• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - Australia (29/09/2012)

Surely Deans need to go now, that was just embarrassing. Hooper looked like the only one who didn't want to lose.
I thought Hooper and Beale were the best of the Aussie's, Polota-nau also decent before getting injured.

Hopefully we see better next week from Aus, and I imagine SA vs NZ next week will be one to watch now.

I think if the AB's win today or at least take a point from the game they wont be so concerned about next weeks game so I would expect to see a more experimental team with the bigger names rested.

I think if the AB's win today or at least take a point from the game they wont be so concerned about next weeks game so I would expect to see a more experimental team with the bigger names rested.

I can't see the All Blacks doing anything to potentially mess up a whitewash.
They have November to try out combinations, right now is when you win.

Beale, McCabe, Hooper and Sharpe all had good games for Australia I thought. The injuries and position changes really didn't help them.

A good win by South Africa, but one they should not get too carried away with.

The Wallabies spent a quarter of the match with only 14 players. Not only did they have to play without their three iconic leaders, James Horwill, David Pocock and Will Genia, they lost Berrick Barnes (chest), Adam Ashley-Cooper (head), Digby Ioane (knee), Radike Samo (shoulder) and Tatafu Polota Nau (shoulder). With their lack of depth, that is devastation, they were effectively the walking wounded.

Last edited:
A good win by South Africa, but one they should not get too carried away with.

The Wallabies spent a quarter of the match with only 14 players. Not only did they have to play without their three iconic leaders, James Horwill, David Pocock and Will Genia, they lost Berrick Barnes (chest), Adam Ashley-Cooper (head), Digby Ioane (knee), Radike Samo (shoulder) and Tatafu Polota Nau (shoulder). With their lack of depth, that is devastation, they were effectively the walking wounded.
You're just worried that we're coming for you ;).

In all seriousness though no-one really gave the Aussies a chance because it was at home, and they were depleted before they even began. That said it's nice to see us take a step in the right direction.

I can't see the All Blacks doing anything to potentially mess up a whitewash.
They have November to try out combinations, right now is when you win.
I am not saying they will not be trying to win however why risk some of the bigger name players in a game that will have no meaning when you can use it to give the next generation players top level experience.

You're just worried that we're coming for you ;).

I agree that you are a good chance of winning next week, but I don't believe you have any chance of dismantling us the way you dismantled the Wallabies last night.

was a great vibe at a great venue
Need to see the recording before commenting, watching live is another thing

What I did pick up and the camera wouldn't is the energy and passion of the players not in picture, when Goosen gets the ball the wingers are like little bunnies, you can almost taste the excitement from the stands
Habana was bloody awesome and if this is the way forward the All Blacks need be worried a bit more than they currently are

I agree that you are a good chance of winning next week, but I don't believe you have any chance of dismantling us the way you dismantled the Wallabies last night.
Haha no-one dismantles the All Blacks, I still don't expect to win to be honest (although I would be thrilled).
Maybe in 2 years.

Disappointing to watch from a wallabies fan perspective but few words can be said apart from the boks simply smashed us off the park. Will be interesting to see next weeks lineup with the injuries. Boks looked so much more dangerous with goosen, seems like steyn has kicked himself into an early retirement.

Wow! ... who/what was that team playing in green they looked great running the ball ... hard luck for the Wallabies with all of those injuries ... should be interesting who fronts up for next week against the pumas

I wouldn't write too much into that game as the Aussies are a shambling mess at the moment, you know things aren't going well when Kiwi's are starting to feel bad for the Aussie team.

South Africa may have played well but it is hard to tell when your opposition forced through injury to play its 2nd stringers and is down to 14 players for quarter of the game I think Australia should just write this year off and start looking towards next year when I have no doubt they find their feet again.

Haha no-one dismantles the All Blacks, I still don't expect to win to be honest (although I would be thrilled).
Maybe in 2 years.

It's gonna be interesting to see how the AB's handle the Boks at home after the West-to-East flight (increased time difference and loosing a day) that SA players talk of so fondly.
Now we can really see if that theory has any validity.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...

What a test match!

Our forwards DOMINATED, our Defence CRUSHED them, and our attacks MESMERISED them...

Okay, enough big talk.

Goal kicking was again terrible! I'm starting to think the problem isn't just with Morne, but rather with our kicking coach Mr. Louis Koen...

JDV said after the game that the gameplan didn't change at all... this made me wonder, what did then? So I watched the game for a second time... This was my thoughts:

Attitude: From the singing of the anthem I knew the aussies are going to get a hiding, the passion reverberated from the crowd into the players, bringing a tear to Goosen's eyes. I felt so proud. that attitude then converted into amazing defence. our rush defence worked fantastically, and here I want to say that JDV made a difference. Not because of Steyn not playing as there's nothing wrong with Fransie's defence, but the fact that JDV defends better in the 12-channel. Our outside backs came in a lot faster than usual. we almost had a few interceptions also.

Tackling: Berrick Barnes got a punctured lung and is on his way back to Oz along with AAC. Willem Alberts stood by his nickname "Bonecrusher" and quite a few times I cringed as he smashed an aussie. Like Joel Stransky said at one stage: "I almost feel a bit sorry for the wallabies". Lol. Jaco Taute was also immense along with Zane Kirchner on the defence.

Line-outs: finally Andries and Strauss figured it out that Andries is taller than anyone else and by throwing higher, we will win the ball. From there, our mauls was devastating, resulting in the only try scored by a forward.

Rucks: Flouw, Vermeulen and the unsung hero for me, Andries Bekker was amazing at the rucks. we stole a lot of aussie ball, and made life very hard for poor old hooper who got cleaned out by a lot bigger guys in the shape of Beast, Etzebeth and Alberts.

Backline: Finally they came to the party. What was interesting for me was that Johan Goosen stood more back than Morne Steyn has the previous couple of tests. but here's the difference, Johan is running into the ball, getting it on the front foot and then getting his backline away better than Morne. I think Ruan Pienaar should also get applauded by the way he "fathered" Goosen. he protected our prodigal son like a father would protect his son. taking the kicking responsibilities over both at goal and in hand.

Lastly. Draggs and Eze, If Lambie wasn't on the field, then the scoreline would've been 5 points more in the favour of the boks. Lambie missed the tackle which resulted in the aussie try.

Zane Kirchner did absoloutely nothing wrong throughout the test.

Overall great performance bokke! Now next week it's the All Blacks at Soccer City, and I will be in the Main stand!

SA has got to do smt about that kicking, yep. I thought it was just Morne, but the virus seems to have spread and infected every boot on the squad.

Also, Radike Samo must - MUST - cut his ridiculous afro off. It highly upsets the Gods and the Wallabies could do with a better omen...I attribute their big defeats in large part to that.
Someone has to sit down and explain to him he looks closer to a monkey than a human being unfortunately with it, and that it's not fooling anyone, no one thinks it's cool Radike...just...no one.

I prefer the old Heineken... The one that ****** and moans about Bruce Lawrence cheating :D

Best moment for me on the match: The commentators going at Heyneke Meyers new smaller walkie talkie and talking about how maybe the old one broke! Hahaha laughed my ass off so hard!

On the game though I think we did a good game, always room 4 improvemnt considering how the Aussies where so messed up with injuries so I wouldn't really get that excited just yet. Cos about 20min in, the game was still 0-0.

Goosen did well enough but I would love to see lambie have a go @ fly half!

And those blaming Lambie for that try, well what else could he have done? It was 3 on 2 and plus you can't blame him, he is probably not match fit considering he has probably had about 30min game time since the Super Rugby semi final I think it was. Taute was good though I have to say I'm impressed.

I would still prefer Fransie over JDV at 12 thou! We need a new captain!

Last edited:
Also wouldn't blame Lambie for that try and rather it was Hougaard missing a first up tackle on Beale who was quite enterprising with the little good ball he got.

Forwards dominated again for the most part but for me it was the change in mindset that did it for the backs along with Aus being somewhat in a bad place right now. Hope we build on this performance as there is much to work on still but we are at least moving in the right direction. Jantjies also impressed with the little time he had though one needs to keep in mind that we were facing a totally beaten Aus team in total disarray at that time who did quite admirably to keep the scoreline semi-respectable.

Latest posts