• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

How about when you get turned over attacking their try line and the flyhalf kicks the ball literally sometimes 90 metres into touch down the other end!

Is that some kind of sick and twisted joke?!
:lol:

For the hundredth time:

Hold left trigger/L2 (depending which console you're on) and the press pass

Well that sucks. From what everyone is saying, RWC2011 is pretty much 2008 on the PS3 with less teams, less tournaments and a few game play fixes.... At this point I think I will just order Rugby Challenge. I'll try it out then make a decision after I've played it to see if I want to get RWC2011 or their next offering, which I assume will be an extrapolation on RWC2011. I wish these two developers would **** or get off the pot... two half ass games (based on licenses) only hurts the gamer's experience.....they could easily form a joint venture and get way more sales and gamer approval. Just my 2 cents. If I could demo the darn game it might change my views but for now I rely on you folks! One good thing though is walmart is pretty forgiving....if you return it and say it was utter garbage they don't put up much of a fight (you'll get a gift card for the value).

Well that sucks. From what everyone is saying, RWC2011 is pretty much 2008 on the PS3 with less teams, less tournaments and a few game play fixes.... At this point I think I will just order Rugby Challenge. I'll try it out then make a decision after I've played it to see if I want to get RWC2011 or their next offering, which I assume will be an extrapolation on RWC2011. I wish these two developers would **** or get off the pot... two half ass games (based on licenses) only hurts the gamer's experience.....they could easily form a joint venture and get way more sales and gamer approval. Just my 2 cents. If I could demo the darn game it might change my views but for now I rely on you folks! One good thing though is walmart is pretty forgiving....if you return it and say it was utter garbage they don't put up much of a fight (you'll get a gift card for the value).

Just keep playing 08 its the same game with little improvements, some even dumbed down (lineouts, rucks) We already know 1 game is half-assed, We dont know about the other yet.

i was really disappointed with the demo thought the way you could just run around players with chris ashton and bryan habana

Ok been away a few days so just got the demo last night and here is my 'voice of the normal man' which is influenced neither by Rwc/rc bias or general internet keyboard warrior tendencies..

I can see why people are happy with the demo, it's clearly a step on with the variety of new attacking (chips, fast grubbers, pick and gos) and defensive (guard control,fringe defence) abilities which will give much more choice in how to craft line breaks, tries and epic try line defense.

On the flip side I can also completely see why people are frustrated and underwhelmed. 2 things in play here, one is HBs fault and one is not.

1st up someone mentioned earlier that if you play this like 08 it will feel like 08. That's true as it's so easy on the demo you can just spin it out and run around people rather than utilise the new tools at your disposal. That one is on the player as if you want to try out the new stuff you can do so in the demo, but as you don't NEED to it's easy not to bother.

That's where it creeps into being an error on hb's part. Just like the trailer they have undersold themselves here. I understand having the demo on easy to entice newbies and let them get into it, but it's a big mistake not to offer a higher difficulty option on the demo. it's excluding anyone who's played one of their previous ***les from proper exposure to the new features as using v basic 08 skills you'll run right through the defence so there's no need to learn the new skills that I believe will be essential on hard or versus another player worth his onions.

So in short, I'm getting this, I think it's going to be fun on hard and great craic online.

People need to look at the potential of this, rather than focusing on 'easy is quite easy'...but yeah again hb left themselves open to this criticism by not showcasing their wares better.

I feel bad for them as they've added to the gameplay a lot more than say fifa 10 to fifa 11, I do think thats what will win out in the end here, but they are a bit their own worst enemy for marketing bloopers.

Ok been away a few days so just got the demo last night and here is my 'voice of the normal man' which is influenced neither by Rwc/rc bias or general internet keyboard warrior tendencies..

I can see why people are happy with the demo, it's clearly a step on with the variety of new attacking (chips, fast grubbers, pick and gos) and defensive (guard control,fringe defence) abilities which will give much more choice in how to craft line breaks, tries and epic try line defense.

On the flip side I can also completely see why people are frustrated and underwhelmed. 2 things in play here, one is HBs fault and one is not.

1st up someone mentioned earlier that if you play this like 08 it will feel like 08. That's true as it's so easy on the demo you can just spin it out and run around people rather than utilise the new tools at your disposal. That one is on the player as if you want to try out the new stuff you can do so in the demo, but as you don't NEED to it's easy not to bother.

That's where it creeps into being an error on hb's part. Just like the trailer they have undersold themselves here. I understand having the demo on easy to entice newbies and let them get into it, but it's a big mistake not to offer a higher difficulty option on the demo. it's excluding anyone who's played one of their previous ***les from proper exposure to the new features as using v basic 08 skills you'll run right through the defence so there's no need to learn the new skills that I believe will be essential on hard or versus another player worth his onions.

So in short, I'm getting this, I think it's going to be fun on hard and great craic online.

People need to look at the potential of this, rather than focusing on 'easy is quite easy'...but yeah again hb left themselves open to this criticism by not showcasing their wares better.

I feel bad for them as they've added to the gameplay a lot more than say fifa 10 to fifa 11, I do think thats what will win out in the end here, but they are a bit their own worst enemy for marketing bloopers.

Nice and balanced. I agree with a lot of what your saying here. :)

My Review of the Demo

Got the demo today and have played around with it for a few hours, here's what I thought.

Ok so it is amazing to have Rugby on the XBOX 360. I literally unplugged the PS2 today and fired up RWC 2011.

My first impressions are that it all looks rather nice. The menu's, pages all look good and its nice to have a polished look rather than the 1-photo dull colours. Having secured the RWC rights it does look rather nice with the official logos etc. However, I do have a concern that even by Christmas this is going to feel a bit dated. Its RWC 2011 with only 4 months of 2011 left. I guess theres room for having called it International Rugby or Rugby 2012 but hey thats not the end of the world.

Graphics:
Ok, no secret here, this is not a polished, neat looking graphics example. The player likenesses are unidentifiable and although the crowds and stadiums are very good the overall graphics is not what you'd expect from this generation of gaming. Logos and kit detail is hard to make out, its a tad blotchy. In my opinion Graphics is a small part of the game and its good enough if you just want to play a rugby game and are not bothered by the finest of details.

Commentary:
A host of commentators here and I like the way you can pick between the Kiwi and English commentary. In patches its good but it really doesn't flow like in 08 and previous ***les. Its all a bit to 'recorded' and sounds like people reading straight from a script rather than commentating on a game. I.e. When talking about a lineout for instance there is a 4-5 line dialouge which seems like its forced out. Again, not an important part of the game for me, personally I thought the commentary on 08 was better.

Gameplay:
This was to me by far the most important aspect of the game. You can definately see this is a close relative of 08 which is a good thing! Player movement works well and the control is very responsive. I just feel with this and 08 to further extent........this is a rugby game made by people who don't really watch a lot of rugby or have a good knowledge of the game and how it works. A classic example hit me straight from the kick-off. The computer kicks off and it kicks straight to my fly-half deep in my 22. This just doesn't happen in real rugby, it was a glitch in 08 and a bit of a shame to see it here too. Another few little mishaps;

* When you have an advantage in rugby you can take the penalty rather than wait for the penalty to be given. I had advantage in a ruck and was waiting for the penalty but got done for time wasting!

* You cannot run straight at someone and jump through the air to tackle them straight on, this would be deemed dangerous play. Obviously you can tackle through diving for a player but you're not allowed to leave your feet head-on.

* When the ball is in your in-goal area often players automatically dived on the ball and took the 22 drop-out. Sometimes if there's no attacker in site it may be better to simply pick-up then kick for touch

* When box kicking from a ruck close to the touchline your scrum-half will always walk into touch.

A feature of gameplay I did like was RWC is a little more disjointed and natural in parts. I.e. after rucks and malls and a few phases players sometimes were out of position and you could get mismatches rather that it all being very well organised and everyone in a perfect position.

Although it seems to have improved there are still ****les which need to be sorted for future games. Somehow, in RWC players have forgot how to play a supporting role. When sprinting with a player everyone else on your team jogs, I really hope this isn't the same in the game. Almost everytime the backline was running with the ball the winger would be jogging instead of keeping up with the ball carrier, therefore when your centre is in possession and passes to the winger the winger will get caught everytime. This is one of the biggest flaws of the game I've picked out so far and is a big step backwards.

In term so realism, this is clearly an Arcade game not a straight out rugby simulation. Its easy to get to grips with, especially if you've played 08. As I've mentioned above there are a few ****les and HB would really benefit from getting rugby fans/professionals to just explain how the game of rugby works.

Overall

First and foremost, thanks to HB for giving us a rugby game! It doesn't look perfect but the gameplay is good enough to keep you entertained for a few hours. As mentioned by one of the TRF guys in the playtest, this game's long-term success relies solely on the online play. Unfortunately my broadband is slow so I doubt I'll be able to take full advantage of the online feature, it could however be massive amounts of fun.

From the outset I've always said I was worried about the longevity of this game. Like many others I was a bit dissapointed that its the world cup, warm up tours and one-off test matches. This seems to be a step backwards really in terms of features but so much relies on licencing these days. The world cup does have the function to randomize pools which will give it a bit of extra mileage but honestly, when you've won the world cup with your own country theres nowhere else really left to go.

Overall its pleasing to see rugby on the 360 after such a long spell since the last game. Hopefully there will be some nice add-ons through XBOX live like updated rosters etc. It plays a lot like 08 and if you enjoyed that then you'll probably enjoy this. Unfortunately it won't have anywhere near as much longevity as 08 and the gameplay just doesn't do enough to make up for the small amount of features. From the demo I'd give it a 5 out of 10, hopefully a few things are tweaked for the game. I'll buy it but in reality after winning the world cup a few times and unproven online gameplay i'd actually consider going back to 08 or checking out rugby challenge. Its an ok game but its woefully short of options, to the point where I'd accept a drop in gameplay for longevity.

So, I'll get it but I feel (and im sure others do) its a bit of a dissapointment, the demo hasn't nearly met my expectations.Shame, but anyway see you all online on the 26th!

I like the fact that props and forwards look bigger than your backs. there is a destiction between size. AWESOME!

one option I'd like to see in this is to be able change GAMESPEED (like in FIFA and Streetfighter) - For me it feels a little fast, making it more arcadelike.

I think it could be slowed down a bit and would make it feel a bit more real and showoff the speed/acceleration dynamics on key players in the game.

Anybody know how fast Habana can run end to end in real life (with nothing in his way) and how fast he can do it ingame?

A GT5 simulator speed would be good where each car does 0-60 in the same time it can for real. Which makes driving slow cars boring etc but it would be a nice welcomed option in my opinion.

And last thing - kill the 29 man chase on imminent try scorer...

Last edited:
One of the major changes I have noticed is the difference in the speed of the gameplay compared with Rugby 08. Rugby 2011 is much slower and will take a while to get used to.

I really don't like the try replays as it doesn't show the whole build up of the try until the third replay.

Hey guys!

Any help? How can i get this game demo in SA? In SA, if you open a xbox live account, you get one month free gold trail, but its not on the marketplace? Can someone maybe give me the demo by any chance? Played it with my friend last night, its kinda fun.

Any help will be so nice?

Thanks guys!

* Why does the ball always bounce in straight lines, its a rugby ball!

* England players are drastically overrated. Flood a better goal kicker than Morne Steyn? I almost laughed out load when I first took control of Dan Cole. He can side step, the lot. Tom Palmer is as quick as any back and Mike Tindall moves like shane williams!

What I find is the most dissapointing aspect of all this.

The people who enjoy the game( which is fair enough) are having to explain how it's different to rugby 08. If the game was developed with a clear definition, rugby 08 shouldn't of even been mentioned. I'm not a "fan boy" of RC, but they seem to have their heads screwed on straight over there. They took the advice from the community and have BUILT a game. Not repackaged a previous ***le's gameplay (which was so bad that it didn't even sell enough copies to be deemed worthy of a sequel). We can all ***** and moan about the licences, but if you don't have them, then you have to expect to beat the competition in gameplay. Something that Pro Evo managed for a number of years over their FIFA counterpart.

The dissapointment comes from the fact that they didn't develop and they didn't even bother to fix clear errors and glitches in 08, they ignored the horrendous problems. They added a shiney new rucking system(which works, but how difficult was that) and a few dummy passes and called it a day. Honestly, i'd like to know exactly what they did "develop". What took so long that they had to feed us a re-incarnation of the same game.

I wont be buying RWC, I already own it's older, more advanced brother on a weaker console. For this reason, i will be giving a chance to RC.

Latest posts