• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - Japan vs. South Africa

We played well. Second half was a bit scrappy, but still a strong performance. Japan never really looked like scoring, their only try was a silly pass back error by Frans Steyn.

Last ten minutes with a man down we scored two tries as well. Was a great game in terms of pressure defense on the line. Good prep for the tournament.

Japan had enough opportunities, but couldn't quite finish them off. One more try and I would have been happy with the result.

Big relief that they at least managed that one try, ugly as it was. Finishing on zero would have been embarrassing. Congrats to South Africa though, that was convincing.

Good prep as already mentioned.
Humidity much worse than Durban in February, forwards were soaked after 10 minutes, could see the props suffering.
Sublime play by both wingers, good forward defense and set piece dominance.
Handling not that bad for the conditions, I can see up and under galore in this world cup.

No serious injuries, first game done in local conditions, convincing win, mission accomplished

Good prep as already mentioned.
Humidity much worse than Durban in February, forwards were soaked after 10 minutes, could see the props suffering.
Sublime play by both wingers, good forward defense and set piece dominance.
Handling not that bad for the conditions, I can see up and under galore in this world cup.

No serious injuries, first game done in local conditions, convincing win, mission accomplished

Good to hear that. Will watch the game tonight on PVR.

I think we are the only team to play a game in local conditions before the tournament starts. That should be really handy.

Good to hear that. Will watch the game tonight on PVR.

I think we are the only team to play a game in local conditions before the tournament starts. That should be really handy.
This is what I am pleased about, being the only team to play a game on Japan soil prior to the RWC.

My only fear about this game were the injuries but we came through unscathed. I look forward to the England and NZ games now.

Mapimpi and Kolbe were spectacular in the game vs the Japs
No more chat please about Nkosi He can play vs mickey mouse teams - Canada & Namibia

Eben and Sous were also impressive with their lineout work and work around the park
Sous making a scramble tackle in 75th min having covered 40 metres is elite

Finally F Steyn won't be playing #10 vs Tier 1 teams He was KaK in his cameo
Blind panic pass which led to Japs only try and aimless kicks which just surrendered possession

Just to add that we didn't get through unscathed, Trevor Nyakane limped off which is a pretty huge loss if serious. Hopefully it wasn't serious.

Enjoyed the game, we play very basic rugby under Rassie but if it gets more winger tries like today I'm all for it.

Edit: F Steyn sucks, bring in Bosch.

Just to add that we didn't get through unscathed, Trevor Nyakane limped off which is a pretty huge loss. Hopefully it wasn't serious.

Enjoyed the game, we play very basic rugby under Rassie but if it gets more winger tries like today I'm all for it.

Edit: F Steyn sucks, bring in Bosch.

Steyn was garbage at #10 ending any Okes asking for him playing vs Tier 1 teams
At best he'll be #23 competing with Jesse Kriel for that spot

Elton Jantjes is still a very important member of Boks RWC Squad & offers alot to the team

Willemse would be well ahead of Bosch
Bosch needs another season to establish himself
Cockroach Rob du Preez Snr put back his progress

Last edited:
Good game overall for the Boks. Japan were valiant and they did show some good dog **** particularly at the start of the second half, but they were cheaply undone with interceptions and carelessness. Worrying though for SA is the enormous amount of penalties they conceded. They should know the rules of the game by now at this level.

It's been a while since I've seen the Boks keeping themselves in 1st gear on purpose. They just did what they needed to. Looked greasier than a sumo wrestler's armpit out there.
Good first hit out in those conditions and since no injuries came from it (I think Trevor just tweaked a knee) it was a good move by Rassie

Good game overall for the Boks. Japan were valiant and they did show some good dog **** particularly at the start of the second half, but they were cheaply undone with interceptions and carelessness. Worrying though for SA is the enormous amount of penalties they conceded. They should know the rules of the game by now at this level.
Boks only conceded 8 penalties vs Japan's 7? I think a couple unnecessary one's were conceded because they knew Japan weren't taking the 3 points and they backed their defense

Boks only conceded 8 penalties vs Japan's 7? I think a couple unnecessary one's were conceded because they knew Japan weren't taking the 3 points and they backed their defense
I thought SA gave away at least 10 pens, but anyway 8 is still very bad including a sin binning. A team like NZ would punish 8 penalties with 25+ points on the board. Discipline remains an issue for the Boks.

Nyakane, Mnonambi and Beast are my current form front 3. I actually think 30 mins of Marx on a tiring 2nd half team would be more effective.

Not a total surprise scoreline but Japan left a few points out there.

On a total side note though, I was really stoked by the crowd going into a WC!
So while the SA anthem was being sung you could see Japanese people in the crowd trying to sing along reading the words off the back of small paper SA flags. I'm assuming they were provided by the venue. Also there were loads of Japanese people wearing SA jerseys I guess they bought before the game. I think their culture is going to be perfect as a neutral venue. I can't wait!

Not a total surprise scoreline but Japan left a few points out there.

On a total side note though, I was really stoked by the crowd going into a WC!
So while the SA anthem was being sung you could see Japanese people in the crowd trying to sing along reading the words off the back of small paper SA flags. I'm assuming they were provided by the venue. Also there were loads of Japanese people wearing SA jerseys I guess they bought before the game. I think their culture is going to be perfect as a neutral venue. I can't wait!

That has actually been something of a trend since the Boks arrived in Japan. With some of their training sessions, the public was allowed to attend. And sometimes there were like 2000 japanese fans in the stands, and everytime, before the Boks would start their training, the crowd would sing the national anthem:

The first time the Boks scored they played an Afrikaans lianie May song then the second time they played Raak vir my rustig from Snotkop. And more Afrikaans songs followed. I liked this, but also laughed at the fact that they play more afrikaans songs these days during rugby matches in Japan than they do in South Africa. The Japanese did not get the memo that SA rugby does not want to associate itself with Afrikaans anymore.

The first time the Boks scored they played an Afrikaans lianie May song then the second time they played Raak vir my rustig from Snotkop. And more Afrikaans songs followed. I liked this, but also laughed at the fact that they play more afrikaans songs these days during rugby matches in Japan than they do in South Africa. The Japanese did not get the memo that SA rugby does not want to associate itself with Afrikaans anymore.

Haha, I had a laugh too! Especially when they played Robbie Wessels' chicken song...

But I've been thinking that the guys playing in Japan, are all mostly Afrikaans guys, and maybe they've given them some of our Afrikaans artists and songs which are popular.

Latest posts