• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby club banned for 15 years

S

shazbooger

Source: http://www.ewn.co.za/articleprog.aspx?id=19272

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Rugby club banned for 15 years Wesley Petersen | 2009/08/07 11:14:01 AM

The Heidelberg Rugby Club has been banned for 15 years after fans went on the rampage at a club match in Mossel Bay. Several people were wounded when hooligans ran onto the pitch with knives, broken bottles and pipes following Mossel Bay's victory over Heidelberg on Saturday.

Criminal charges have been laid.

A disciplinary committee of the South Western District Rugby Football Union took the decision after a marathon meeting finished on Friday morning.

SWD President Stag Cronje said the 15-year ban was justified because someone could have been killed.

An incident of rugby violence is also being investigated after an incident involving the Wanderers club and the Eldoranians.[/b]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wmQxUOxEWiA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wmQxUOxEWiA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In fairness to the majority of the Heidelberg players (who I assume were in the white), they were trying to restrain the animals who conducted the violence. It's a shame they have to take the punishment on behalf of idiotic supporters and staff, but you can't really say there was any option but to throw the book at the club.

I am literally lost for words over that. I dearly hope that criminal proceeding will be put in place against the hooligans.

There's no place for it in the sport.

Once I've picked my jaw from off the floor that has to be the single most shoking video I have seen in connection to rugby.

When one of the blue players made a dash for it and was chased by 10 or so thugs how scray must that have been.

Disgusting and criminal behavior.
Unfortunately anybody who has played a cape coloured team will not be that surprised by this. Cape coloureds are notorious not only for violence at rugby games but for gang activity as well. People have died at their games before, this fight was just caught on camera luckily.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Aug 21 2009, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Unfortunately anybody who has played a cape coloured team will not be that surprised by this. Cape coloureds are notorious not only for violence at rugby games but for gang activity as well. People have died at their games before, this fight was just caught on camera luckily.[/b]
Wow.

Is it too simple to say it's a black v white thing?

And where is Keegan?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Aug 20 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Aug 21 2009, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately anybody who has played a cape coloured team will not be that surprised by this. Cape coloureds are notorious not only for violence at rugby games but for gang activity as well. People have died at their games before, this fight was just caught on camera luckily.[/b]
Wow.

Is it too simple to say it's a black v white thing?

And where is Keegan?
[/b][/quote]

It's not a black vs white thing. I'm sure they enjoyed the opportunity to beat some white folk but they fight anyone regardless. Might be generalizing here a bit but I've been on rugby tour to the Cape twice and they are violent in general. I have coloured friends but they grew up in Natal so they weren't part of that gang environment, hence them being layed back like the rest of us beach bums. B)

Disgrace to rugby, actually to sports in general. This almost matches some of the soccer riots i've seen on the news.
Although by watching that video, i don't see why the team is punished, they could simply give lifelong bans to the people who were causing the issue, and press criminal charges as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 21 2009, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"When did Soccer Fans start showing up to Rugby Matches?"[/b]

Dunedin 2009 All Blacks v France, ******** were throwing bottles at the French players. :ph34r:

Yeah, Dunedin was bad, but not at that level was it bad. It really is pathetic when fans get violent. It can be a game which you obviously may want to win or lose, but it is simply a game. They are thugs, plain and simple.

It's like the quote (referring to the soccer post)

Rugby is a game for barbarians played by gentlemen
Soccer is a game for gentlemen played by barbarians

(my little addition to the second line: and watched by barbarians too)

I've only been to one rugby match, it was a test between Canada and Ireland. It was a great environment, and i can't imagine anyone in the stands rushing the field over losing.

Savages. The big guy in the grey and yellow was just acting like a right asshole! He was in the middle of everything. That was the most disgusting, disturbing thing i've ever seen in a rugby match