. As internet communication is included, the interaction does not therefore have to be with another person.

Well, in the under 5 mile school run just now I followed 2 annoying drivers, one in an Audi, the other in a Golf and was cut-up by a van.

Audi driver was worse as he was intentionally impatient, overtaking on a roundabout, cutting up the driver inside him as he switched lanes; then forced his way past a couple more cars on the slip road whilst straddling the diagonal lines.

Golf driver may have been unsure where he was going, but still resulted in him cutting up a few cars whilst he switched lanes at the last second to take a junction off the dual carriageway.

The van was on a roundabout near me, one of the ones with about 3 lanes marked out. I've come to learn that around 3/4 or drivers ignore the lanes and cut across the lane inside them to 'smooth out' the roundabout, so always keep back. This white van came past me though and still did the same, casing me to have to brake, ******!

I'd up the fine personally, or maybe change it to one of those sliding scale fines depending on your earnings. No reason for anyone to mess with their phone whilst driving. If the car is fully stationary I'm less concerned about though.

6 points is a good deterrent though.

Now to crack down on tailgating, especially on the motorway, that will genuinely save lives.

Yeh the six points is the bigger deterrent as those caught have declare it to their insurance for the next 4 years?. That'll push up their premiums. Those with points already on their license and totting up to 12 points will then get banned.

No reason for anyone to mess with their phone whilst driving.
Only time I touch my phone when driving is to see the satnav map / directions.

Which seems safer to me than the old (and still legal) method of a huge road map, where you have to find where you are as well as where you're going, and then wprk out what the road's likely to do.

Only time I touch my phone when driving is to see the satnav map / directions.

Which seems safer to me than the old (and still legal) method of a huge road map, where you have to find where you are as well as where you're going, and then wprk out what the road's likely to do.
Same. I think I'm going to get one of those things that you clip your phone into that sticks to your dashboard though.

Don't know what it's called but every taxi driver in Dublin uses one.

Same. I think I'm going to get one of those things that you clip your phone into that sticks to your dashboard though.
Had one of those for years before getting my new car, they're brill - especially the wireless charging ones that plug into the cigarette lighter

Don't know what it's called but every taxi driver in Dublin uses one.
Last time I tried one of those, it was different ones for different cars - as somone who doesn't own a car, but rents, I'd have to have had about 6 of the things.
So I use the passenger seat, and sometimes have to touch it.

The large touchscreen satnav in modern cars is the only thing I miss driving an older car.

There are some aftermarket 9" android touchscreen units I can get for mine with all the modern features like sat nav, dab, spotify, carplay, android auto, reversing camera etc. so I'll be getting that soon.

Latest posts