• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012

I don't want the controls to get too complex, as I can't use the r-stick or the d-pad, so I would like to see alternate control options. NHL 09 did this well. I can understand why set plays are mapped to the d-pad, and I'm happy to go without them, but I'd like to be able to do lineouts without asking my carer for help. (Which makes competing for the opponents throw nigh on impossible.)
Yeah, NHL 09 had the perfect amount of mixing the controls together,
One thing that could be cool, if brought over from NHL, if there is a be a pro mode, is the rating at the end of the match. In FIFA they just give you a rating out of 10, and list your stats, but in NHL they give you A-F grading for different aspects of your game, such as positioning, which could crossover to rugby, where positioning is quite a big part

Hi there; just discovered that this was being made and it's certainly lightened up my revision packed day!

Anyways, these would be my thoughts as to how the game could be the best rugby one yet:

Have more accurate player stats - on the last Rugby game, Matt Stevens was down as a Prop and a Centre, what's going on there?! Perhaps being able to train a player to play in a position; also maybe stats could change when playing in non-usual positions like on Madden; some players turn out to be better in an alternate position. And cut out any of these star players, that was rubbish.

Licensed leagues and kits would be great, although the latter isn't as important as the first.

Lions tours and career modes (none of the World League stuff!) where you can sign on players, etc. and play maybe 15 seasons or something like on Fifa?

Improve defence - as mentioned, get the "hit stick" from Madden in here, it's a great feature and there's nothing more satisfying than nailing someone full on with that! Make it more difficult to score tries, or give us harder difficulty levels.

Attacking controls more indepth; use the "hit stick" idea again for dropping the shoulder and sidesteps, then bringing in a chip kick with spare keys if possible?

Don't have the system from Rugby 08 where if a player wasn't registered in a position but was played there, he'd drop the ball every time. It was a nightmare, especially as the regos for many players were wrong!

On the graphics note, if the Madden engine could be used, it'd be awesome for creating players and the in game players!

If this was all encorporated I'd be a very happy man; nevertheless it'll just be nice to get a rugby game on 360.

I have been looking forward to this game since i saw that Lewis Moody was listed as a centre on Rugby 08 so i have had alot of time to think of some ideas. Most of my ideas are based on mini games like they are in actual life such as the lineout and the scrums. They are not features but actual ideas for improving the gameplay. These are made on the assumption that the game will operate like a next gen sports game and with 1.5 years to work on the game i'm sure they could be implemented.

1.Kicking: Chip kicks, as well as length and hang time of kicks is key as it is such a large part of the game nowadays.

2. Rucks:
I think a system where after the ball carrier is tackled you could control the closest player to the ruck and either move into the line or accelerate into the ruck.
You could either take the tackler off the ball carrier with (A for instance) or clear out the player with a shoulder hit (B).
After this player has made the hit you could then control the next player and decide his path. This would make a change to the constant tapping of A to make a player join a ruck which is tedious and would introduce a dynamic way of winning the ball back.

3. Lineouts: In the lineouts i think you should have a series of plays available similar to the madden play calling system where you select what will happen. This would sort out the jumping as i think the throwing should be the mini game part of the lineout. Something simple but satisfying would be good maybe something like he goal kicking element of madden with the power and direction changeable.

4. Scrums: If the scrums were actually influenced by the scrummaging ratings of the props and the weight of the Locks this could be an enjoyable part of the game. The initial hit is important so holding down the analog and then pushing it to the right for the hit could work. Control at the base of the scrum is also important as the option of controlling the number 8 or the scrum half would be useful.

Any other ideas would be good to see

One thing i noticed while playing 08 last night is that supporting players are pants,
If you break through the gain line, your team won't run to keep up with you, they'll just jog along, so if you do get into a good position, you've got no support as they're still halfway down the field

These ideas are great! I just hope they listen to them..

How long do ye think it will be untill there will be a few announcements made????

All i want to know is,is there any point in me coming on here every day or should i wait for another month to check again!

There are loads of good ideas in these forums too.
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/rugby-series/

Last edited:
PLEASE. A crooked throw in the lineout is NOT a penalty offence...
Lineout needs changing from 08- it was way too easy to steal opposition ball by jumping at the front.
AI was pretty bad in 08, as has been said.
Perhaps more realistic punting distances from the outhalves? And maybe better positioning from the back 3.
Possibly for higher difficulties, greater control and skill required in scrums and mauls? Some suggestions have already been made. Perhaps a greater influence on the hit in the scrum, down to the players timing on the word 'Engage'.
I agree that the superman tackle should be scrapped.
Licensing and the Magners league (that means adding Connacht!)
Maybe different defensive options-blitz or drift...
Hmmm thats all I can think of... for now...

PLEASE. A crooked throw in the lineout is NOT a penalty offence...

Actually...

IRB Law 19
Section 19.7 (c):
A player must not intentionally or repeatedly throw the ball in not straight
Sanction: Penalty kick on the 15-metre line

While it drove me totally crazy quite a few time, the game couldn't have known if it was intentional or not.
But I agree, the game should stick with a incorrect involuntary throw in (until video games have a way to test brainwaves to determine the intention of the offence :p)
The critical point is, let's not forget: on such an offence, the opposing team have the choice of throwing in at a lineout or a scrum on the 15-metre line.
Even though in modern rugby they choose a scrum 99.9% of the time, the choice is in the rules, and should be in the game as well.

Just playing it now, another thing is the speed of grubbers,
The player does them too slow, so more than half the time I get tackled mid kick causing a knock-on

Actually...

IRB Law 19
Section 19.7 (c):
A player must not intentionally or repeatedly throw the ball in not straight
Sanction: Penalty kick on the 15-metre line

While it drove me totally crazy quite a few time, the game couldn't have known if it was intentional or not.
But I agree, the game should stick with a incorrect involuntary throw in (until video games have a way to test brainwaves to determine the intention of the offence :p)
The critical point is, let's not forget: on such an offence, the opposing team have the choice of throwing in at a lineout or a scrum on the 15-metre line.
Even though in modern rugby they choose a scrum 99.9% of the time, the choice is in the rules, and should be in the game as well.

You sunk my battleship... :p

Another thing I would like to see in the game is custom tours, e.g. Springboks tour to England where you can play against club teams like Leicester Tigers, Bath ect.. and then against England.That would be really fun!

Another thing I would like to see in the game is custom tours, e.g. Springboks tour to England where you can play against club teams like Leicester Tigers, Bath ect.. and then against England.That would be really fun!
Musn't...make...reference...to...recent...Springbok....tour...

Just playing it now, another thing is the speed of grubbers,
The player does them too slow, so more than half the time I get tackled mid kick causing a knock-on

Yes grubber kicks were ridiculously slow to perform, I never used them because of that.
The kicking play has to be improved to make the game realistic.

Another thing that bothered me on '08 was the huge difference between star players and regular players, especially at fly-half.
You could easily find a touch near the opponent goal line from your 22 with Carter, Wilko etc... which was realistic in itself but too easy to perform every time.
The problem was, most of the "regular" fly-halves could barely go between midfield/10m line. This was too much of a difference.
I understand that star players have to have an incentive, but this was a bit too much IMO.
Same goes for penalty/conversion kicks.
It was too easy with star players, you could have a 95% season at the post...
And for most "regular" fly-halves, it was a pain to take the goal.

Yeah, playing against Carter is ridiculous, whenver he gets the ball, he'll hoof it 60m down field, making it bounce out just short of the tryline

Yeah, playing against Carter is ridiculous, whenver he gets the ball, he'll hoof it 60m down field, making it bounce out just short of the tryline

Or Wilkinson, Montgomery or Henson. There were a few with exceptionally long kicks. I'm not all for completely standardising the kickers, but perhaps a slight change would've been good. For example instead of one of these players kicking 55-65m down field on average (depending how much roll it got) and the usual player kicking 35-45m. I think it would've been better as 50-60m for the best and 40-50m for the average players. Just a subtle tweak to make make the average players a little better (they were often not worth kicking with) and the best a little less ridiculous. The thing is though, you still need to have some be better than others, you can't have them all be uniform.

Sure those distances are a little more than real world, but in a video game people will always want to run it if kicks aren't worthy.

Last edited:
Or Wilkinson, Montgomery or Henson. There were a few with exceptionally long kicks. I'm not all for completely standardising the kickers, but perhaps a slight change would've been good. For example instead of one of these players kicking 55-65m down field on average (depending how much roll it got) and the usual player kicking 35-45m. I think it would've been better as 50-60m for the best and 40-50m for the average players. Just a subtle tweak to make make the average players a little better (they were often not worth kicking with) and the best a little less ridiculous. The thing is though, you still need to have some be better than others, you can't have them all be uniform.

Sure those distances are a little more than real world, but in a video game people will always want to run it if kicks aren't worthy.
Yeah, Hensons kicking is crazy, 90m+

Get rid of star players in general. I don't mind players having some advantages like Nonu's tackle breaking, it's just the star the annoys me. Have high rated players but no star.

Get rid of star players in general. I don't mind players having some advantages like Nonu's tackle breaking, it's just the star the annoys me. Have high rated players but no star.

A lot of people got used to the star player idea and there is indeed an in-game ability to turn them off from memory. Maybe just making that option a main menu option would be the way to go? I imagine it'd be harder to defend against star players if you don't know which ones they are, but that could make games more interesting too. :)

Latest posts