• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: Australia - South Africa (08/09/2012)

i'm going with AUS for a win on this one... pressure is on Deans to come up with a win... AUS have been on a losing streak and SA have been winning with minimal margins... so its about time for AUS to win something and SA to lose...

Is this the courtain on Robbie Deans' Wallabies era?

I fear Wallabies won't win tomorrow!

As a big Wallabies fan since well... I started playing and watching rugby, I really liked when he was named as head coach back in 2007, as I (as well many others) thought a big change was needed by that team!

Credit to a coach that not only has rebuilt a team with the injection of new guys, but also he changed the mind in a very static team, to a more dynamic one!
The "play what's in front of you" philosophy was much needed in that team bound to a more complex culture of tactics and structures, but incredibly weak in some key aspect of the game that uses to crumble so quick like dominoes.
The first two years of rebuilding (later 2008-2010) has been great in terms of attack, but again still fragile on lineouts, scrummaging and defence; in the latter years the implementation of new simple but effective structures in attack as well a consolidation of defensive movements allowed to that team to firmly compete with the n.1 ranked, at least being steady close to them, minimizing the gap!

He fixed the lineout, the defence, and the scrummaging until Benn Robinson injuries in 2011, but after that they've been exposed to the lack of quality back-up, but this is not Deans' fault of course.
If we look at the players turnovered in these years he almost never misjudge, maybe he looked subborn on someone, but just for example:
- Timani's improving amazingly test by test, now
- the never to be a centre Pat McCabe is sorely missed now in midfield
- Radike Samo inclusion in 2012 squad was right
- Dave Dennis can be up to the task at least better than Higginbotham
- KB was horrible in 2007-2008 (whose only highlight was striking Cory Jane with a kick) is now among the first 3 fb in world rugby
- when captaincy was ripped off from him, Elsom performance improved
- a big ass-face captain among the forward is needed by this team (injuries apart)
- the under par passer Burges is also missed now as in the last 20s (or even more) the team needs to wake up
- Dan Vickerman's return to Australia

He can be blamed to not having tested many players recently, but the ones who he introduced at test level, they are all up to that, and maybe the guys he did not included or called up, are not up to that!

Deans could be the 2nd or 3rd worst Wallaby coach, but under him, Wallabies broke many hoo-doos, in South Africa, in France, against New Zealand, they won the Tri Nations again, they build up a good winning strike against the Springboks, but also had shocking defeat... I think they are part of the game, and until now there are only one team that never experienced that, the All Blacks.
Many teams lost to Scotland or Samoa (or Tonga or...), that natural sometimes occur and it's not the main trouble.

IMO the best quality he gave to this team in the last 2 years, is the consistency and the capability of winning tight game and being competitive always for 80', against All Blacks, against South Africa at home and away (both on sealevel and highveld), he changed the mentality of a team, he evolved the pure enthusiasm of the 2009-2010 era to the winning attitude of 2011-2012.

Although I think something have now broken.

Maybe his words after they were nilled by the All Blacks, they resound in a fatalism "we can't do better than ranking 2nd", and surely weren't appreciate among the players. Again he was probably right, but it's not something you want to hear from your head coach, not the spur you need after days like that.

Only 4 good wins and a good November tour can save Deans, but I think it won't happen.

And with the upcoming Lions Series in 2013 a new coach will desperately need the autumn international window to reassemble the team for that challenge.

The point is: are there any coaches, in Australia, up to the task?
Ewen McKenzie is the first name you can pronounce, but I'm not sure if he's ready right now, instead I'm sure he would be quite in the same spot Deans was in 2008, but with less time to deliver his work!
Maybe Jake White, but he's now firmly bound to the Brumbies, so it's not a simple solution, and again it would be another foreign coach under a further (pointless) pressure.

I really don't know what's better for the Wallabies!

Last edited:
i'm going with AUS for a win on this one... pressure is on Deans to come up with a win... AUS have been on a losing streak and SA have been winning with minimal margins... so its about time for AUS to win something and SA to lose...
Pressure on both sides to win, so they must both win!
Ban anybody from watching: Schrödinger's Match.

long post

Excellent summary of the Deans era thus far.

Deans is clearly a very good coach, and I think he has done a pretty good job with the team he has been given - last time I checked they were the current Tri-Nations champions, and still the 2nd ranked team in the world (though they will lose that with a loss to South Africa today)! The fact Australia have to play the AB's 3-4 times a season certainly hasn't helped Deans's record - if you take out the matches versus the AB's (played 17, won 3, lost 14) his record changes from played 62, won 36 (58%) to played 45, won 33 (73%). Obviously you can't just ignore the matches versus the AB's (as much as the Aussie public would like to ;) ), I'm just suggesting that Dean's record would look far better if he didn't have to play the top team in the world 3-4 times a year! Since Deans took over in 2008 Australia has a winning record against every other team in the top 8 in the world apart from the AB's (we will conveniently ignore his record against teams ranked 9th and 10th in the world though.....).

The question is: would a different Aussie coach have achieved better results? I honestly don't know that answer to this. As I've mentioned before, Deans is clearly a good coach, and as madflyhalf has already pointed out he has made some excellent selections over his time. I do wonder whether he is the type of coach required to coach the Wallabies though. He had a huge amount of success with Canterbury and the Crusaders, but these were exceptional teams - though you could argue that he (along with Steve Hansen and Wayne Smith) were responsible for creating these great teams, but they had the player depth to start with (and quickly poached players from other unions in areas they were short ;) ). Coaching a winning team with plenty of depth is a very different skill than coaching a team with very limited depth - who knows, perhaps a different coach could have achieved more with the limited resources the Wallabies have....

Anyways, really looking forward to this match. Weather forecast looks good, so hopefully we see a quality game of rugby!

got this funny feeling that the Boks might thumb Aus today - we all know they have a massive desire to play an attacking game and recent selections and comments are leaning more towards that mindset.
The rest of the world don't want it and they know what will happen once the Boks get good at it.
May today be the first step

Aussie scramble defence did well then, but the try was inevitable.

Anyone see Cooper take down the so called "Beast"? :p

Boks in control so far - Aussie running from side to side, but can't seem to break the South African defense.

What is the point of having Morne Steyn in squad whereas another Steyn can kick everything from everywhere? :D

Big chance for Australia here with 'the beast' in 'the bin'.

We need to start Pat Cilliers instead of Jannie, he's ******* me off a bit with all those penalties

Beast you silly man, if you wanna take someone out and earn a yellow, do it properly please - that just sucked

Hope to see a bit of Goosen and Flo in the 2nd half

P.S. As Sker said, Pat please - Jannie is a plonker

Samo off for Australia - strange decision in my opinion, as I think he has been their best player so far!

Habana off injured for South Africa.

EDIT: Australia just destroyed that South Africa scrum... something does not compute here :huh:

EDIT 2: Then Samo's replacement (Higginbotham) scores a try....hmmm...

Last edited:
Come on Boks@ Get Dingo fired! ;) :p

EDIT: Try Aus?
WTH is wrong with SA this year?

Last edited:
That try was not worth Genia's injury. Plus, people may now think selecting Alexander is a good idea.

Come on Boks@ Get Dingo fired! ;) :p

EDIT: Try Aus?
WTH is wrong with SA this year?

Nothing. They always lose to Australia....

Genia off injured for Australia - it will be interesting to see whether Australia can hold on for the next 10 minutes...

EDIT: Barnes is stuffed now too....

Hope Barnes/Genia arent too bad. Barnes looks like he's been adductored like DC last year.

Latest posts