• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - Australia (29/09/2012)

Not a great fan of the Springboks, but I really waited for the day when they ditched the predictable 10 man rugby. Really enjoyed their game.

Any news on Ashley Cooper? the commentary cast here doesn't have the info.

South Africa playing this running rugby is lethal. About bloody time.

Habana with a third. SA running is very, very good!

Habana hat trick. Good try. SA have demolished Australia here. Refreshing to see the Boks playing with adventure for a change.

Score line flatters Aus. Hope S.A. return to their old style against us.

Only caught the beginning, and the end, but from what I saw it was a good game. Now must go back and watch the middle. :)

das

Going to bed now. Got to be up for the AB test! Well done SA, great running rugby. It shows SA are a totally different animal when they play up to date rugby, even if it was against an injured Aussie team.

Kicking stats!
Australia: 1/3 [Barnes 0/1; Beale 1/1; Harris 0/1)
South Africa: 3/9 [Goosen 0/2; Pienaar 3/7]

South Africa left 16 points; really would have made the scoreboard quite different.

What a game, we faded a bit right before the end and the aussies started dominating us a bit at the breakdown again, but overall what a game. Habana! I thought Goosen and Taute had good games, Taute's defense was excellent and he is a strong runner. I'd actually have him start next game.

9. Pienaar
10. Goosen
11. Hougaard
12. JdV
13. Taute
14. Habana
15. Lambie

That team can win the All Blacks in Soweto.

Lambie with the kicking duties except for Goosen taking the long ones.

Yeah, running fly-half makes huge difference. Forget JdV at 12. Give it to F.Steyn. He was useless because M.Steyn switched off all backline by standing too deep and not considering running. Captaincy to Low or Strauss, Hougaard was non seen in this match, so probably Mvovo in his place, Pieanaar at 9, Goosen at 10, F.Steyn at 12 and Taute/JdJ at 13.

Jean de Villiers looked better in his natural position, but South Africa need to look at a long term successor.

@Sker,good backline, I agree. Kirchner certainly won't be dropped, though.

Dam, SA killed us. Wasn't very fun to watch, but I've been a big fan of Tatue and Jantjies over the last few seasons, gained me plenty of dream team points. Good to see them breaking into the boks and performing well.

The Wallabies were kind of screwed over from the start with injuries, couldn't keep a core group of guys on the pitch at any one time. I say stick with the team they sent out even though they got killed, because with better luck they are a solid team.

Hopefully we see better next week from Aus, and I imagine SA vs NZ next week will be one to watch now.

Firstly extremely happy about the win! So much for staying in tonight ;).

It has to be said that Aus were very unlucky, I can't imagine how difficult it is to reshuffle a backline that much in one match, not to mention playing with 14 men for 10 minutes after the yellow, and then again right at the end after Polota-naus' injury. I still think they're a quality side.

Moving on to the Boks:

The good:

- Francois Louw had a fantantic game, along with Duane and Willem I feel our loose trio is looking really really good, Willem to make metres and Duane and Louw both amazing on the ground, slowing down Aussie ball, stealing on occasion and making sure we receive clean service.
- Our line-outs were great, Eben got two steals and in general just looked really solid, Bekker has been critisized a little but I think he's shown why he is a world class player, both as a line-out general and good in the loose.
- JDV looked much better in his prefered position, makes such a huge difference having a proper outside and inside, having two bashing insides was stifling our backline's creativity.
- Youngsters were sporadic but much improved, Goosen wasn't flawless, but he makes such a huge difference already, having a running threat at fly-half really gives the defence something to worry about which naturally forces them to narrow slightly giving us more space out wide, his distribution was also excellent. His kicking was poor but I've seen enough of his kicking to put it down to nerves. A few iffy decisions but that will come with time. Definitely the future. Taute was solid, but along with Hougard were the least prominent backs.
- HABANA!

The Bad:
- Goal kicking.
- Poor decision making at times.
- Scrums need a little work.

I'm really just nit-picking with the bad but I do definitely think there is room for improvement.
As for Lambie, I know a few posters are going to hate me for this but I haven't seen enough from him at this level to really justify dropping Zane, Kirchner always seems at least solid in a bok jersey.
In either case I'm super stoked, haven't been in such a good mood for weeks!

Last edited:
Surely Deans need to go now, that was just embarrassing. Hooper looked like the only one who didn't want to lose.

Latest posts