• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan will be the Worst Wcup ever in history.

doragonone

Academy Player
Country Flag
Japan
Club or Nation
Japan
Hello.Everyone. :)

I come this forum and post this message in first time.
I registered this forum because I did want to tell truth of Japan World Cup 2019.

I'm Japanese and living in there.I'm rugby fan.
Japan is elected the site of held the Rugby World Cup 2019.

However,Rugby Union isn't popular at all in my country Japan. Rugby is minor sports in here.Almost Rugby fan in here aren't approve held this Wcup. :(

In 2019.You'll see vacant seat's on stands on almost every matches.And attendances would be very few and very silent atmosphere game would be appear.
Japanese major sports is baseball and football.Rugby players population is getting less now.

Do you know how many atttendances come in Japanese Top League? Average is no more than 5000. Moreover,almost attendances of them are mobilized by team's company.
Our Top league aren't Professional league.It's just Semi-Professional.Team's name is contained Company's name and almost players from Japan is amateur player and worker in there.

On the other hands.University Rugby is popular as minor sports in here.10,000-30,000 attendances come to important game of University Rugby Championship.
Our Rugby Union is a "Students Sports" actually. Foreign people are sometime misunderstand our Rugby's popularity cause specific situation.

University Rugby Fan don't have an interest at National teams game at all. They don't have an interest about Japanese game.
Of course,Foreign national teams games aren't popular at all.Sorry,You shouldn't expectation of the reception from us.If you come to World cup's games match.You'll see very few attendances game. Perhaps,Top League company's try mobilize workers.However,They aren't interest about Rugby at all.They aren't knowing Rugby's rules.

Almost young Japanese people aren't knowing the rules at all even the Knock On.

Rugby popularity is getting less in Japan.There is some reason for it. If you have a question about our rugby popularity.I'll answer to you.

*About Japan National teams. Many Japanese people aren't approve and support about foreign players are playing in Japanese National team.
We have a strong nationalism than European countries who accepted immigrants.

I think you know Japan is almost single-ethnic country and didn't accept foreign immigrant almostly as developed countries in G8.
Rugby union's Associationism rule become obstacle of spread popularity to Japan and Asian countries.
I don't think the idea that Foreign players plays in other countries national teams aren't acceptable except Europe and America.

Welcome to the forum!

Curiously the two people on the forum most opposed to the tournament in Japan are two Japanese posters.

Well, respectfully I certainly hope you are wong. The IRB certainly didn't look great after Russia hosted the last ever Rugby 7's World Cup, but I'd assume both the JRFU and IRB would have to be very sure that the RWC will be able to be up to standards. I guess a lot of it will have to do with how well it is promoted.

All good news to the travelling supporters as

1. the tickets will be cheaper than usual, and
2. the tickets will be easier to get hold of, and
3. the supporters get to see a country that many of them will not have been to!!

All that being said, I think you will be proved wrong and that the matches will be fairly well attended and the atmosphere something special as always......the IRB and JRFU will ensure that!!

If I am able (financially), I'll certainly be travelling. I know Japan is an expensive country to visit but I expect a lot of travelling support come 2019. At least I hope so. If OP is correct... well, bring it to SA; we can host on short notice as we have the infrastructure and you won't find an empty seat.

Who else could host it? The IRB profit demands are so high that you would be stuck with England and France every time with perhaps the odd trip to SA. Got to explore other markets and give Japan a shot.

1) well you can donate this WC hosting honor to Georgia, we'll be glad
2) I would be more optimistic in your place that after RWC will be held in my country popularity of the game would rise
3) thats ok if no people will go to matches, ticketing will be easy and cheap
4) do not discredit your country you are part of it and you have to bear its honor
welcome to TRF

and yes... almost forgot.... Thanks for disclosure and showing us how "dark" Japan is from inside

3. the supporters get to see a country that many of them will not have been to!!

All that being said, I think you will be proved wrong and that the matches will be fairly well attended and the atmosphere something special as always......the IRB and JRFU will ensure that!!

It would be a far better value for money for an Englishman to go the 2019 World Cup than the 2015 World Cup.

Overall, I sort of agree that Japan will not make good hosts. I really question how much potential for growth there is in Japan. I would love to see USA/Canada host the world cup at one point in the future. I'm all for spreading the game but the world cup is also meant to be a celebration of the sport.

Curiously the two people on the forum most opposed to the tournament in Japan are two Japanese posters.

Well, respectfully I certainly hope you are wong.

Slightly racist :D

Anyway I disagree. It's 6 years and a lot can happen between now and then. Also international events tend to get more people than national ones. If it is marketted properly and made to be a point of pride for the Japanese, I can see it being a success.

If you are right that the average attendance is 5000 then that's about the same as the welsh regions :p

Well, respectfully I certainly hope you are wong.

uhm....how disrespectful...he said he was Japanese, and you call him "Wong" ?!!!....like, Chinese, Japanese, it's all the same to you, isn't it !!!!! :p

About the issue at hand. Well I'm sure with more Top League years, ppl will get a lot more into it.
Chances are Japan will have a fine result in the upcoming World Cup in England and that will spark more interest for the sport in the homeland.
In between, I'm sure from now til 2019, that's about 6 years, the national Japanese team will have improved a lot as the pressure is on.

And the RWC is such an event that, basically, whoever you are, people from other nations will stop at nothing to come and watch the show. Surely there will be an incredible amount of Australians and New Zealanders, some Pacific Islanders. I'm sure a lot of Canadians and Americans would make the trip just for the Rugby and because they are not too far.
And Japan is a big, big, big touristic destination anyways, with or without Rugby, so I think many many people from Europe would go there to discover Japan in general, and the World Cup would only be like a pretext to go there. Japan attracts so many people from so many regions of the world each year.

Honestly doragonone, I'm quite sure the Japanese authorities planned this out very intelligently, know exactly what they are doing, and I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I'm sure Japan will make excellent offers to the tourists in 2019. "Less is more".

every country has potential of growth in any kind of sports
it's just different redistribution of interests that drains many athletes from different sports
England, France, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Argentina are the countries investing huge resources in soccer
If they were that concentrated on Rugby like it is in New Zealand, RSA or Australia (which is a little exception here with its soccer) I am damn sure the dominance of SH would be not as it is now
Wales is exception to european teams and that's the reason why their rugby is beautiful than other europeans'

I've already ruled out travelling to the 2019 RWC.
Will they be issuing Hazmat suits to the fans?

It would be a far better value for money for an Englishman to go the 2019 World Cup than the 2015 World Cup.

Overall, I sort of agree that Japan will not make good hosts. I really question how much potential for growth there is in Japan. I would love to see USA/Canada host the world cup at one point in the future. I'm all for spreading the game but the world cup is also meant to be a celebration of the sport.

There really is only one hitch to that. If you have never been to Japan you won't realise what a BLOODY expensive country it is for the tourist. Things like restaurant meals and accommodation are much more expensive than any of you Northerners will be used to paying in Europeland. .

USA Soccer managed to do a great job in 1994 in a country where football is about on a par in popularity with Lacrosse, well down the scale behind American Football, Baseball, Ice Hockey, Basketball, Tennis, Golf, Horse Racing and training for anti government militia men (a.k.a Paint-ball) especially in the south. It is still the best attended FIFA World Cup in history (average attendance just under 69,000. and a the total attendance of nearly 3.6 million for the tournament) This remains the record.

I am confident that Japan is capable of hosting a great Rugby World Cup, but it is going to take a LOT of marketing by the JRU and the iRB to get Japanese bums on seats. They may even have to play to the Japanese sense of shame (loss of face) in not wanting to have their country look bad in front of the world. Don't under-estimate how important not losing face is in Japanese society. We could see a lot of "rent-a-crowd" to fill stadiums.

[TABLE="class: engineTable, width: 630"]
<tbody>[TR="class: data1"]
[TD="class: left, bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]Japan[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]23[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]8[/TD]
[TD="class: left, bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]Wales[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: left, bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]Chichibunomiya, Tokyo[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]21062[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]15 Jun 2013[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]Details[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: data1"]
[TD="class: left, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]Japan[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]6[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]54[/TD]
[TD="class: left, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]New Zealand[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: left, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]Chichibunomiya, Tokyo[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]20454[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]2 Nov 2013[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]Details[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: data1"]
[TD="class: left, bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]Japan[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]18[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]22[/TD]
[TD="class: left, bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]Wales[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: left, bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]Hanazono Field, Osaka[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]20152[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]8 Jun 2013[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE !important, align: center"]Details[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/team/highest_attendance.html?id=23;type=team
These figures are a bit different from the ones (5000ish) mentioned above, and we have to consider the buzz of the RWC and the travelling fans, so i really don't think that the world cup will have empty stadiums.

So I can get paid to go to the RWC? Where do I sign up???

You might have to apply for, and be awarded, Japanese citizenship first! :D

Seriously though, I am not kidding about the importance of "face" in Japanese culture. I have been there a number of times, both on holiday and on business, and am quite familiar with their standards of etiquette and protocol. Doing business in Japan is NOT easy for westerners.

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/japan-country-profiles.html

Last edited:
The IRB screwed up in awarding the RWC to Japan without significant changes in structure and outlook from the JRFU. Rugby in Japan is not growing like it is in its Tier 2 country peers like Canada, the US, Georgia and Romania. Japan had a higher rugby popularity to start with than these places, but it is going backwards due to a terrible attitude from the JRFU. Anyone trusting the JRFU and IRB to come through simply because they are large governing bodies is insane. Russia's RUR is another example of a terrible governing body and look what a disaster the RWC 7s was.

For anyone looking for countries that haven't hosted the RWC yet who would be good, I'd say Italy is the most obvious choice and Argentina would be good too. 10 years down the road, the US/North America would be good too. While the unions named here aren't perfect, they do a much better job and have a much more progressive outlook than the JRFU.

Latest posts