• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RUGBY NUTRITION

If you want to get big, you must allow time for your muscles to repair. You must eat well also, never let yourself get hungry. If you let this happen, your body is in a catabolic state and in effect, muscle is used for a source of energy. Also, when in the gym try to do explosive movements, its not about lifting the most weight, if you execute exersizes correctly and explosively, you will make big gains.

Hello, is it really worth mixing protein powder with water in regards to the extra benefit, and terrible taste than mixing it with skimmed milk?

what 'extra benefit' are you referring to?? I talked to a guy (trainer, nutritionist or supplement shop owner or something) a while back about this, he mentioned something in the milk made it harder for your body to absorb everything you're getting from the protein powder, so i quit using milk and just mix the powder and chug it...

what 'extra benefit' are you referring to?? I talked to a guy (trainer, nutritionist or supplement shop owner or something) a while back about this, he mentioned something in the milk made it harder for your body to absorb everything you're getting from the protein powder, so i quit using milk and just mix the powder and chug it...
[/b]
is it worth that terrible taste though?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
is it worth that terrible taste though? [/b][/quote]

i can't tell you for sure, there's no way i can tell whether more protein is absorbed when i drink it with water or milk.. but just in case, i go ahead and deal with the 10 seconds of distaste and use water. in my opinion, it's worth the chance. if im wrong, no loss.. just temporary bad taste..

Haven't you noticed any difference then? surely you can tell if you've been progressing better when using the water?

this was back in high school.. early high school at that, before i began working out seriously.. i honestly can't tell you.. is it drastic? unlikely. if you despise the 10 seconds of discomfort that much, use the milk. if you can bear it in hope of moderately increasing the efficiency of your intestines, then use water, it's not that big of deal....

Keep in mind that if you use milk quite a lot, you stand to put on a fair bit of weight.

When I took protein a couple of years ago for 6 months, I used water because I took it 3 times a day and each time I required a mixture that involved 500mL of liquid each time. Thats 1.5L of liquid per day with the protein. Use milk? HELL NO!

I suppose it depends how often you take it really and your mixture.

Mine (from memory) was 60mL powder, 500mL liquid. 3 times a day.

Assess your intake and decide whats best for you.

I use skimmed milk anyway so the amount of fat isn't a problem, and I take it once after weight training, maybe in the future ill have it reguarly with water and i'll see if there is a difference

not familiar with it.. when i look at protein, meal replacements, etc.. i look at 1) protein, if im using it as one of my 4 'meals' a day, then any less than 40 is not enough for me. if im taking it just to add on to another meal or in between my 4 'meals' then about 25 will do. 2) calories, i have the metabolism of a hummingbird, so i rarely gain weight and when im active i can use all the energy i can get and it wont be stored as fat later. 3) carbohydrates, again, im pretty lean anyway, so as much of these as i can get is great. you'll have to think about what you're built like, and what you want before you can tell if that's something that fits you. if the muscle milk's numbers all add up, then go for it, if you need more/less of something, shop around...

Let me sum it up. Mix with water = quicker absorption. Mix with milk = slower absorption. You'll still get it all though, so use milk or water depending on what you need at that specific time (ex. before bed = milk)

Hi there

Just a quick introduction.

My name is Joe Ward and play for London Wasps and Saxons rugby teams. I have started a new blog and website and includes rugby product reviews by elite rugby players. The reviews include supplements from an array of Manufacturers and also a purchase option. Only those that get good reviews and get the best results will be sold.

the link is http://www.insidethelockeroom.com

if you have any questions regarding any products please contact me at: [email protected]

cheers

joe ward

just as a quick addition to this thread, some people need to get their facts right

milk is NOT bad for you, and it doesnt make you put on weight... full fat milk, unpasteurised (straight from the cow) contains roughly 4% fat at the most, generaly it is around the 3% mark, but this differs from breed to breed. it also contains around 3% protein, skim milk does as well as protein concentrate isn't standardised, at least not in the uk, and is also a good source of vitamins and minerals. So for 1.5l a day you are looking at 5-6 g of fat and about 5g of protein

Just out of interest, and im probably going to get slated for this but i might as well ask anyway, im a footballer (soccer/diveball/whatever) and im wondering what sort of supplements i should be looking at, if anyone knows?

hi ..
I am Professional Rugby Player. I am Looking for Rugby Fitness and Body Protection Equipment
Suppliers.I heard about Morrant(dot)com.If any one knows about this company,kindly reply this post.

Ok, so no one has been here for a while but I ask anyways.
Has anyone tried Maximuscle Viper? Is it good? Bad? So so?
I'm considering getting for games for that extra boost.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swansea99 @ Apr 30 2009, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok, so no one has been here for a while but I ask anyways.
Has anyone tried Maximuscle Viper? Is it good? Bad? So so?
I'm considering getting for games for that extra boost.[/b]

Ive not used viper but have recently had Phd Wired which i think is similar. Really recommend it, got mine from ajhss.co.uk its a good site and worth looking at, Its high in caffeine and really boosts awareness in a game

Latest posts