• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Discussion thread: Ireland are bulbous and ready to dominate

There was once talk of converting Madigan to 9 and it could have been his best position imo. If it happens though it'll just be because of how terrible Boss and Marmion have been. I don't see it happening though. You need 3 9s and Madigan is too busy covering everywhere else in the backline that he couldn't really do it unless Schmidt is thinking of changing his mo and putting Jackson on the bench.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Need a lad to play 20 mins? First hour against a minnow? Good service and experience for a young 10?

peter-stringer_1365304a.jpg

There was once talk of converting Madigan to 9 and it could have been his best position imo. If it happens though it'll just be because of how terrible Boss and Marmion have been. I don't see it happening though. You need 3 9s and Madigan is too busy covering everywhere else in the backline that he couldn't really do it unless Schmidt is thinking of changing his mo and putting Jackson on the bench.

Last time he had both fit and in form, Jackson was preferred except for the one match where there were serious injury doubts over half the backline. It wouldn't be much of a change really.

Rumoured Irish Squad

Healy
McGrath
White
Furlong
Ross

Best
Strauss
Cronin

Toner
Henderson
Poc
Ryan

Murphy
Henry
Sob
Pom
Heaslip

Murray
Reddan

Sexton
Madigan
Jackson

Cave
Payne
Henshaw

Zebo
Bowe
D. Kearney
Earls
Luke
R. Kearney

Although there are rumours there's no Paddy Jackson

Rumoured Irish Squad

Healy
McGrath
White
Furlong
Ross

Best
Strauss
Cronin

Toner
Henderson
Poc
Ryan

Murphy
Henry
Sob
Pom
Heaslip

Murray
Reddan

Sexton
Madigan
Jackson

Cave
Payne
Henshaw

Zebo
Bowe
D. Kearney
Earls
Luke
R. Kearney

Although there are rumours there's no Paddy Jackson

If true Cave would be a surprise, the Nordies will lose their **** if Fitzgerald is picked instead of Trimble, ditto Madigan and Jackson.

If true Cave would be a surprise, the Nordies will lose their **** if Fitzgerald is picked instead of Trimble, ditto Madigan and Jackson.

Well in my eyes. Payne and Earls seem to have the 13 slots. Both are extremely comfortable and used to Cave. Payne with Ulster Earls with Ireland at various levels. So in games where we rest Henshaw it'll make sense to have Cave.
Furlong over Moore and more so only having 1 fit LH prop for first 2 games will be the risk

Well in my eyes. Payne and Earls seem to have the 13 slots. Both are extremely comfortable and used to Cave. Payne with Ulster Earls with Ireland at various levels. So in games where we rest Henshaw it'll make sense to have Cave.
Furlong over Moore and more so only having 1 fit LH prop for first 2 games will be the risk

Agreed, also only bringing two scrum halfs seems a bit dodgy but overall I'd be happy with that squad bar Luke over Trimble. The Wales game proved how important his physicality is at the top level and I thought he was excellent in the the first warm up.

Jackson wasn't very good at all against Wales at the weekend. Number of pretty poor decisions.

It'd be pretty hypocritical of me to deride Madigan's game management when Jacko was all over the show on Saturday.

[Although us Nordies do a pretty good job of hypocrisy...]

In other much more important news, when are the GAA going to act on the antics of those durty nordies Tyrone and Armagh.... errr I mean Dublin and Mayo at the weekend?

[Pity it wasnt Kerry involved, just to see Spillane's gurning about it.]

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, also only bringing two scrum halfs seems a bit dodgy but overall I'd be happy with that squad bar Luke over Trimble. The Wales game proved how important his physicality is at the top level and I thought he was excellent in the the first warm up.

Sure if one gets injured, your shipping another over on one of Michael O'Leary's finest war chariots.

Its very unlikely you'll injure one in training a couple of days before a game [shirley].

Jackson wasn't very good at all against Wales at the weekend. Number of pretty poor decisions.

It'd be pretty hypocritical of me to deride Madigan's game management when Jacko was all over the show on Saturday.

[Although us Nordies do a pretty good job of hypocrisy...]

In other much more important news, when are the GAA going to act on the antics of those durty nordies Tyrone and Armagh.... errr I mean Dublin and Mayo at the weekend?

[Pity it wasnt Kerry involved, just to see Spillane's gurning about it.]

- - - Updated - - -

Sure if one gets injured, your shipping another over on one of Michael O'Leary's finest war chariots.

Its very unlikely you'll injure one in training a couple of days before a game [shirley].

No, you're more likely to have one pick up a knock that keeps them out for two weeks with important games in the middle, giving you the choice of replacing that player for the entire tournament, or going into big games with only one scrum-half.

It makes sense to me only in that neither Boss nor Marmion really seem to offer cover of the necessary standard anyway.

Fitzgerald over Trimble would presumably be fitness concerns; can't argue with those. I guess you could say "Well, he'll wear them for Healy, why not Trimble?", but that's a little searching for annoyance, even if I'd rather Trimble lived his dream. Would be a big gain for you guys if you did get him properly fit though.

If Jackson got left out... I'd probably kiss Schmidt's feet if he asked to be honest. Ulster's chances of early season wins skyrockets, Ireland's chances of getting into trouble with a badly timed injury also rises. Win-win for me.

2 scrum halves a big risk. I would take Trimble over Fitz too ugh

The prop situation is a bit weird but Furlong did play there a bit in his first year of 20s.

I find the idea of only two scrumhalves a bit disconcerting, I don't think I could take that risk.

Why are people presuming its Fitz over Trimble anyway? They don't play the same positions really. DK would be the one I'd say is going over him in that squad.

There's another rumour I'm fairly sceptical of at the moment that Trimble won't be included because he has told Schmidt that he cant in conscience he can't play on consecutive Sundays.

The prop situation is a bit weird but Furlong did play there a bit in his first year of 20s.

I find the idea of only two scrumhalves a bit disconcerting, I don't think I could take that risk.

Why are people presuming its Fitz over Trimble anyway? They don't play the same positions really. DK would be the one I'd say is going over him in that squad.

There's another rumour I'm fairly sceptical of at the moment that Trimble won't be included because he has told Schmidt that he cant in conscience he can't play on consecutive Sundays.

Where'd you hear that? Trimble is meant to be weirdly religious though.

Has he not played on Sunday's before for Ulster?
Madigan confirmed as 3rd choice 9 too. Training there all week.

To be honest actually, 2 scrum halves is better than 3 with Boss in the squad. No offence, but he's kinda ****e.