• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

Hell we can do it in not one, but TWO different languages :D also damn it man! Where is your hat?!
I haven't gone bald enough for one as yet. :)

In all seriousness, it's one thing I love about the culture of the supporters of some of the UK teams, they really get into it and passionately support in a different way to most of us NZ'ers.

Of course it's not as if people on the forum have played the game on harder difficulties...and posted about it...where people can read it...

so now you're telling me that what he is saying as fact based on someone else's opinion should be taken as fact?

I'll summarise.
Lionmaul: "it is a completely different game on harder difficulties"
Me: "oh, is that so. Have you played it on the higher difficulties?"
Lionmaul: "no I haven't. But a guy on a forum post has for an hour or two, and he said, in his opinion difficulties make a difference"

I don't think his is the strongest position from which to lecture others on how the game plays on harder difficulties. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
its great, RWC is exactly what i expected - 2008 in HD and online.....im not disapointted

i gather some of the disapointment around the community is the usual

a. just had their 13th b'day, never played JLR or has stood the test of time with rugby gaming and its shortcomings and expect madden/fifa quality
b. somehow thought next generation meant madden/fifa quality
c. wanted 2008 totally reworked from scratch - ie hated 2008
d. thought 4 years exhile meant brand new experience

i'll see the rest of you in the lobbys - fire up

so now you're telling me that what he is saying as fact based on someone else's opinion should be taken as fact?

I'll summarise.
Lionmaul: "it is a completely different game on harder difficulties"
Me: "oh, is that so. Have you played it on the higher difficulties?"
Lionmaul: "no I haven't. But a guy on a forum post has for an hour or two, and he said, in his opinion difficulties make a difference"

I don't think his is the strongest position from which to lecture others on how the game plays on harder difficulties. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.

If your going to quote someone(like me) please don't do it from memory, go back and get the quote correct! And from what you thought I said, I can clearly see you didn't read my post correctly. Fact, the foward play is different, fact, the rucking system is considerably different, meaning you will see ther real difference in this game on harder levels because when you are forced to use your forwards due to harder AI you will notice the difference in forward play and how you handle the rucks.
Cheers and Salud

Last edited:
I love it! What sets it apart from RC is it's look. The menus and in game score board graphics look so professional. Also feels heavier which I love. The hits don't just look harder but feel harder. It is great fun, of loads are great but passing a bit sketchy

I own every Union Rugby ***le that came out since Jonah Lomu Rugby for the 1995 world cup. I'm not a league fan. And I must say playing one on the 360 feels great. I am loving the demo. So what if people think it's the same as 08 and there is still bunching and other bugs. At least now we have a rugby game with updated team and player stats. Updated players in the teams. If they can put out a new Rugby game each year to improve on the previous games that will be good. They will never be able to please everyone that plays the game. There is not a game out that does not get criticized by someone. It's about freaking time we get a rugby game on the newer gen consoles. And now we are even treated to 2 games in the same year. It can only get better from here.

Thank You HB for giving us this demo before release and thank you for even putting in the effort to make a rugby game instead of making a brand new football/soccer/cricket/tennis/basketball game. If you guys didn't make these where would we be.

................Playing Rugby Challenge.

I played the demo again last night and I think its an awesome game, even on easy i can see a huge difference in the AI on attack.....
England kicked a couple of cross kicks and scored from it, and they have scored a few tries against me using chip kicks and side steps...

on defense i can also see a big difference, even on easy, they keep their line and you actually have to commit a defender before you pass or else they just shift...
and sometimes they shoot out the defensive line and flatten my player..

even though you can get through easily enough through the gap on the wing...i think it makes it a bit harder this way as before the wing will commit and you will score everytime...now its not that easy cause once you are through the gap you have the fullback and the wing to contend with...

if this is the easy setting then i can only imagine how challenging its going to be on hard...
also i think the rucks are awesome, much better than 08...at least you have some control over the possession outcome...
and its cool that there are more penalties now, both for AI and the player....where in 08 you almost never gave away a penalty.

cant wait for the full game....Well Done HB

In my opinion, this is a terrible terrible disappointment. Having been waiting for a rugby game since the days of Rugby 08 I was so excited to see the new game coming out. However, it seems they have simply re-released Rugby 08 with a new ***le and a few added tweaks. A new random ruck system where you can press 'x' as many times as you like but your bar won't increase. Everything else is still as chunky and the AI is still terrible in defense (although this is the lowest AI level - hopefully it will be a lot harder on the top levels). To be honest, I would rather they just released Rugby 08 on PS3 if this is the accumulation of 3 years work, at least Rugby 08 has club teams and various competitions. If anything RWC 2011 is just one massive step sideways, hugely disappointed.

The best way to catch your own chip kick is to sprint after you kicked then jump at the right time....you should get the ball 70% of the time..

This game looks more professional than Rugby Challenge. I'm judging according to videos. Played the demo last night. I like it. Will post more comments on the game later. I just like the game thus far..

ive had 2 or 3 games (before the rest of the flat voted me off) so didnt have too much a go. still i like it, once i got kinda used to the controls (my pc controls were different and havnt played my xbox in years).

looking forward to online though!

I quite enjoyed the demo. Better and a bit more solid than '08 with a couple extra tricks and flicks. Tbh I didn't play that much of '08 so the similarity is probably not going to bother me as much as some on here.

Btw did anyone else notice that Bryan Habana has clearly been modelled on Barack Obama? Has anyone seen them in the same room?!?

Good potential with room to improve. Would have liked some of the issues in 08 to have been addressed such as kicking off and taking a reciever out of it in mid-air and your not even controlling the player. Menues & music is much improved. The engine runs at a nice pace and drop kicks have improved. I felt the demo at least was lacking in replay videos Im not sure if this is addressed in the main game. Officials right no TMO big disapointment but would have at least expected some lines men and or official. Kicking ARGH this gets to me as a major peve. The kickers are just too stationary would have been great if they recognised even looking at the posts. The advantage rule is greatly improved from 08. The commentary is great even if at times feels a slight bit broken. Plenty of turnovers keeps the game moving well a good improvement on 08. This would be a great game for having friends around or introducing new people to the game of rugby

WHat score can u guys conjure up against the AI.. i won 42 - 0 against England. Bryan habana can score pretty much everytime he is in space.

All in all .. this game seems to have let me down. it is a definitely an improvement in gameplay and AI which is good but i loved 08 for its player creator and its roster management . I would buy this game if it had the exact same graphics and gameplay as 08 with an updates roster and player creator.. but it has gone completely lacking in those options.. HB guys did improve the aspects they wanted to tho so thats good.

I have to say I love the game.
I loved rugby 08 and this is a definite improvement.
The chip kick is fantastic fun (although I'm not very good at it and end up conceding possession far too easily).
The pick and go adds fantastic realism, and the offloads from my experience are not too bad.
Running zig zags with the players has been altered and I'm finding that the game is really fun to experiment with.
The player faces, though I could name the players each face is meant to represent, are not great. A certain rugby game that must not be named seems to have this part nailed, but I'm not sure about the rest.
In my opinion Tom Croft is not fast enough on the game. He is second to Charlie Sharples in terms of pace in the England squad yet plods around like Moody.
The recycled animations although slightly annoying at first, seeing things repeated, really have not concerned me at all.
I will preorder the game and am sure I will have 12 months of non-stop rugby fun, because essentially, games are for fun, not realism. Call of Duty isn't that realistic and recycles most things game to game. I mean, what kind of a soldier comes back to life or runs around with a sniper. As far as a rugby sim goes, this isn't up there, but that's not what it's made for. If you want fun, I recommend getting rid of ridiculous expectations and preconceptions and start to appreciate how fun it is to let Dan Cole run the length of the pitch.

I suck at chip kicks but I really love the button tapping. It adds human error. For example if I'm down on the board I will get fustrated and tap the button harder therefore giving away penalties like the real game of rugby!

I am truly astounded that anyone is excited about this. I just did not make room for the possibility that there would be this little to offer in terms of improvement and difference between this and the older ***les. I'm also really annoyed at those hyped up previews.

Here are the good things:
1. Dummys (That work on CPU Players)
2. Changing back to the 06 drop goals
3. Changing back to 06 advantage

Not impressed... not buying...

Oh. and I forgot how sick i am of the world in union song. thanks RWC 2011 for reminding me

Latest posts