• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Australia vs Fiji (17/09/2023)

Can't believe we talking Carley here, Fiji had their chances and didn't take them v Wales. They did today and held on. Brace definitely had more significant errors today yet Fiji still managed to get the dub. Should be celebrating.

Wales v Australia is massive now. Shame Fiji didn't deny that losing bonus point though. Crucial.

Big decision going against Australia at the end there so crucial time. Pretty surprised the No arm shoulder charge by the Fijian 15 didnt get picked up but Fiji were good value for the win. Congrats. Was hoping they'd nail that pen to stop Oz getting the losing bonus point. Group nicely poised.

Fiji are the best team in this group they are through imo and this cemented that. If we can some how scrape a win against the Aussies we should go through however I'm am not doscounting Georgia pulling another upset against us looking at that Portugal game yesterday

BPs against Georgia and Portugal now crucial too. Wales luckily scrapping one against Portugal must be a relief now.

Fiji are the best team in this group they are through imo and this cemented that. If we can some how scrape a win against the Aussies we should go through however I'm am not doscounting Georgia pulling another upset against us looking at that Portugal game yesterday
To be honest, at this point, I'm just as worried about Georgia as I am Australia. If not more so.

My sensationally horrible prediction was based on Fiji having no kicker. Their scrum half aced it, although the whole team seemed filled with nerves after he went off injured and Lamani missed his first penalty. Combine that with the lineout malfunctions and Fiji were begging to be beaten here. A performance a bit below their recent ones against France, England and Wales.

The Fijian defence and breakdown work were outstanding but jings, what has EJ done to those Aussie backs? Is Kerevi even fit? The whole team was pretty much AWOL for 50mins. Horrific performance and bad discipline.

Great for the tournament that Fiji aren't eliminated after round 2. This group will be chaos if Aussies beat Wales given Fiji got 2 BPs against Wales. Georgia and even Portugal may still be spoilers against top 3 in group. Lovely.

To be honest, at this point, I'm just as worried about Georgia as I am Australia. If not more so.
Will need to see how the Portuguese do next time out but Georgia game might go down to the wire in all honesty and we know what Australia v Wales is like always goes down to a rizla paper normally with them getting the edge.

Will need to see how the Portuguese do next time out but Georgia game might go down to the wire in all honesty and we know what Australia v Wales is like always goes down to a rizla paper normally with them getting the edge.
Georgia can beat Fiji as well which people don't seem to be considering.

Georgia can beat Fiji as well which people don't seem to be considering.
They could do but I see a complete Fiji team here with a solid set piece and intelligent gameplan I still think Fiji will run out winners in that one. I think Fiji have turned a corner after this result I just don't see them not qualifying

Brilliant game, thoroughly enjoyed it and loved watching an Eddie jones side get beaten by Fiji.

Eddie being a but magnanimous in defeat there.

Trying not to show too much schadenfreude, Tupu and Skelton were huge losses, you don't really want Slipper starting at tighthead. Crazy Eddie selections only has himself to blame, Gordon was obviously hooked, Donaldson seemed to do doing a lot of the talking once Poreki went off and he's not exactly a test veteran. Leaving Hooper at home was always a mistake if you're an Aus fan.

Eddie will be able to say he played the kids and it was a shot to nothing if they don't qualify.

Main thing I'd be worried about with Fiji progressing is a better side will make them pay if the replacements can throw a line out ball or kick from the tee.

They could do but I see a complete Fiji team here with a solid set piece and intelligent gameplan I still think Fiji will run out winners in that one. I think Fiji have turned a corner after this result I just don't see them not qualifying
Fiji's line out was pretty bad though. Still, like you, I'd bet Fiji to beat Georgia but definitely not a foregone conclusion.