• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 08 confirmation ?

Got some bad news guys... apparently there will be no next (current) gen Rugby 08. So it's just PC and PS2. Also 08 is basically 06 with the official World Cup and new rosters, same engine etc. Nothing wrong with that, but as fans of the series we probably want more.

Of course confirmation of this is needed, but I believe it.
[/b]

If thats the case I cant really see EA's logic with this one. Why bother with a niche ***le for PS2 and PC only? What on earth do they expect to get from it? The money spent on development could have been spent on another more profitable ***le.

The only possibility I can see is that they commissioned HB studios to do a set number of rugby ***les?

Do EA do any of their other sports ***les for past gen and PC only? If they dont then I really dont see why they would take this tact with rugby.

Another point, I really couldnt see M$ being all that happy that none of their consoles would be receiving this ***le. It really wouldnt show them in a good light at all, sony gets it for ps2, pc gets it but xbox's can go shite. Nah looking at it from that angle I really cant see their being neither an xbox or xbox360 version. M$ will definately want this 360 as xbox means nothing to them now.

it would be a really werid move not to have it on a next gen console at all. to my knowledge all of the ea sports games have come out on next gen console not well made but still on next gen.

it would be a really werid move not to have it on a next gen console at all. to my knowledge all of the ea sports games have come out on next gen console not well made but still on next gen.
[/b]
The way I see it and as you all should know being a 'niche ***le' the game just would not be very profitable if they released it on either of the next gen consoles at this point in time. The PS3 and 360 to a lesser extent are still building a user base and to put the game out on these consoles at this time even if it is just a straight port with touched up graphics would be a bad decision financially imo.

A 360 version later in the year with better gameplay features and graphics and online and stuff could be a system seller so time will tell.

The original Xbox is dead and buried, there is no way EA would want to put it on there as most people who own an Xbox now have it chipped with a hard drive, so not a hard decision there on EAs part.

Forgot to add earlier that it's no game for X360/PS3 in the foreseeable future ie in 07 ... that's not to say Rugby09 in 08 isn't on the cards still.

Its a bloody joke that EA can get away with this... but I did kind of have a feeling about this, as I couldn't find Rugby 07/Rugby 08 on Amazon for the 360... only on PS2 and PC...

If Only EA would come out and make the announcement people would be a lot happier...

True I think that's a sticking point with people, that it is just speculation at this stage, put us out of our misery if no next gen is the case, we'd rather know now, and proceed towards making the most of R06/R08.

Or they could just make Rugby 06 Compatiable for 360 at the mo, I would be happy with that...

Exactly, can't be that hard to make the patch so it'll play, at least that would be something...

Well I discovered they took off Rugby 2005 off because there was problems with it...

thats a real let down.. how much work did they put in this game? being over a year since 06, all they did was a licensed world cup and updated rosters???

this was definitely a ploy to cash in from the world cup this year... get a few bucks from a really half arsed job that sounds like they could've finished in a couple weeks!

hopefully they'll surprise us with something other than 06 + world cup

ye i hope so. Maybe like the fifa trick stick, really brought a new dimension/exitment to the game!!!
Signature moves!! maybe i'm being optamistic (sorry can't spell it).

Wow. That is a big letdown. Oh well, no need for me to buy a next gen console for a long time now. I can continue to wait for prices to fall. I'd of bought a new console as soon as it came out, if it had gone that way.

I agree about X-Box. Its dead as with the number of people who chipped them. Myself included, although I paid for my copy of '06 on X-Box anyway, just to support the ***le.

The "reliable" wikipedia has Rugby 08 listed with lineout calls and 'custom moves' as features, which to me this description if reliable puts a new twist on the 'creative scoring' feature on the back cover.

If HB/EA was to implement a custom set play feature as well as better on the fly defence, even if the whole game is the same bar these additions OMG! *messes pants* Added gameplay depth would be huge.

But I won't get hyped about it because there is nothing to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that these features are in the game as I took that description to mean...yet, it is probably just going to be an updated 06 or that is what I will expect ...for now...

Oooo custom moves would be good! I'd make one like the backline move the Broncos use all the time to great effect. The cut, cut, pass....it's used to great effect within the opposition 20. Fellow Broncos supporters will know the move I'm talking about.

Actually, 06 with custom set moves and current teams/players would definitely still be worth getting, just have to dust off the PS2 is all I spose...

Priority1player posted this on one of the EA forums:

'Hey pal,
There is no Rugby 2007 coming out this year. if they were going to put it out, it would have been done last year. That's the bad news..... however
Rubgy 2008 is coming out in late July this year in New Zealand, unsure about anywhere else in the world, I'm guessing round the same time though.
I work for a gaming company, and have been asking EA Aports the questions
There are plans that 2008 will have some minor changes to the game but also some add-ons. eg

1. you can't end the game by kicking it out (that's a new rule coming in next year to rugby union)
2. There is going to be a referee on the field
3. you can controll the direction of your offloads
4. slow motion replays for the real awesome plays etc
5. touch judges
6. more music selections in the menus
7. updates players

that's all I can think of at the moment, think there was about 10 changes though, will post another reply as I remember them. hope this info helped:) '

Yeah, they sound like more realistic changes...not too drastic, just enough to make people buy it.

hearing bout that sort of stuff, does make it better than 06 + world cup lol

about the customs moves, it would be neat to make your own moves!

finally we might get to see refs in the game? be nice to hit one of them

wikipedia also says a sevens tournament!!! :eek::O and thats its also going to be released on xbox360!!:O:O:O hopefully someone didnt just edit that info in!!! tho i'm not getting my hopes up

Mate, it is Wikipedia and anyone can say whatever they like and edit stuff, so I wouldn't be holding my breath. A 7's tournament would be awesome...but I've got my suspicions.

hearing bout that sort of stuff, does make it better than 06 + world cup lol

about the customs moves, it would be neat to make your own moves!

finally we might get to see refs in the game? be nice to hit one of them

wikipedia also says a sevens tournament!!! :eek::O and thats its also going to be released on xbox360!!:O:O:O hopefully someone didnt just edit that info in!!! tho i'm not getting my hopes up
[/b]

as thats dierctly contrary to the info we seem to be getting from every other source i would suggest it probably is bull.

SUPER14.gif

super 14 animated gifs by me.