• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World cup hosting cost too much for NZ

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
New Zealand's foreign minister says hosting next year's World Cup is proving so expensive that the country may never be able to stage the tournament again.

Martin McCully says 2011 may be the last time "our small country of 4 million people can afford to host a rugby World Cup".

Speaking at a reception to promote the tournament Friday, he said that the World Cup is expected to run a loss of about $28 million.

Last week, New Zealand's federal government withdrew support for Auckland's bid to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games because of the event's projected loss of about $420 million.

New Zealand co-hosted the inaugural World Cup in 1987 with Australia.[/b]
Source

OUCH!!!That is not good news for New Zealand :eek:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
our small country of 4 million people[/b]

Wow. Didn't realise it's that small. Though i reckon 500,000 of those kiwis play in Europe lol.

What's this you say? Australia to step in at the last moment and make sure the damn thing actually goes ahead?

Again?

How about no...

Of course we'll never be able to hold the tornement again, with the amount England, Japan, France, South Africa, Australia, Italy etc are willing to pay for it, the tornement being in New Zealand is mainly a token "last time" thing anyway. Let's face it, other then New Zealander's there isn't the same appeal to go to New Zealand as there is to France as it's much more accessable to other nations etc Spain, UK, Italy.

If the World Cup moved to Australia I would no longer watch rugby.

Shades of "I told you so" there...It was always going to be like that anyway...

Knowing it's the last time will add even more pressure to the Kiwis, which will lead to the unavoidable choke somewhere along the line...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Mar 26 2010, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
our small country of 4 million people[/b]

Wow. Didn't realise it's that small. Though i reckon 500,000 of those kiwis play in Europe lol.
[/b][/quote]

and how about an income from fans and tourists?

if I get some small salary, I am also to come to NZ and spend some cash there :)))

I know people were ****** off that New Zealand got the World Cup ahead of Japan (and to a lesser extent SA) but it's probably a good thing that they did. We're one year out from 2011. Japan don't have a team good enough to compete for a quarter final spot. If Japan hosted next year's competition, chances are that they'd be hockeyed and it would do untold damage to the growth of the sport there.

That said, hosting it in SA would have been a better financial decision.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 27 2010, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know people were ****** off that New Zealand got the World Cup ahead of Japan (and to a lesser extent SA) but it's probably a good thing that they did. We're one year out from 2011. Japan don't have a team good enough to compete for a quarter final spot. If Japan hosted next year's competition, chances are that they'd be hockeyed and it would do untold damage to the growth of the sport there.

That said, hosting it in SA would have been a better financial decision.[/b]

Hope no taxes and costs are going to be increased while RWC

there's one spot: if you do not have means enough to cope with World Cup campaign you can avoid headache with postponing application for hosting it ;) ;) ;) ;)

I think NZ will host RWC in a good way and everything will be fine (without financial crisis)

what about host team to get quarters: guess we have seen numerous examples (of different world cup competitions in different sports) where hosts did foul in reaching out from even pool stages but sports drive was not faded away

Heck with GST included on the way, expect tickets to be a tad bit more expensive. I hate National.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 27 2010, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

That said, hosting it in SA would have been a better financial decision.[/b]
Yeah, like the tickets for the Fifa World Cup are selling so great...

The world cup in New Zealand is an excellent thing. New Zealand is the only country in the world were rugby is truly the national sport , the stadiums are fantastic ( Wellington, Eden Park, North Harbour, Christchurch ), the athmosphere will incredible. The only thing, it is at the other end of the world for most of us. It is going to take close to 24 hours to get to Auckland from where I am , but I will get there.

Guys, even Australia can't or simply won't host the RWC again. The only Japan can host it is because they're hanging off the coat-tails of the Dive-ball World Cup 2002's legacy.

In the 2020s, the ANZACs could be well advised to just bury the hatchet and do a joint bit. Eden Park can get its final extension completed to make it look good and join the 80,000 club.

And to those pooh-poohing the idea of a big stadium in New Zealand COME ON!!! Surely theres more than 80,000 All Black fans within a 70 mile radius of Eden Park on match day with enough NZ$ for a Summer international ticket.

Seriously, the Welsh sell their roof tiles for rugby tickets. You can't claim to be the most insane rugby fans on the planet then say "aw gee shucks, if I buy this ticket to the All Blacks game then I won't be able to buy my iPad" man the HELL up, New Zealand. Seriously. Willie Apiata VC would find a way to buy a ticket so that means EVERYONE else in New Zealand can. End of discussion.

....okay that went on a bit of a tangent...

Guys, even Australia can't or simply won't host the RWC again. The only Japan can host it is because they're hanging off the coat-tails of the Dive-ball World Cup 2002's legacy.

In the 2020s, the ANZACs could be well advised to just bury the hatchet and do a joint bit. Eden Park can get its final extension completed to make it look good and join the 80,000 club.

And to those pooh-poohing the idea of a big stadium in New Zealand COME ON!!! Surely theres more than 80,000 All Black fans within a 70 mile radius of Eden Park on match day with enough NZ$ for a Summer international ticket.

Seriously, the Welsh sell their roof tiles for rugby tickets. You can't claim to be the most insane rugby fans on the planet then say "aw gee shucks, if I buy this ticket to the All Blacks game then I won't be able to buy my iPad" man the HELL up, New Zealand. Seriously. Willie Apiata VC would find a way to buy a ticket so that means EVERYONE else in New Zealand can. End of discussion.

....okay that went on a bit of a tangent...

WOOOOW, got tired :))))

Don't be a retard. Australia hosted a hugely successful RWC in 2003. Not to mention has twice hosted THE OLYMPIC GAMES and are in strong contention to host the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP, events that if you think clearly for a moment, are a great deal ******* bigger than anything rugby has to offer.

Don't be a retard. Australia hosted a hugely successful RWC in 2003. Not to mention has twice hosted THE OLYMPIC GAMES and are in strong contention to host the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP, events that if you think-

airhornsman..jpg

Actually, if you had bothered to read my post past what you probably saw as convict bashing (partially correct) you'll probably have found that I was referring to John O'Neill's rather timid capitulation in 2009 when he stated, categorically that he could not bid for either the 2015 or 2019 Rugby World Cups because the ARU would run the very real risk of going bankrupt as a result.

If you weren't such a bloody dime bar you would have noticed that I didn't mention anything about 2003 RWC and if you weren't so eager to get a dig in and wave your willy about regarding hosting big events then you would have joined me in bashing the your sheep shagging Kiwi cousins.

Listen kid just sit down, have a breather and understand the reality of the situation: the current system for running a RWC right now basically means that only those with substantial government funding can afford to host a RWC.

If you can find a way for the ARU to bid for a RWC without needing loads of dodgy plastic Aussie monopoly money from Her Majesty's Government in Canberra then make sure you go to ARU HQ and let John O'Neill know about it.

Then the story can appear in the Sun: "***s on Page 3; John & Eric".

Latest posts