• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Semi Final: New Zealand - Australia (16-10-2011, 21:00)

My question on Thorn had more to do with him going back to league in 2005.

On Thorn: He's been the best player of the WC imo, followed closely by Franks and Kaino (and perhaps some welshman... Roberts?)

The pressure/hate obviously got to him, whether he would like to admit it or not. It's hard to see him having such a bad campaign in Australia or really anywhere outside New Zealand.

As much as I enjoyed booing him, if i see him town this week - i'll shake his hand. The scary thing is, as badly as he played - he still would've been one of the top no 10's in the comp. If he stays in Union in Aus, he'll do just fine.

I wonder what he said to SBW after the match...

My question on Thorn had more to do with him going back to league in 2005.

Oh ok, yeah in that same documentary I told you about he said he wasnt happy so he went back to League in 05, but then League had changed a lot when he was playing, then he went back to Canterbury where he really learnt to love the game.

You have to really know Rugby to know what a champion player he is. Hes a Rugby players player.

New Zealand put in a perfect performance, they got the tries they needed and then defended a wave of second half Australian pressure to record a comfortable victory. The Wallabies looked tired and hopefully that will be a factor going into the game against Wales, a team known for being one of the fittest in the tournament.

how far can dagg kick a rugby ball? haha mate he punted the skin off those balls on sunday night.:D

francois steyn vs israel dagg in who can punt the ball the furthest

I don't think any All Black can beat Francois Steyn (or Riaan Viljoen or Johan Goosen) when it comes to who can kick the furthest.

I don't think any All Black can beat Francois Steyn (or Riaan Viljoen or Johan Goosen) when it comes to who can kick the furthest.

Luke McAlister would give them a good run. Kicked a penalty over 62m a couple of weeks ago for Toulouse, and he's kicked one against the wind when he played for North Harbour. Dan Carter kicked a 60m kick a couple of years back, but I'm not sure if he can still do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EBc3tCAh1E
Luke McAlister 63m penalty (Toulouse v Racing Metro) 0:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AN46GPFDAc
Luke McAlister 62m penalty (North Harbour v Auckland)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4S-cAXCtw4
Daniel Carter 62m penalty (All Blacks v Springboks)

That being said...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muI0ULBSWmw
Francois Steyn 66m penalty (Racing Metro v Leinster)

Last edited:
Thought the naki forwards were pretty good in that shield game too.. no doubt he has some potential but he is bloody unpolished, he had flashes of good play. Agreed though there's plenty of good guys coming through, Hoeata will be the next Brad Thorn I hope. I'd like to see Crotty kick on, also think Tom Taylor could be the next Aaron Mauger type guy for Canterbury.

that Jared Payne whos playing for Ulster would be looking at the next cup too.

interesting few pages.

McCaw and carter are signed on to the next world cup but it will be interesting to see how their carriers unfold from now.

I think McCaw needs a rest, he's not so keen on having a stint overseas. maybe if the guy just takes most/all of the super15 season off to get his foot and any other ****les sorted right have a holiday and build his fitness back up to come back into test rugby later next year.

Carter i think is keen to have another stint overseas and play Heini cup. But he's obviously got his injury and could do with a rest as well. may mean Having break from rugby next year then playing a season up north then coming back to NZ rugby late 2013 early 2014 to make a drive for the 2015 world cup which I'm sure will become a major focus of his.

If these guys dont make it to 2015 then NZ does have options.

Obviously at 10 there is a huge amount of talent coming through, Cruden, Slade, Anscombe, Barrett, Sopoaga, Tyler Bleyendaal another player I think has All Black potential and can play 10-12 is Tom Taylor.

But of that bunch Cruden included for the the most exciting option is Beauden Barrett. The guy has freakish skills and good size, of this lot I honestly think he has the most potential.

At 7 there is an equally interesting amount of young Talented 7's I think spearheaded by these 4: Matt Todd, Luke Braid, Sam Cane and Sean Polwart. You would think that to continue his carrier McCaw should consider a move to 6 and I think that would be a good idea. As far as the All Blacks goes though that does create a problem because of the rise of Jerome Kaino who is arguably the best 6 in the world right now and I think in the running to be IRB player of the year this year.

As far as captain goes Kieran Read is a shoe in, that much is true.

there are options for other positions that are vacated too though as already stated hooker is going to be interesting. Behind Elliot there is Dane Coles, I think those two will come into the frame though beyond that it's hard to tell. The main 4 very strong Hookers in NZ will be too old come 2015: Mealamu, Hore, Flynn, Jason Rutledge

Robbie Fruen Looks to be the natural successor to Nonu. But the guy has a Pig Valve in his hart and is not likely to have a long carrier in rugby. He has admitted that he has been told that and because of that factor it may force him overseas to make Money while he still can.

Interesting times. I think I've said a number of times I'm really looking forward to next year because of all the change on offer and the young talent NZ has.

Last edited:
Obviously at 10 there is a huge amount of talent coming through, Cruden, Slade, Anscombe, Barrett, Sopoaga, Tyler Bleyendaal another player I think has All Black potential and can play 10-12 is Tom Taylor.

But of that bunch Cruden included for the the most exciting option is Beauden Barrett. The guy has freakish skills and good size, of this lot I honestly think he has the most potential.

there are options for other positions that are vacated too though as already stated hooker is going to be interesting. Behind Elliot there is Dane Coles, I think those two will come into the frame though beyond that it's hard to tell. The main 4 very strong Hookers in NZ will be too old come 2015: Mealamu, Hore, Flynn, Jason Rutledge

Robbie Fruen Looks to be the natural successor to Nonu. But the guy has a Pig Valve in his hart and is not likely to have a long carrier in rugby. He has admitted that he has been told that and because of that factor it may force him overseas to make Money while he still can.

Interesting times. I think I've said a number of times I'm really looking forward to next year because of all the change on offer and the young talent NZ has.

Elliot and Coles both need to sort their workrates out if they want to make the step up. Elliot's stats in the ITM cup were shocking. Against Manawatu he had something like 20 ball carry's and one tackle. Definition of being a seagull. Both have outstanding skills and speed for hookers but need to tighten up in a big way (I'm confident they can, looking forward to Elliot improving under Rennie at the Chiefs).

Fruean is a worry, everytime he makes a big run he looks knackered for the next 10minutes. Such a shame his health is affecting his career.

Personally I don't think Sopoaga or Bleyendaal will ever be more than Super 15 players, the others you mentioned all have the tools though I reckon.

Elliot and Coles both need to sort their workrates out if they want to make the step up. Elliot's stats in the ITM cup were shocking. Against Manawatu he had something like 20 ball carry's and one tackle. Definition of being a seagull. Both have outstanding skills and speed for hookers but need to tighten up in a big way (I'm confident they can, looking forward to Elliot improving under Rennie at the Chiefs).

Fruean is a worry, everytime he makes a big run he looks knackered for the next 10minutes. Such a shame his health is affecting his career.

Personally I don't think Sopoaga or Bleyendaal will ever be more than Super 15 players, the others you mentioned all have the tools though I reckon.

Like you I'm not yet convinced about Sopoaga - I actually think with his skill-set may be better suited at 12 (where he played for the under 20's). I actually think Bleyendaal has the potential to make the AB's in future though. Because he is from Canterbury he hasn't been given near as much exposure at ITM/Super Rugby level as many other young 10's, but he has all the skills, looks very composed, and is learning from the best (Carter). I expect he will get some game-time this Super Rugby season - it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Like you I'm not yet convinced about Sopoaga - I actually think with his skill-set may be better suited at 12 (where he played for the under 20's). I actually think Bleyendaal has the potential to make the AB's in future though. Because he is from Canterbury he hasn't been given near as much exposure at ITM/Super Rugby level as many other young 10's, but he has all the skills, looks very composed, and is learning from the best (Carter). I expect he will get some game-time this Super Rugby season - it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Sopoaga has a lot of rough edges, but he has the raw talent to get in the all blacks frame

Last edited by a moderator:
There is certainly no doubting Sopoaga's talent, I'm just not yet convinced he has the ability to control a game from first-five. I possibly haven't seen enough of him to make a fair judgement though. I'm sure time will tell.

I agree re: that list Sopoaga & Bleyendaal may be near the bottom as far as potential goes. But the Canterbury RU have spent a lot of time and money on Bleyendaal. they wouldn't have done that if they didn't believe he had the goods. He looked ok in his first ITM cup this year. Sopoaga has looked ok at super level any way you look at it it's impressive for a 20 year old. I think young guys that come in do well to start with but having to do it every weekend takes time to adjust to - that gets to them some times.

There is certainly no doubting Sopoaga's talent, I'm just not yet convinced he has the ability to control a game from first-five. I possibly haven't seen enough of him to make a fair judgement though. I'm sure time will tell.

I meant that he has the talent to control a game. If you could see that whole NZ schools match it really was a masterclass in first five play, pretty close to the perfect game. Obviously it was at a lower level, but he has shown that hes capable of doing it.

I meant that he has the talent to control a game. If you could see that whole NZ schools match it really was a masterclass in first five play, pretty close to the perfect game. Obviously it was at a lower level, but he has shown that hes capable of doing it.

No doubt he stood out at age grade level. He is pretty good for a young bloke already. ITM cup really exposed both he and Perenara's ability to control a game at a higher level though. Wellington were rudderless all season (which has often been the case with Wellington and the Hurricanes). Compare that to Aaron Smith and Aaron Cruden who are both young and fully ran the show for Manawatu. Will be interesting to see if the Wellington halves can improve to the same level as they get a year or two older and more experienced.

No doubt he stood out at age grade level. He is pretty good for a young bloke already. ITM cup really exposed both he and Perenara's ability to control a game at a higher level though. Wellington were rudderless all season (which has often been the case with Wellington and the Hurricanes). Compare that to Aaron Smith and Aaron Cruden who are both young and fully ran the show for Manawatu. Will be interesting to see if the Wellington halves can improve to the same level as they get a year or two older and more experienced.

Yeah definitely. I'm a huge fan of both Aarons, but Smith does have 4 years on Parenara, so its not really a fair comparison yet

Speaking of Aaron Smith.... I get the feeling that Jimmy Cowan may find his starting spot at the Highlanders under a bit of pressure from Smith this year. Cowan is still a great competitor and an exceptional defender but now that the Highlanders have a semi-competitive backline I feel that Smith's brilliant distribution game could be a real asset.

Latest posts