• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA Rebuilding

saffer

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Sharks
So we have been dumped out of the world cup and the fairytale ending for the senior players did not materialise. Smit, Matfield, Du Preez, CJ van De Linde, Bakkies, Danie Rousouw, Pieter De Villiers are all gone.

With this in mind, A new era of Springbok rugby is about to unfold. Who are the stars of the future? Who will become the new coach? Will we finally see the Springboks, consistantly, play running rugby?

Although the senior players are gone, I firmly believe there is still enough experience within the squad to carry us forward. Frans Steyn, Bismarck, Janie, Juan Smith, Schalk Burger, Heinrich Brusouw, Jaque Fourie and JP Pieterson will have another World cup in them.

Along with them we have the youth of Lambie, Hougie, Aplon, Juan De Jongh to name but a few who will be our future.

WRT the coach, I would love to see someone like Heinake Meyer take the reins or Alister Coetzee.

Running Rugby? I doubt it, Our culture and mentality needs to change right from grass roots level and that won't happen overnight.

What do you lot think?

there can be 50 threads on SA rugby's future and I'll comment in each one LOL.

Agreed on most of those players having another WC in them but we shouldn't be precious about them and should constantly assess form IMO. Aplon isn't young. Allister Coetzee I respect but he's not the man for the job. Good CC/S15 coach but not up to scratch. Of the SA options I'd be most pleased with either Heynecke Meyer or Brendan Venter (with help handling the media LOL) though i'd strongly urge John Mitchell if he (and the Lions) were to make himself available though I think he might want to carry on with what he has started at the Lions.

Guys that should form the backbone of the team for the next 2 years IMO;

1 Tendai Mtawarira
2 Bismarck du Plessis
5 Andries Bekker
6 Heinrich Brussow
7 Schalk Burger / Juan Smith (c) either but not both IMO
9 Francois Hougaard
12 Francois Steyn
13 Jaque Fourie
15 Pat Lambie

The rest for me are up for grabs and players that I have a lot of time for (but who might not make it to RWC 2015) and/or young guys with a lot of promise:

1 Dean Greyling
3 Coenie Oosthuizen
4 Gerhard Mostert / Devon Raubenheimer* / Willem Alberts* / Flip van der Merwe / Rynhardt Elstadt
7 Jean Deysel / Jacques Potgieter
8 Willem Alberts* / Duane Vermeulen / Devon Raubenheimer*
9 Dewaldt Duvenhage / Piet van Zyl
10 Johan Goosen / Sias Ebersohn
11 Lionel Mapoe / Lwazi Mvovo / Sibusiso Sithole
12 Juan de Jongh*
13 Juan de Jongh*
14 Gio Aplon / Bjorn Basson / JP Pietersen
15 Jaco Taute

*appears more than once

These are all guys with S15 and/or CC experience and I'm sure over the next two years a lot of youngsters will be putting up their hands.

Last edited:
NO!!! I wrote a whole story about picking John Mitchell as the new Springbok coach, have players like Taute, Goosen, Deysel, Greyling, van der Merwe, Sithole, Vermeulen, Elstadt and Mostert in the Bok squad, turns out stormer2010 wrote the exact same thing!

What's the use in writing your opinion when someone else forms the exact same one?

Okay, I still hope Kanko gets a chance, but that's my weak spot haha

NO!!! I wrote a whole story about picking John Mitchell as the new Springbok coach, have players like Taute, Goosen, Deysel, Greyling, van der Merwe, Sithole, Vermeulen, Elstadt and Mostert in the Bok squad, turns out stormer2010 wrote the exact same thing!

What's the use in writing your opinion when someone else forms the exact same one?

Haha, well i think those guys are a given for the Boks and most bok-fans on this site will have them in their team for the future. But I have to pick Duane Vermeulen ahead of Kankowski... Duane is just better at the rucks...

PS. Did you guys know that Duane Vermeulen and Jean Deysel was in the same University hostel at UJ and played against Willem Alberts who was in their rival Hostel?

LOL, we're agreed on everything except Kanko then. I have to admit it was hard for me to leave out my weak spot as well; Riaan Viljoen.

BTW, sexy sig ;P

Haha, well i think those guys are a given for the Boks and most bok-fans on this site will have them in their team for the future. But I have to pick Duane Vermeulen ahead of Kankowski... Duane is just better at the rucks...

PS. Did you guys know that Duane Vermeulen and Jean Deysel was in the same University hostel at UJ and played against Willem Alberts who was in their rival Hostel?

I did not know that. Quite interesting LOL. Yeah, I think the future players are more obvious than the next coach. Just a question of being able to make the hard/right decisions and getting a dedicated skills coach on board as well IMO; too many times have shitty handling cost us.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/Fourie-to-join-Japan-exodus-20111011

Jaque Fourie possibly to join the Japanese exodus. Possibly in a similar fashion as Peter Grant... While I can't fault players who want to line the pockets I have to admit that as a WP fan it just feels a bit itchy on my back.. wouldn't mind at all to see the back of Grant and if Fourie is also set to split his loyalties...

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/Three-favourites-for-Bok-coach-20111010

This is a worrying article; it claims 'reliable sources' have the front runners for the top job as Coetzee, Erasmus and Gert Smal with Paul Treu as backline coach. Because it makes sense to have someone from a totally different sport (rugby 7's) get onboard as your backs coach in Idiotland.. and sadly that is where we live..

Gert Smal I have a lot of time for though. But I would have been more confident if he had achieved his sucess as a head coach rather than just forwards coach.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/NZ-coach-might-lift-Bok-game-20111011

Speaking my language..

Rumors are the coaches on the shortlist are Allister Coetzee, Rassie Erasmus and Gert Smal with Paul Treu as a possible backline coach. Really interesting, if it's indeed true than I have no doubt Coetzee will get the job. Not the ideal man perhaps, but miles ahead of Pdiv. (Then again he did continue starting Naqluevieakesakuvuki and Januarie in the Super14...)

Can't wait to see the new generation of Bok players that's going to be coming in. Should be awesome.

I love AC but that's WP bias; he is not the man for the job. A helluva lot better than PdV bu still not the best we can get. Foktog, SA!

Hmmm... First Oregon Hoskins become President, then PDV becomes head Coach, then Paul Treu becomes 7's coach....

Now it sounds like they want Allistair Coetzee, with Paul Treu at the helm and the government talking about quotas and so on again...

I see a trend here... maybe just a conspiracy theory, but don't be surprized if guys like Earl Rose, Bolla Conradie, Hilton Lobberts and Puke Twatson are in the future bok-team...

Naqelevuki was the Stormers star player, they're just bitter he left :D

To be fair to Naqelevuki he wasn't terrible at the Stormers and we were quite fond of him (although he always looked terribly lazy) up to a point.. a very important point LOL. Needless to say that point(s) went against us.

Eh, I think we can do better than Mallett. It's difficult to say; it's like comparing apples and oranges; test coaches vs club/provincial coaches vs coaches that havn't been active for 4 years vs assistant coaches and apparently even 7's coaches. As an average fan with access to limited info I can't say Mallett's tenure at the Azzuri fills me with excitement.

Last edited:
Hmmm... First Oregon Hoskins become President, then PDV becomes head Coach, then Paul Treu becomes 7's coach....

Now it sounds like they want Allistair Coetzee, with Paul Treu at the helm and the government talking about quotas and so on again...

I see a trend here... maybe just a conspiracy theory, but don't be surprized if guys like Earl Rose, Bolla Conradie, Hilton Lobberts and Puke Twatson are in the future bok-team...

There'll be blood in the streets.

Bolla Conradie- From Boland Kavaliers reserves to Bok first choice 9?

Even the ANC bigwigs would shudder at the thought.

Naqelevuki is doing very well in England with Exeter playing centre, was he not so good for Stormers?

He was a hidden agent for the Bulls... whenever he played against the Bulls, the WP/Stormers would lose... reminds me of that Currie Cup Semi Final where the WP was in front till the 79 minute when Naqelivuki came and made a high tackle on Ndungane or someone... then Steyn kicked the penalty over from 55m out to win the game...

Bloody agent! You *******! ;)

Haha oh snap Heineken that would be pretty bad.

9. Conradie
10. Earl Doos, I mean Rose, wait no I think I mean Doos.

With Puke as captain. *shudder*

Speaking of Captain, who do you guys reckon will be our next Captain? Schalk?

I have no clue who the next captain will be. Considering Jean de Villiers won't be a regular starter, he is no option. Burger is ahead of Smith for blindside-flanker and I don't see Bismarck du Plessis handling our team as a leader.

Burger is not a good option with his less than proper history. Bekker maybe?

Bekker could work if he recovers from injury and is back on form. I don't think Fourie is going to stay with SA, rumors are he's going to Japan, and I wouldn't want Spies anywhere near our team.

I feel for Spies though, missed out the first RWC when he was the top no.8 because of his health, and now out in the quarters. Apparently he is a great guy.

It wouldn't surprise me if politics made Chiliboy is captain and Bismarck has to spend another four years on the bench again for a stupid reason

the captain MUST be a guaranteed starter, so if in doubt just pick the best player, maybe Brüssow could be captain?

there is still a lack of clarity over the availability of some players, for example will Steenkamp and Bakkies still be available whilst playing in France like Steyn is?

Everybody seems to be very sure that Hougaard will slot in easily at 9, but he has hardly played at 9 due to du Preez

Latest posts