• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RUGBY NUTRITION

I have a question for the collective brain regarding creatine supplements. My son, who is nearing 17yr old, has said that he wants to start using creatine supplements as part of his training fitness regime. He trains in the gym about 3 days a week and also plays rugby and hockey, with the associated training as well. He's done his research and was able to tell me all about why he thinks he would benefit from it's use. My concern is that he is too young to start taking 'extras'. I've tried looking on the web but most of the studies have been done on adults 18+, which in a way is convincing me that he needs another year 'natural'.

Anyone who is up to speed with supplements etc have any views on this?

I've never heard of any bad side effects from Creatine (apart from people who don't drink enough water while taking it). As long as you do drink a decent amount it's fine
I've been taking it for about 18months, had no noticeable bad effects (i'm 19 now, started when i was 18)

Though i see where you're coming from with research only be done on 18<, it occurs naturally in food, apparently 1lb of steak contains about 1g of creatine, so it's like him eating 5lbs of steak a day

Is there any recommended protein shakes to take. I've been going to the gym quite a bit and i think my diet is good but need to put on more weight. I'm also increasing my food intake to help but I was wondering if a protein shake would give me a boost?

Definatley look at your diet first, just to see if you can clean it up a bit/add more protein in anywhere, as whole foods are definatley better than supplements,
However if you do want supplements i'd recommend getting them from myprotein.co.uk (Use this code: MP62440 for a 5% discount on your first order). I use the unflavoured whey, and add some strawberry nesquick, it's good stuff, dissolves completely in milk (never tried with water), not chalky at all, can't tell it's in there tbh. I've never used their flavoured ones, but apparently they taste alot better than most protein shakes out there

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Nov 18 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Definatley look at your diet first, just to see if you can clean it up a bit/add more protein in anywhere, as whole foods are definatley better than supplements,
However if you do want supplements i'd recommend getting them from myprotein.co.uk (Use this code: MP62440 for a 5% discount on your first order). I use the unflavoured whey, and add some strawberry nesquick, it's good stuff, dissolves completely in milk (never tried with water), not chalky at all, can't tell it's in there tbh. I've never used their flavoured ones, but apparently they taste alot better than most protein shakes out there[/b]

Cheers for the advice and the code. I'll have a look at the site.

Ok I've been through and read everyones posts and find this thread very interesting!!

So wondering if I could get some help!

I'm currently taking Balance Ion exchange WPI Protien good stuff got no carbs or fat its pure protein, I train at the gym 5-6 days a week at the gym changing my program every 6 weeks but now I would like to try training for a specific purpose eg rugby I'm 118kg play in the front row and would love to build my strength up for that position.

Do you do up programs for this??

Unfortunatley decent rugby training programs are hard to come by on the net =/
It might be best to make your own/take a program and modify it for your needs, focusing on the movements you'd do in the game and doing decent amounts of work in those areas (squats, deads and powercleans for scrumming and rucking and the such), though I'm just stating the obvious there :p

Yeah doing all that just thought someone might have something different to try.

I'm 6'2 105kg, muscle. This is complete bullshit. I've never taken a protein shake in my life. You know why? Because you can get the same protein from a boiled egg.

It is the perfect business, millions believe a protein shake is the best for them, right after a workout and have got people hooked at extremely expensive prices, it is a joke.

Protein is better digested with carbohydrate, because carbohydrate is slow release energy and if you take too much pure protein it translates into fat because it is quick release, much like sugar. Don't have too much carbohydrate though, because it is also fat when taking too much.

You guys can continue with this bullshit, but companies are getting extremely rich from you, I'm also a training doctor (in medical school now). It is a joke industry.

It is perfect isn't it, millions believe a $60 tub of protein powder is the only way to build muscle and these companies are rolling in it. Eggs around my area cost $3 for 30 free range, farm eggs. I go to a garden centre to buy them, look around, don't buy ones from the store, if you live in a city though you might have to. Fish is also extremely good, obviously. Tuna is brilliant for the cost, it is really cheap and high in protein.

Think about it, people two hundred years ago had muscle, five hundred years ago, a thousand years ago. This protein shake is bullshit, sure they might not have been massive, but that is because in this society we are obsessed with our image and that is how these companies are making money. Stop wasting your money and open your eyes.

Oops, where is the edit button, I shouldn't say sh*t, got warned for saying that.

I've had medical advice to stay away from supplements, especially protein ones. I'm currently trying to shed some fat and get toned. I've been advised that only a certain amount of protein can be digested daily. Therefore additional protein is excreted and overloading on supplements will put extra pressure on the kidneys. Now, although there have been no landmark cases about this there is a potentially damaging effect.

As a professional in the supplements industry i'd be interested in yor take on this as i'm desperately trying to find an answer that will help me reach my fitness goals.

Thanks

Dave

Hello to you all.

I am Nutrioutlet and I work as a nutrition and sports supplement advisor for www.nutrioutlet.com

In the next few weeks you will be seeing a lot of really great changes to their website as it becomes more sport involved and will have its very own rugby advice section.

Until then I am here to offer my assistance for all the members of the Rugby forum, with any nutrition or sports supplementation questions. My background is in strength sports and have won many national and international ***les in that area.

Hope to hear from you all soon

Nutrioutlet :cheers:

Hi,

My name is Craig, I have been playing rugby since the age of 5 in Belgium where rugby is amature and have represented the country at U'16, U'17 and U'18 playing against counties like France, Russia and Italy. Next year I will be studying at university in the UK and I am moving out to the UK to play rugby with a Club at National 2 level in the pre-season and whilst studying.

I will be training with the club and on my own. Carring out weight training sessions once a day and a skill/speed related sessions in same day.

I currently on take protein (pure whey) and have taken creatine in the past. The problem I am faced with is that I am not sure what to take?? and when to take it?? My goal is to maintain size (if not grow) whilst reducing fat% and increasing strength and power. (currently 91kg, 1m80

Can you give me a clear cut answer of what I should take to allow for recovery between sessions and help reach my goals?

Many thanks,

C

As far as i know white meats like chicken and fish are part of a players diet/nutrition. Is this correct ?

Yeah, chicken and fish are great sources of protein (skinless chicken for less fat)

Hello, is it really worth mixing protein powder with water in regards to the extra benefit, and terrible taste than mixing it with skimmed milk?

The advice given is good enough for you to start with but I will add a very simple thing that was taught to me by my fitness coach. Eat an Orange before you engage in resistance training especially if you're taking any NO product (nitric oxide) The reason is this keeps the nitric oxide in your system longer.

Hello Nutrioutlet! My name is Jacob and i am a fly half.

I am looking on help on how to get bigger as in build muscle up and overall strength. I am 6'1" and i weigh 167. I currently work out 4 days a week in the mornings and i eat mainly a protein diet (i.e: steak, hamburgers, fish, etc)
Does this help?

I am also hydrating alot. I drink about 1.5 gallons a day in water. Does this actually do anything or is it a waste of time?

please help me! :)

-Jacob

Quite clear and simple. All supplements should be banned.

Or even better, ridiculed out of town.

The average player is already too fit for his own good. And the morbid, neurotic pursuit of more power is little short of fascist perfectionism.

I don't like criticizing anyone and I hope that you will not take this as criticism but do you really believe that supplements are not good? And if you do have you ever taken ibrueprofen for pain?...A lot of people ridicule supplements but then they're the first to reach for pain medication or cold medication when they have the flu...

If you understand what supplements are and their benefit to athletes you would know that our food supply is completely deminished of the vital minerals and nutrients that we need and that's the value of supplements. Also there are supplements that occur naturally in food that we don't get enough of based on the training that we do so we need the supplements to make up the difference. I could on and on but hopefully you get the point.

All that being said I'm not trying to get you to take supplements or even change your view of supplements I respect and support your right to not take supplements but I don't think it's cool to criticize those of us that take and benefit from supplements. What you said...... "Quite clear and simple. All supplements should be banned.

Or even better, ridiculed out of town.

The average player is already too fit for his own good. And the morbid, neurotic pursuit of more power is little short of fascist perfectionism." ..... just isn't cool!!!

Latest posts