• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - Australia (29/09/2012)

Flyhalves
Goosen, Jantjies

Wings
Habana, JP Pietersen, Aplon

Centers
F Steyn, JdV (for now as I see him as replaced by test season next year)

Fullback
Ludik (still only 25 and getting back to his best and even better than pre-injury 2009)

Utility
Lambie, Taute, Hougaard

why not Sadie, Whitehead for the 12 jersey and JP, Jordaan & JJ for 13 :? (not necessarily in that order)

tumblr_luezor6BTG1qji1wao1_500.png

@Stormer

Shouldn't we use the EOYT to experiment with a new center and captain for 2013?

Which center though and which captain? I'd be behind HM if he kept it as is until a clear new center and captain come to the fore. There are many good prospects but IMO none are there yet.

I'd be happy to wait for the likes of Engelbrecht, Whitehead, Jordaan, Serfontein, Venter and whomever else to have another year of SR and see who comes out tops. Same with captain for me.

why not Sadie, Whitehead for the 12 jersey and JP, Jordaan & JJ for 13 :? (not necessarily in that order)

Mostly personal preference. It depends on Steyns fitness (I am assuming he will lose 5kgs) and I see JdV there till the end of the year. I certainly hope we see some young blood coming in at center and I see Taute as a fullback long term but which of the others might make it is still up for grabs IMO; no clear stand-out so I'll wait another year and see who takes their chances in SR.

You make a point I also want to see which centers shine in the SR next year

Bismark Du Plessis as captain!!!i will say it again... SA does not realize how much they miss this guy... not only his ability but how he inspires those around him... i don't even think the players incl. himself realizes it...

You make a point I also want to see which centers shine in the SR next year
what is the point players perform in SR2013 as some did this year, but then the Bok team gets selected on the player's performace pre-2009...

Icemn has his opinions with varying degrees of relevance and no amount of logic will change those which he does not want to see change. In his eyes the Springboks will always be and have always been (apart from under PdV) a team of big bully Boere playing with 10 men while the other 12 play stampkar somewhere on a parking lot because they couldn't get to the stadium on account of the bus not be able to start.

:lol::lol::lol:

If there was a sentence which could incapsulate every Iceman post in regards to SA rugby, that was it.

what is the point players perform in SR2013 as some did this year, but then the Bok team gets selected on the player's performace pre-2009...
JDV didn't have a bad season at inside at all this year. Just saying. Sadie had a horrible season and Whitehead (although my personal choice) is only one season of SR in, and hasn't breaken out to such an extent that he's a "must pick" this year. Engelbregth didn't have the best season either, and Jordaan was imperfect as well, I consider both players to have great potential but they still have to many rough edges for Test level rugby,

looks like they trying not to make it look that obvious... Cape Town seemed to have disappeared from the map for the near future...
Only KZN and PE remain... has there ever been a big rugby match at the new Cape Town staduim :?

Since it's not a rugby-stadium... No. Neither has there been a big football match at Kings Park. What's your point? Some stadiums are just not fit for rugby, like the new stadium in Durban with the open areas behind the goals.

Since the inclusion into world rugby, South Africa has played 5 Tests in Cape Town... Argentina, Australia, Italy and... Yes... New Zealand twice!

I see some people are making suggestions for the EOYT squad and I would like to throw my picks in as well. I would like to see at least 1 inexperienced/uncapped player for each position. Also some different styles for the positions.

Props:
Mtawarira, Oosthuizen, Cilliers, BJ Botha

Hooker:
Strauss, Burden/Brits, Ralepelle

Lock:
Etzebeth, Kruger, Bekker, Bresler

Loose forwards:
Coetzee, Vermeulen, Louw, Marnus Schoeman, CJ Stander

Scrum-half:
Pienaar, Reinach, (van Zyl is not playing at the moment)

Fly-half:
Goosen, Jantjies, Lambie

Wings:
Pietersen, Habana, Rhule

Centers:
Whitehead, de Villiers, Mapoe, R. Ebersohn

Full-back:
Ludik, Taute

Is Stander still in contention what with moving to Munster and all? Also, how much longer is Louw going to be with Bath before one of the SA Super Rugby teams brings him in?

Well, if CJ Stander moves, we can bring in Brynard Stander in stead.

Is Stander still in contention what with moving to Munster and all? Also, how much longer is Louw going to be with Bath before one of the SA Super Rugby teams brings him in?

I suppose Stander is in contention up until the point that he gets a cap for Ireland. I think Meyer certainly has his eye on Stander;
- he is involved in just about every signing the Bulls have made so I doubt Stander was an exception
- he included Stander in the Bok squad ahead of many more 'settled' players
- HM has stated that he'll look at overseas-based players if he feels they are better than what he has at home
- Stander is generally seen as a natural leader which is something we are somewhat short on ATM

I wouldn't be surprised if he and some other NH based players make a debut or return for SA during the end of year tours. It'd be awesome to see Brian Mujati, Schalk Brits (with Bismarck set to be out still), Gerhard Mostert, CJ Stander, F Louw and Pienaar join up to add some local know-how and broaden the player-base.

As for Flo I think he has 2 seasons to go on his contract still. Hopefully WPRU digs into their pockets and with Flo probably having made himself pretty much unmissable for the Bokke maybe he wants to come back and we could reach some sort of agreement with Bath.

I see some people are making suggestions for the EOYT squad and I would like to throw my picks in as well. I would like to see at least 1 inexperienced/uncapped player for each position. Also some different styles for the positions.

Props:
Mtawarira, Oosthuizen, Cilliers, BJ Botha

Hooker:
Strauss, Burden/Brits, Ralepelle

Lock:
Etzebeth, Kruger, Bekker, Bresler

Loose forwards:
Coetzee, Vermeulen, Louw, Marnus Schoeman, CJ Stander

Scrum-half:
Pienaar, Reinach, (van Zyl is not playing at the moment)

Fly-half:
Goosen, Jantjies, Lambie

Wings:
Pietersen, Habana, Rhule

Centers:
Whitehead, de Villiers, Mapoe, R. Ebersohn

Full-back:
Ludik, Taute

I have very similar hopes for the EoY squad. Maybe the only place I disagree with you is at center where I just think Ebersohn dooesn't fit in with Bok rugby; he is just waaayyyyyy to soft in defense and would just be an easy alley for the pressure the other guys build to escape through. I do have a lot of tiime for Whitehead though and he has erally impressed in both SR and CC now. I know it very early days yet but I also see bright futures for Reinach and Schoeman.

I like the look of Jordaan. There is just so many new promising centers all of a sudden. It's going to be interesting to see who forces their way past JdJ and F Steyn while and into contention with JF and JdV getting past it.

I'm keeping my eye on PS du Toit. Him and Bresler are handy players for the Sharks where I've always felt you have a lack of quality. We just have so many guys who could easily make it at lock/Lf as well. It's crazy. Honestly, I can't think of a position where SA doesn't have at least 2 very good players the only thing is we are going to have to back our youth to get there. Maybe HM's pace is the right way to go. All I can say is I am excited about the year end and SR.

Judging by Heineken's posts on here, Arno Botha is the new lovechild of Pierre Spies, Richie McCaw, Juan Smith and Heinrich Brussouw. So he must be happy, aren't you Hein? :D

Much love for including Rhule, Eze. Let's wait another year or two though, I don't see Habana retiring just yet and JP Pietersen still has one world cup in him. I do however see him playing for the Boks.

Sker, we are talking about the EOYT. This, together with the Spring Tour is the perfect time to experiment! Get youngsters in like Rhule, Jordaan, Whitehead, Reinach, Schoeman and see what they can do. No need to bolster the team with more veterans when you're building towards 2015.

I agree completely and I hope we'll see Jordaan, Whitehead, Reinach and definitely Schoeman and they all have a chance of starting or being on the bench come 2015, but Rhule might not have a chance. When JP comes back we'll have him and Habana playing together again (probably) with Hougaard on the bench and Mvovo.

Although I won't complain if he does get included in the squad, not at all, he is damn quick and he cuts through a defense like... you know what disregard my first paragraph :D

Imagine this in 2015:

1. Mtawarira and Kitshoff
2. Bismarck and Strauss
3. Cilliers and Oosthuizen
4. Etzebeth and Kruger
5. Bekker and Bresler
6. Schoeman and Louw
7. Coetzee and Stander (either CJ or Brynard)
8. Vermeulen and Kankowski (who else as 8-cover?)
9. Pienaar and Reinach
10.Goosen and Jantjies
11.Habana and Mvovo
12.Lambie and Whitehead
13.Jordaan and Taute
14.Pietersen and Rhule
15.Ludik and le Roux

Latest posts