• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game

I wonder if its HB studios members that is posing as normal bloggers? It seems like theres much more people enjoying the game all a sudden? I will get the game maybe in 6 months time when the price droped way down? I dont understand why i must pay for a game thats the same as 08? This really dissapointing.. :(:(:(

Yeah, I'm going to wait for this game to show up in a bargain bin. I would not spend anymore than $20 on this.

The game while fun is really dissapointing. The only fun thing is that u get to finally play a rugby game !! Its like day and night vs other sport games and if you compare it to the Fifa series then its a very very very poor second place.

The things I did not like

First off , how the %^$# can you have a Official World Cup game without 2 top teams in it ? No ABS and No Wallabies !! Even if you edit it the commentators wont say the correct names , so if you should play NZ vs Aus there will be no names mentioned !! Thats like 20 steps backwards !!

There is also no Haka ?? and I dont recal hearing crowd chants like Waltzing Matilda , Shoozaloza and the like of swing low sweet chariot etc etc. Also no anthem as far as I can remember

The crowd is really pathetic , sorry for saying this so blatent , when you score you see 20 people waving the same time and another 20 what looks like they standing up ?????

The graphics of the players are ok for some at best and downright unrecognizable for others , have a look at the beast or Frans Steyn for example.

The gameplay modes are basically the WC and one off tests , I realise its a WC game but seeing that unlike Fifa where you get a WC and another version in the same year I would have liked for them to make it a 2 in 1 where you can play S15 , CC , Trinations etc etc.

Also limited stadiums.

No special moves , I guess this would be tough but something like a burst of speed for some players ? A wicked sidestep for others ? Strong runs for some forwards ? For instance , give Dagg the ability to have a special burst of speed , just a small bit that makes him different from most players , Cooper maybe a sharper sidestep , Schalk Burger a stronger runner etc etc. As it is all players look the same more or less. I am also looking for the option where they display the players name or number so that I can know which players I am in control with. Certainly cannot recognize the faces

The player editing mode is non existent , again I will use FIFA (and maybe thats my problem cos I expected something similar re options) In Fifa you can send them a pic and they will send you a avatar of you pic for the player you created !! You can also choose a name for your player that the commentator will say !! In rugby you can change the height , weight and name.

All in all I am very dissapointed , I played it for a day and now I am bored already. sorry for sounding so negative. There are things I liked.

The controls have been simplified as best as possible for such a technical game , i feel it will add appeal for those people not knowing the game very well.

It runs very smooth and fast , maybe cos the graphics aint that good ??

I beat the ABS easily on medium , felt a little better

Big dive tackling is easier unlike the rugby league game where tackling is very difficult , I liked smashing the guys backwards , in the rugby league game I normally let the AI do the tackling.

The game while fun is really dissapointing. The only fun thing is that u get to finally play a rugby game !! Its like day and night vs other sport games and if you compare it to the Fifa series then its a very very very poor second place.

The things I did not like

First off , how the %^$# can you have a Official World Cup game without 2 top teams in it ? No ABS and No Wallabies !! Even if you edit it the commentators wont say the correct names , so if you should play NZ vs Aus there will be no names mentioned !! Thats like 20 steps backwards !!

There is also no Haka ?? and I dont recal hearing crowd chants like Waltzing Matilda , Shoozaloza and the like of swing low sweet chariot etc etc. Also no anthem as far as I can remember

The crowd is really pathetic , sorry for saying this so blatent , when you score you see 20 people waving the same time and another 20 what looks like they standing up ?????

The graphics of the players are ok for some at best and downright unrecognizable for others , have a look at the beast or Frans Steyn for example.

The gameplay modes are basically the WC and one off tests , I realise its a WC game but seeing that unlike Fifa where you get a WC and another version in the same year I would have liked for them to make it a 2 in 1 where you can play S15 , CC , Trinations etc etc.

Also limited stadiums.

No special moves , I guess this would be tough but something like a burst of speed for some players ? A wicked sidestep for others ? Strong runs for some forwards ? For instance , give Dagg the ability to have a special burst of speed , just a small bit that makes him different from most players , Cooper maybe a sharper sidestep , Schalk Burger a stronger runner etc etc. As it is all players look the same more or less. I am also looking for the option where they display the players name or number so that I can know which players I am in control with. Certainly cannot recognize the faces

The player editing mode is non existent , again I will use FIFA (and maybe thats my problem cos I expected something similar re options) In Fifa you can send them a pic and they will send you a avatar of you pic for the player you created !! You can also choose a name for your player that the commentator will say !! In rugby you can change the height , weight and name.

All in all I am very dissapointed , I played it for a day and now I am bored already. sorry for sounding so negative. There are things I liked.

The controls have been simplified as best as possible for such a technical game , i feel it will add appeal for those people not knowing the game very well.

It runs very smooth and fast , maybe cos the graphics aint that good ??

I beat the ABS easily on medium , felt a little better

Big dive tackling is easier unlike the rugby league game where tackling is very difficult , I liked smashing the guys backwards , in the rugby league game I normally let the AI do the tackling.
sorry buddy but you are dillusional if you think the currie cup will ever make a rugby game. The only reason the NPC got into rugby challenge is because its a game by kiwis predominantly for kiwis, so unless any sef efrikan game studios want to make a rugby game, i wouldnt hold your breath

Ok, had this a week now played it loads. It is flat out the WORST rugby game I've ever played. I'm not being rude to HB but this is such a dissapointing effort its just a shambles. It is terrible online and I'm not going to go into all the faults, they're already on here.

Why I'm writing is to say if anyone wants a cheap copy pm me, I'm definately off loading this piece of c**p and moving on. I'm not some RC fan boy either, I doubt that will be any good but as I did with RWC I'll give it a try. All I know is can't stand to play this frustrating, nerve wrecking garbage any longer.

Goodbye.

Ok, had this a week now played it loads. It is flat out the WORST rugby game I've ever played. I'm not being rude to HB but this is such a dissapointing effort its just a shambles. It is terrible online and I'm not going to go into all the faults, they're already on here.Why I'm writing is to say if anyone wants a cheap copy pm me, I'm definately off loading this piece of c**p and moving on. I'm not some RC fan boy either, I doubt that will be any good but as I did with RWC I'll give it a try. All I know is can't stand to play this frustrating, nerve wrecking garbage any longer.Goodbye.
Traded mine back into game and got £36 for it!

gave my copy to my nephew that only has a ps2....lol it looks and plays like a ps2 game too...

I just won my first world cup. Random pools, it went like this

Ireland 15-0 Samoa
Ireland 35-3 Fiji
Ireland 0-0 Australia
Ireland 66-6 Canada (I thought this scoreline was pretty scary)

Ireland 16-6 France

Ireland 31-3 New Zealand

Ireland 9-3 England

I did it on hard and I'm using an edited Roster but not in favor of Ireland really

My edits are:

Ireland
Ferris 87
Heaslip 87
Murray (in place of O'Leary) 86
Donnacha Ryan (In place of O'Driscoll) 71
Earls 80
Sexton 95
McFadden 83
Trimble 85*

overall: 87

England

Foden 89
Tuilagi (In place of Strettle) 89
and I put Wilkinson in ahead of Flood

overall 87

Italy

Parisse 87

overall 75

Australia
all player names and edits
overall 90

NZ
Same as Aus
overall 93

Thank you for the game, HB! It came in the mail today, been so long since '08. It's lonely being a rugby fan in America, but not being able to talk people into playing with me on multiplayer is settled now with online! (ryan91676 on psn if anybody wants to add). I'm trying to figure out which difficulty is best for me. Playing on the easiest with USA, the middle one with Ireland and the tough one with Australia. Glad you can randomise since they all hail from Pool C. thumbsup.gif

sorry buddy but you are dillusional if you think the currie cup will ever make a rugby game. The only reason the NPC got into rugby challenge is because its a game by kiwis predominantly for kiwis, so unless any sef efrikan game studios want to make a rugby game, i wouldnt hold your breath

Now imagine you had to tell that to a NZ'er a few years ago , Besides I dont mind not having the CC , meant I would be happy with just another ie any other local comp , it has the Super rugby league so that alone is more than enough for me.

ATTENTION: HB Glen, A quick fix that would improve this game tremendously.

Ok HB-Glen, so I am enjoying the game considerably(Ps3 version). The jury is still out on the ruck system, have to play more games, it is definately very different from RC rucks, but there is somthing that you could ad that would improve it a great deal,(maybe in a patch), I really like the on the fly rucking tactics, the problem is you can't really change it on the fly without getting your hands all tangled up, if you are running with the left analog stick and you know you want to go out wide, you would probably want to change your rucking tactics to "first player" very difficult to do on the fly because of using the direction buttons for the tactics, you can't take your left hand of the left analog to change the tactic on the fly as your running/passing out wide, you have to reach over the top with you right hand to change the rucking tactic(very difficult), easy fix: on offense while you are running the L2 or left analog push down button does nothing(on its own) add this as a rucking tactic change button(you can still keep the the d-pad rucking tactics, it would add tremendously to the game and the strategy of the rucks, not only could you change the ruck tactics during the ruck, but after the ruck while the play is in motion, on defense you could also add the rucking tactics change to the R1 button so the defense can really make an on the fly ruck change. I have worked a little around this by getting a controller that the d-pad is to the right of the left analog(like xbox controller), so my hand gets less tangled. Using this different controller is when I noticed being able to change the ruck tactics on the fly while you are running with the ball really makes a difference, and really allows you to enjoy the new rucking tactic feature the way it should really be impemented, it seems like it really helps to keep possession or cause turn overs, when you choose the correct rucking tactic. Please HB-Glen, this would add tremendously to this game, particularly for two players or higher levels of play. (PEOPLE, USE YOUR RUCKING TACTICS, IT REALLY GIVES YOU A DEEPER LEVEL OF PLAY!!!!)
Cheers and Salud

Last edited:
Ok HB-Glen, so I am enjoying the game considerably(Ps3 version). The jury is still out on the ruck system, have to play more games, it is definately very different from RC rucks, but there is somthing that you could ad that would improve it a great deal,(maybe in a patch), I really like the on the fly rucking tactics, the problem is you can't really change it on the fly without getting your hands all tangled up, if you are running with the left analog stick and you know you want to go out wide, you would probably want to change your rucking tactics to "first player" very difficult to do on the fly because of using the direction buttons for the tactics, you can't take your left hand of the left analog to change the tactic on the fly as your running/passing out wide, you have to reach over the top with you right hand to change the rucking tactic(very difficult), easy fix: on offense while you are running the L2 or left analog push down button does nothing(on its own) add this as a rucking tactic change button(you can still keep the the d-pad rucking tactics, it would add tremendously to the game and the strategy of the rucks, not only could you change the ruck tactics during the ruck, but after the ruck while the play is in motion, on defense you could also add the rucking tactics change to the R1 button so the defense can really make an on the fly ruck change. I have worked a little around this by getting a controller that the d-pad is to the right of the left analog(like xbox controller), so my hand gets less tangled. Using this different controller is when I noticed being able to change the ruck tactics on the fly while you are running with the ball really makes a difference, and really allows you to enjoy the new rucking tactic feature the way it should really be impemented, it seems like it really helps to keep possession or cause turn overs, when you choose the correct rucking tactic. Please HB-Glen, this would add tremendously to this game, particularly for two players or higher levels of play. (PEOPLE, USE YOUR RUCKING TACTICS, IT REALLY GIVES YOU A DEEPER LEVEL OF PLAY!!!!)
Cheers and Salud

Great idea matey. I first thought that the rucking tactic option was just a bit of a gimmick and whatever you chose didn't make any difference to the rucking mechanism. It is a direct consequence of not being able to change the tactic 'on the fly' or while I am trying to run and do other aspects of the gameplay that I probably don't change it as often as I probably should. Generally leave it to the 'balanced' option where a back will only join ruck if no forward is available. Changing defence options is slightly easier as I get a little more time to fumble with the D pad whilst a scrum/ruck is taking place!!

Why the more I play this game, the more it irritates me ?

I really wanted this game, ignoring all the bad comments on it. Got the demo, played it a lot and really hoped for more in the full game. After 2 weeks of play now, I've made up my mind. This game is not a 6/10, it's a 2/10. My opinion my differ from some people's but jeez it feels so unfinished the game. Literally all I wanted for this game is harder difficulties . But they didn't make the game harder, they made it unrealistic.From having good possession,to turnover ball and the flyhalf kicking the ball 5m from your line out, winning the line out and the breaking 10 tackles and scoring. Or flippen hookers and props running around our fullback and scoring under the post. I won the WC on Hard with Namibia, so I am quite good. But jeex this game is something I'm gonna sell today, and will buy Rugby Challenge. I don't care how bad it is, I just want to have fun. If that is crap I will go back to Rugby 2008. B.T.W Rugby 2008 is much, much better than RWC in any aspect. Respect my opinion.

Don't like being a grumpy moan guy but this game really made me sick..

Hope you guys can fix it at HB, and win back our support.

Oh well, that's fair enough, your totally entitled to that opinion. Took you out of the South African comp starting this upcoming week as you won't have your copy anymore. :)

Great idea matey. I first thought that the rucking tactic option was just a bit of a gimmick and whatever you chose didn't make any difference to the rucking mechanism. It is a direct consequence of not being able to change the tactic 'on the fly' or while I am trying to run and do other aspects of the gameplay that I probably don't change it as often as I probably should. Generally leave it to the 'balanced' option where a back will only join ruck if no forward is available. Changing defence options is slightly easier as I get a little more time to fumble with the D pad whilst a scrum/ruck is taking place!!

Yea, just yesterday I realize to try my other 3rd party ps3 controller that is set up lika xbox controller, it puts the direction pad on the right side of the left analog stick, allows me to change the rucking tactics on the fly a little easier because I don't have to reach over my left hand to get to direction pad on a (standard ps3 controller). It would just be better on a different button, or button combo, maybe L3 analog, because on the direction pad you sometimes even change your defense tactic on accident trying to change the rucking tact. Seems like it could be an easy patch fix, just assign the rucking to some other button combo you can use while running with the Lanalog stick. Would greatly improve the strategy of the ruck on the fly, and not just button mash to increase intensity, It could be my imagination but if you pick the correct rucking tactic for the right circumstance it really seems like it helps to either retain the ball, or improve turnovers. Actually that is was makes RC rucking so great you can do this on the fly. RWC is different style, but could definately be improved with this addition because the system can be used like it is supposed to be used.
Are there any third party controllers that you can change around the button assignment?
Cheers and Salud

Hb glen doesn't give a monkeys about what the real rugby viewing public think about this game.

Shame.

Latest posts