• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 08 NEW INFO!

Great info Locksley, I was hoping you might expand on some of your initial impressions about the players feeling more "weighty" and the game seeming more slick, does this mean the animations have been sped up or removed/reduced and most of all please tell us why you think it feels a little like the cursed 2004. Thanks.

<div class='quotemain'> try the camera angle from the side locksley, thats who i always use it and once you get used to it its a pretty good view. [/b]

I did, and it's awful. it goes too far out. you can zoom it in, but I can't seem to get it right. I cannot defend on side view at all.

[/b][/quote]

thats the secret AI difficulty level they add in :lol:

Great stuff Locksley! Thanks for the info :) You are doing a great job.

However people we have to all realise something abut Locksley when it comes to his actual ability at playing a game..haha...hes a bit on the useless side :cheers: ....so if he sounds down about the game its not all doom and gloom lol! This may be a good sign because he was happy with all of them before except R2006.....so things could be looking up :D He also plays on those weird end on cams and has never been able to defend properly from the side view.....I think that says it all lol! No offence locks....btw...I have taken a photo of a car here in Auckland that had as its number plate "Loxley"

Just give the game to some seasoned animation cancelling people...and we will work out ways to bend the programme to make it play much much better...only last week I found out another way to better receive the ball on the run at any angle you want...much better than the instant takeoff move :)

So yeah Locks....the game could actually be ok.....keep the info coming though so we can already start planning ways of bending the programming hehe.....

[/b]

Well that was kinda reasurring, hey Gay Guy any chances of posting this new move?

<div class='quotemain'> Great stuff Locksley! Thanks for the info :) You are doing a great job.

However people we have to all realise something abut Locksley when it comes to his actual ability at playing a game..haha...hes a bit on the useless side :cheers: ....so if he sounds down about the game its not all doom and gloom lol! This may be a good sign because he was happy with all of them before except R2006.....so things could be looking up :D He also plays on those weird end on cams and has never been able to defend properly from the side view.....I think that says it all lol! No offence locks....btw...I have taken a photo of a car here in Auckland that had as its number plate "Loxley"

Just give the game to some seasoned animation cancelling people...and we will work out ways to bend the programme to make it play much much better...only last week I found out another way to better receive the ball on the run at any angle you want...much better than the instant takeoff move :)

So yeah Locks....the game could actually be ok.....keep the info coming though so we can already start planning ways of bending the programming hehe.....

[/b]

Well that was kinda reasurring, hey Gay Guy any chances of posting this new move?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah when I get around to it I will put it into the tips thread....or maybe I already have....it is pretty much one of the old moves done with the first five standing and recieving...nothing super revolutionary....just another situation where an old move has been found to work.

Here's 1 for u lox,

How good are Isa Nacewa and Rocokoko? The blues are top class. Ask Knowsley :D

[/b]

All pace and no ********. I just wish the player creator was better so I could put the wrecking sponge in the game and smash them to pieces. :bleh!:

Can the scrum half pick the ball up from a scrum and run with it (like in JLR)? you couldn't do this simple thing in rugby 06.

So far the videos look rubbish - same as r2006

Can the scrum half pick the ball up from a scrum and run with it (like in JLR)? you couldn't do this simple thing in rugby 06.

[/b]
well looking at the video all they done is up the graphic on it which is so crap

this franchise in my eyes could be like madden in it success as long as ea took it on board fully

online would me massive, similar game engine to madden the up side is endless just wish they ea stiffs
would take it to the next level

The turnovers r gonna b a very important issue (especially on elite). How many phases can u get thru on average.

Couple more points.

Good!

Attacking play is great, I'd say 20-30% better than 06 and certainly no worse.

Kicking in general play feels better

Good crowd sounds even singing "It's a long way to the tryline" ha ha

Forwards run onto the ball better

Quicker set plays

Less frequent turnovers, even when isolated out wide.

AI far better than 06, the AI actually puts some thought into attacks and defend like trojans, especially on their own line.

"Weighty" players. More momentum, not as light and floaty.

Great "TV style" replays of certain action.

Bad

Camera angles...yuck! Side view fans will love their view but classic 2 fans will feel ill. Defending is atrocious on the end to end views cos the camera doesn't switch behind the attacking team.

STILL animation routines kick in so you can't squeeze passes away at the last second.

Drop Goals are horrible! There's a new meter and you have to stop it dead in the middle to drop a goal. it's crap!

I knocked on due to a high tackle. The ref sent the tackler off, but gave the scrum to the defending side for the knock on!!!! WTF

Gap between center and wing STILL there!

ALL the players STILL follow the ball carrier

There's a distinct whiff of Rugby 2004-ness to the graphics at certain points.

It's VERY similar to Rugby 06, and is a complete cash in.

Creative scoring????? I'm flummoxed as to what the hell that's all about???

Same commentary, same comments!

I really can't make my mind up with this. When I've got the ball in hand, the game's a joy to play, however, when defending i HATE it. I loved defending in rugby 06 as much as attacking, but I cannot get to grips with it in 08 due to the bloody stupid camera angles. Why did they change it??????????????

I'll add more when I've played more

Bugger, good thing I wasn't going to bother until it comes down in price. Still, thanks for the info locks.

interesting. at least it will be a bit different and will require a bit ofgetting used to.
i really didnt like the last one for a few days but grew into it. i hope the same will be the case this time.

locks, a thought on creative scoring:

in 06 (and pos 05) if you tap the x button (ps2) rather than hold or press it over the line, your guy would just dot the ball down while running rather than do one of eth ridiculous dives? perhaps different buttons or different weight of button presses will do different things this time?

"Putting the ball down differently" would be a great feature and well worth 40 quid I reckon. Or not.

Any idea if there are any new controls in the game, like perhaps a button to stay facing the ball-carrier when defending so you can strafe or something?

interesting. at least it will be a bit different and will require a bit ofgetting used to.
i really didnt like the last one for a few days but grew into it. i hope the same will be the case this time.

locks, a thought on creative scoring:

in 06 (and pos 05) if you tap the x button (ps2) rather than hold or press it over the line, your guy would just dot the ball down while running rather than do one of eth ridiculous dives? perhaps different buttons or different weight of button presses will do different things this time? [/b]

Yeah, that's still in, but if that's the case, why wasn't it called creative scoring in rugby 06????

Dear oh dear oh dear

Just played a game on pro level, I was all blacks v Argentina. Played it on near Hover cam. Excellent for attacking, woeful for defending, but the best angle I could get used to!

Now you know I'm not the best player in the world, in fact, far from it, but I beat Argentina 63-12 in a FIVE MINUTE HALF MATCH.

Everytime I had the ball, I scored. Run up the middle with one man, run wide with one man. It's awful. The rugby 2004 easy try scenario is back with a vengence. Argentina had the ball TWICE in the ENTIRE GAME..... AND SCORED BOTH TIMES!!!!

It's far too easy to score and far too easy to let tries in.

I hate it! I'm so gutted:(

yeah but thats pro level, on 06 thats not hard to do at all. though it was still quite a low scoring match for only 5min halves on pro. you could just be getting better at attacking?

i would love to know what elite level is like...

im not worried about them scoring when they get the ball - cause i havent let in a try in 06 for about 6months (verse cpu)

Yeah, I was superb at defending in 06. If a try was scored, it was through your own fault.

Rugby 08 seems to have a split second lack of control when defending and the first two defenders seem to move away from the ball carrier, making breaking the line very easy.

I'll put the game on elite tomorrow and play with two even sides. I'll film it and post the results.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
well looking at the video all they done is up the graphic on it which is so crap

this franchise in my eyes could be like madden in it success as long as ea took it on board fully

online would me massive, similar game engine to madden the up side is endless just wish they ea stiffs
would take it to the next level

[/b][/quote] welcome to the real world there just isn't the market for rugby games (no matter how much we love rugby) for it to match a madden game you need to lower your expectations. B)

my first game on rugby o6 was on pro level wales vs england 5 minutes half match and i won by a cricket score!!

Latest posts