• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA Rebuilding

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5764482/Peter-De-Villiers-backtracks-on-retirement-talk

P
Divvy saying he hasn't resigned.
Maybe you could keep him on as coach and Matfield can take over the captains role.
No major changes to the team with most of the current squad sticking around for the next world cup.:D

Now before you all bite my head off, I jest, I jest.

Have seen some people dropping Frans Steyn from there team and aren't sure why.
He looked good at 12 in the world cup and at only 24 years old will only be 28 next time (younger than Carter is now).
Personally I don't think 28 is too old and he could still be playing great rugby then.
Also while you guys need new blood I'd keep some of the older heads in the squad as part of a leadership group to help the young players grow into their roles.

I don't think starting from scratch is the way to go. We need at least some experience. Bekker, Burger, F. Steyn, Bismarck du Plessis, JP Pietersen and maybe Jaque Fourie (if he is still available by then) are the guys with the experience we need. With young guys like de Jongh, Lambie, Taute, Brüssow (not that old yet) and Goosen we will have the perfect mix of old and young.

Good thing is that the older guys will still be hungry for success since they won't be lazy veterans with no need to perform.

He should have never gone out of his way to get Smit back to SA. He was happy in Clermont and everybody was happy with that (exept for the Clermont-fans of course)

According to various news24 reports (on the coach situation);

- PdV will step down at the end of the year

- a decision on the new coach will only be made in 2012

- according to Matfield Heynecke Meyer isn't interested in the job and..

- SA isn't 'ready' for a foreign coach

- front runners for the head coach role are Allister Coetzee, Gert Smal and Rassie Erasmus

- though I've heard Erasmus wants to stay on at WP/Stormers

- Jake White has said he would like to coach the Bokke again but only after 2015

- Nick Mallett is apparently not interested

- apparently Paul Treu is in the mix for backs coach though I'd assume the head coach would make the assistant appointments?

I'm not sure how much of this I believe or how much of my disbelief is because of my dread of the direction we're (seemingly) taking..

Last edited:
Lol, well bravo to everyone for keeping us here in a panic station and had to wait in anticipation until next year whenever!!

All these reports are just to keep the public on our tippy-toes and to keep our minds flowing with weird ideas and so on until they eventually pick the guys and we all go "Aaaaahhhhh, now why didn't I thought of that??". Making them look like genuisses!

all that we can do now is speculate!

btw, I heard Francois Pienaar, Frik Du Preez, Gysie Pienaar and Rob Louw also handed in their CV's for the job... pffffft!

Lol, well bravo to everyone for keeping us here in a panic station and had to wait in anticipation until next year whenever!!

All these reports are just to keep the public on our tippy-toes and to keep our minds flowing with weird ideas and so on until they eventually pick the guys and we all go "Aaaaahhhhh, now why didn't I thought of that??". Making them look like genuisses!

all that we can do now is speculate!

btw, I heard Francois Pienaar, Frik Du Preez, Gysie Pienaar and Rob Louw also handed in their CV's for the job... pffffft!

LOL, with 0 coaching experience apart from maybe their laaities' schools teams.

True, there are tons of guys that can come from left field and everything is speculation of course. Even any of Dawie Theron, Frans Ludeke, Naka Drotske, Hawies Fourie, Alan Soloman, Oersond Gorgonzola, Mathew Proudfoot, Hawies Fourie, Dick Muir or Gary Gold could end up tops and I'm sure there are a million more. We might even end up with Bra Julius; this is SA after all.

True, there are tons of guys that can come from left field and everything is speculation of course. Even any of Dawie Theron, Frans Ludeke, Naka Drotske, Hawies Fourie, Alan Soloman, Oersond Gorgonzola, Mathew Proudfoot, Hawies Fourie, Dick Muir or Gary Gold could end up tops and I'm sure there are a million more. We might even end up with Bra Julius; this is SA after all.

Is that just a typo or are you subliminally trying to let us think of Hawies Fourie to get the coaching job??

does bra Julius even know what rugby is? if he had to write it down, it would come out something like Rakbie/Rakby/Rugbie... lol...

For all we know now that Victor has retired, he could send in his CV too??

Hawies Fourie No, I've heard Vic is likely to Hawies Fourie feature on Super Sport. Julius probably wouldn't take the job even if it gave him Hawies Fourie chance to further raise Afrikaner blood pressures because he'd have to deal with too many bloody agents. Hawies Fourie

Hawies Fourie No, I've heard Vic is likely to Hawies Fourie feature on Super Sport. Julius probably wouldn't take the job even if it gave him Hawies Fourie chance to further raise Afrikaner blood pressures because he'd have to deal with too many bloody agents. Hawies Fourie

Bwhahahaha!! I had to put my glasses on to see those light spaces between sentences...

According to a News24 poll the SA public want:

19% - Heynecke Meyer
18% - Rassie Erasmus
18% - John Mitchell
13% - Allister Coetzee
12% - Jake White
5% - Eddie Jones
4% - Nick Mallett
4% - Brendan Venter
other 7% - John Plumtree, Dick Muir, Gert Smal, Naka Drotske, Chester Williams, Frans Ludeke and Paul Treu

I have to admit I wouldn't be too fussed if any of the top 3 get the job.

Mitchell has announced that he'll be seeing out his contract with the Lions T_T

That sucks. I expected him to take the job. Guess it will be AC then

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Mitchell has announced that he'll be seeing out his contract with the Lions T_T

I don't want to say I told you so, but...

So Jake White and John Mitchell is out of the running...

that leaves us with Hawies Foure, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Allistair Coetzee, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, John Plumtree, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Gert Smal, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Dick Muir, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer and Paul Treu

That sucks. I expected him to take the job. Guess it will be AC then

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Though I like him as a person, I'd rather have Rassie Erasmus. AC really has done nothing and if you look at timing; Springboks look awful with AC as backs coach, enter Eddie Jones and we look a lot better and even manage tow in a WC and Stormers are looking off the boil, enter Rassie and we start to at least manage reaching play-offs....

I don't want to say I told you so, but...

So Jake White and John Mitchell is out of the running...

that leaves us with Hawies Foure, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Allistair Coetzee, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, John Plumtree, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Gert Smal, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Dick Muir, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer, Heyneke Meyer and Paul Treu
Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer Heyneke Meyer

I would like to see a coach that doesn't waste talent (Lambie, Goosen, Taute, Deysel, Elstadt, Vermeulen, Bismarck du Plessis, Sithole, Cronje, Sadie, Engelbrecht, Koster) and is not afraid to take the time and build from scratch. This is why I would like to see Nick Mallett as our new head coach. He did a wonderful job turning the Azzuri in a team full of TOP14 players and having some major upsets in the Six Nations. He knows how to push talents to and get the full potential out of them.

He is a lot older than he was the first time around and has learned a lot since then. I know he is not interested but the above mentioned reason is why I would prefer him over guys like Muir, Treu, Hawies and Smal.

We really need a coach who focuses on the backline. To be honest, our forward pack gets enough done by themselves already. Guys like Mtawarira, Bismarck, Bekker, Alberts, Burger, Brussow and Vermeulen already dominate the scrums on Super15 level so getting together will automatically give them the edge. From there we need a fly-half WITH vision rather than without (like we have now) so our backline can be used more than once during a match.

It's a shame if de Jongh, Taute, Goosen, Lambie and others would suffocate in a same matter as Fourie, de Villiers, Hougaard, Aplon and F. Steyn recently.

The main thing, IMO, is to give Riaan Viljoen a fair shot at being SA flyhalf. I know you guys will ridicule me for that, but he's playing flyhalf against the Cheetahs this weekend, so be sure to watch the Griquas vs Cheetahs match.

Sarel Pretorius has to be the Bok scrumhalf now.

Hougaard and Aplon should be the wings while de Jongh and Lambie need to be very much in the mix somewhere.

Jaco Taute and Johan Saadie are also very promising for the future.

The Lions' Franco van der Merwe is a seriously under-rated lock. He's solid as a rock in the line-outs and is very versatile. Rather him then the walking red-card Flip.

I don't think I need to mention the flankers, as almost every loose forward playing Super Rugby for this country is pretty good.

Don't get too carried away about Bismarck, guys. He's without doubt our best hooker ATM, but don't forget that he's very patchy. Meaning, he'll go through long periods of playing poorly, and he desperately needs to address his discipline and line-out throwing issues. Other hookers I rate are Schalk Brits, Adriaan Strauss, Gary Botha and Deon Fourie.

A team in a year or two for me would be something like:

1. Oosthuizen
2. du Plessis
3. Steenkamp (he can play tighthead just fine!)
4. Alberts
5. Bekker
6. Brussow
7. Burger (C)
8. Smith (That's right. Smith at 8! We need all three of these guys in the team, and this is the only way)
9. Pretorius
10. Viljoen
11. Hougaard
12. de Villiers
13. Fourie
14. Aplon
15. Steyn
16. Brits
17. WP Nel (Sorry, I detest Beast and Jannie)
18. Mostert (I don't care if he's overseas now)
19. Louw
20. Grant (Hougaard covering SH)
21. de Jongh
22. Lambie

others in the mix:
Deysel
Johnson
Dewaldt Potgieter
Jano Vermaak
Saadie

A decent amount of members here have advocated Viljoen in the side, just not at 10.
He is a natural fullback and will hopefully get a shot with the Boks next season.

01 Steenkamp
02 du Plessis
03 du Plessis
04 Bekker
05 van der Merwe/Mostert
06 Brussow
07 Smith
08 Vermeulen

09 Hougaard
10 Lambie
11 Aplon
12 Steyn
13 de Jongh
14 Pietersen
15 Viljoen

16 Liebenberg/Fourie
17 Nel/Oosthuizen
18 Mostert/Bresler (if he opts for the boks)
19 Alberts/Burger
20 Pretorius
21 Grant
22 de Villiers

Latest posts