• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Broadcasting

A

An Tarbh

Is it me or has the standard of the coverage from the host broadcaster been pure rubbish.

A couple of things from the Ireland game last night, the quality of camera work for Flannery's try was appaling in my opinion, they missed it initially where he grounded the ball, I just assumed he was on the line but couldn't make out, maybe it was clearer for others.

Another was Trimble's try, he may have pace but he's not quick and I'm pretty sure he was offside yet no side on angle to confirm whether he was or not.

I don't know if it is TF1 who are doing the broadcasts themselves or if there's just another group who they all take the feed from but if it is it wouldn't be surprising from what I've heard during matches where they've been explaining the game of rugby.

The deals seem done for 2011 but the IRB really need to look at getting reputable broadcasters who regularly show rugby and have some degree of experience in what they're doing, they could also take a leaf out of FIFA's book and make sure the entire tournament is available on free-to-air, sattelite stations should be allowed to bid as well but never as the exclusive rights holder. In Ireland alone the exposure that would have been got on RTÉ compared to TV3 and Setanta would have been streets ahead.

Your right - quite a few times they have showed a replay 2 or 3 times whilst the game has restarted and we have missed crucial set piece plays.

Nothing really surprises me when it comes to incompetence with the IRB, however they really have missed a trick with this world cup in terms of broadcasting, doing a decent job when they have they're at their most exposed, but no we'll get some clowns in to do the job who are more used to the pedestrian pace of a football match.