• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok Rugby Championship Squad

I'd keep Elton in the starting line-up, for the sake of consistency, and to see if that final match's jitters are out of his sytem. if not, then yank him off

That's one way of keeping him calm I guess... :mellow:

Lol.

Not going to ask why you thought of it like that.

Just hope they don't yank him of prematurely

My mind is like a medieval river - gigantic, ever-moving, and an open sewer.

Back to the topic - what team are youse guys expecting to see?

My mind is like a medieval river - gigantic, ever-moving, and an open sewer.

Back to the topic - what team are youse guys expecting to see?

Well, all things considered, I think the matchday 23 for Saturday will look like this:

1. Beast Mtawarira
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. Julian Redelinghuys
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Pieter Steph Du Toit
6. Francois Louw
7. Teboho Mohoje
8. Warren Whiteley
9. Faf De Klerk
10. Elton Jantjies
11. Bryan Habana
12. Damian De Allende
13. Lionel Mapoe
14. Ruan Combrink
15. Jesse Kriel

16. Steven Kitshoff
17. Bongi Mbonambi
18. Vincent Koch
19. Lood De Jager
20. Jaco Kriel
21. Rudy Paige
22. Johan Goosen
23. Lwazi Mvovo

Apparently the team has been training like this:
1. Beast
2. Strauss
3. Redelinghuys
4. Etzebeth
5. de Jager
6. Flouw
7. Mohoje
8. Whiteley
9. de Klerk
10. Jatjies
11. Habana
12. de Allende
13. Mapoe
14. Combrink
15. Goosen

Not 100% confirmed but according to some of my friends in rugby journalism, the obvious talking points are:
- No Jaco Kriel and Mohoje being in the team at all (I did say there was a chance that Kriel would lose out if experience and quota were an issue)
- Goosen at 15 (I'm actually fairly happy with this)
- Habana back (probably our best option honestly)
- PsdT out (I hope he's just being rested but honestly Lood is still great)
- Malherbe out (probably fair on form)

On balance the backs look good, I really hope our centre pairing can gel, otherwise it has the potential to be very dangerous. Our pack isn't 100% but it's not to bad considering the constraints the coach may be operating under.

Apparently the team has been training like this:
1. Beast
2. Strauss
3. Redelinghuys
4. Etzebeth
5. de Jager
6. Flouw
7. Mohoje
8. Whiteley
9. de Klerk
10. Jatjies
11. Habana
12. de Allende
13. Mapoe
14. Combrink
15. Goosen

Not 100% confirmed but according to some of my friends in rugby journalism, the obvious talking points are:
- No Jaco Kriel and Mohoje being in the team at all (I did say there was a chance that Kriel would lose out if experience and quota were an issue)
- Goosen at 15 (I'm actually fairly happy with this)
- Habana back (probably our best option honestly)
- PsdT out (I hope he's just being rested but honestly Lood is still great)
- Malherbe out (probably fair on form)

On balance the backs look good, I really hope our centre pairing can gel, otherwise it has the potential to be very dangerous. Our pack isn't 100% but it's not to bad considering the constraints the coach may be operating under.

I wouldn't have a problem with that team either.

With Goosen, Combrink and Elton, we will have enough kicking power at the back.

It's perhaps a good idea to rest guys like PSDT and Jaco Kriel for the games against NZ and Australia where the intensity might be higher, whereas against Argentina it's more about physical dominance. One thing is for sure, if we start with that pack you mentioned, we will be very heavy at scrum time...

I wouldn't have a problem with that team either.

With Goosen, Combrink and Elton, we will have enough kicking power at the back.

It's perhaps a good idea to rest guys like PSDT and Jaco Kriel for the games against NZ and Australia where the intensity might be higher, whereas against Argentina it's more about physical dominance. One thing is for sure, if we start with that pack you mentioned, we will be very heavy at scrum time...

NO NO NO !

Resting PSDT and Jaco Kriel is like yawn in the morning. Why do these guys need rest? SR final was played 3 weeks ago! And if Mohoje is starting because of political numbers then he should want to protest like Charl Langeveldt did for Proteas !

Oupa wasn't even a regular for the Cheetahs and no arguing Notshe, JL Du Preez or even Ruan Ackerman are better than him & younger.

I just feel something needs to be done about the political interference on our national side. A petition to world rugby perhaps FROM THE PUBLIC. In spite of FIFA's scandals, they would've been 1st to intervene if one of their top 3 nations' quality were being hampered by politics as it is done with rugby IN SOUTH AFRICA.

i love habana, but he's 33. how has no other south african wing replaced him?

NO NO NO !

Resting PSDT and Jaco Kriel is like yawn in the morning. Why do these guys need rest? SR final was played 3 weeks ago! And if Mohoje is starting because of political numbers then he should want to protest like Charl Langeveldt did for Proteas !

Oupa wasn't even a regular for the Cheetahs and no arguing Notshe, JL Du Preez or even Ruan Ackerman are better than him & younger.

I just feel something needs to be done about the political interference on our national side. A petition to world rugby perhaps FROM THE PUBLIC. In spite of FIFA's scandals, they would've been 1st to intervene if one of their top 3 nations' quality were being hampered by politics as it is done with rugby IN SOUTH AFRICA.

Oupa wasn't a regular for the Cheetahs because he was injured for the most part of the tournament, plus Oupa is a Blindside flanker, whereas Jaco is an openside flanker (in my view). If it was up to me, I'd pick Jannes Kirsten ahead of Mohoje, for the blindside flank position. Jaco unfortunately has to compete with Francois Louw, but Jaco will get his chance.

i love habana, but he's 33. how has no other south african wing replaced him?

Well, Habana is still world class, so why not pick him? Age is not a hurdle for a player of Habana's caliber.

As for other wingers, we have a lot of wingers that can replace him:

Seabelo Senatla (unfortunately injured his wrist at the Rio Olympics)
Lwazi Mvovo (Was Habana's stand-in replacement during the Irish series)
Raymond Rhule (Cheetahs winger, just not that good on defence as Habana)
Sergeal Pietersen (Cheetahs winger, but has a lot of injury problems)
Jamba Ulengo (Bulls winger, still very young, good prospect for the future)
Travis Ismaiel (Bulls Winger, injury problems)
Cheslin Kolbe (Was also at Rio, maybe a future selection)
Courtnall Skosan (Lions winger, also a bit of a problem on defence)

Then we also have JP Pietersen and Ruan Combrink with JP bieng given a rest and Combrink in the squad, who will in all likelihood play on the other wing.

I see Lwazi Mvovo and Sikhumbuzo Notshe has been sent back to their local unions to play Currie Cup. Seems like AC is looking at only guys who are on form.

Flo can play on both sides - Kriel should be able to slot in easily alongside Whiteley at 8 in what would be a formidable backrow combo.

Great, so we lose a lot of physicality on both attack and defense with both Duane & Siya out and in comes Oupa who can't impose physicality (at all), no reputation of being effective to playing to the ball (even if he will be mandated) or in no means can be considered a ball carrier, except for being another line-out option. Go figure !

All those wingers are not of the same caliber as the likes of JP & Ruan in that they are too 1-dimensional. Maybe Cornal Hendricks, but who knows when he will come back. Hopefully the experience Bjorn Basson is gaining at fullback will make him more versatile and smarter as an outside back. And im glad Mvovo has been sent (packing).

Flo can play on both sides - Kriel should be able to slot in easily alongside Whiteley at 8 in what would be a formidable backrow combo.

Great, so we lose a lot of physicality on both attack and defense with both Duane & Siya out and in comes Oupa who can't impose physicality (at all), no reputation of being effective to playing to the ball (even if he will be mandated) or in no means can be considered a ball carrier, except for being another line-out option. Go figure !

All those wingers are not of the same caliber as the likes of JP & Ruan in that they are too 1-dimensional. Maybe Cornal Hendricks, but who knows when he will come back. Hopefully the experience Bjorn Basson is gaining at fullback will make him more versatile and smarter as an outside back. And im glad Mvovo has been sent (packing).

It's obvious that you don't like Mohoje. But IMHO he's more physical than Kolisi, and he's a better defender than Kolisi. In a perfect world I'd have Kriel, Flouw and Whiteley as our loose trio, but I'm not the coach, so I'll have to accept whatever team is picked.

I am a Bulls fan, and I like Basson, but apart from his dominance in the air, he's a but of a no show everywhere else on the field. His tackling has always been suspect, and he's not the type of winger that looks for work. Ulengo or Pietersen would then be a much better option, and their physicality would also be a great addition.

Mohoje, hey. Him ahead of.. actually so many players and if Page is ahead of Hougaard (as I am expecting) it just has me scratching my head and thinking quotas.

Just very frustrating. We have enough against us ITO the player exodus and having a new coaching staff (also quotas? Certainly Paul Treu and Mzwandile Stick have no business being there) that we don't need to be shooting ourselves in the foot by not fielding our best players. Hope Kriel is at least on the bench.

As for Habana, I am happy enough for him to be there even if he isn't 2007 Habana anymore. I am also slightly concerned with our apparent lack of class on the wing. We have a few speedy finishers but not really many rounded wingers. I'd almost say Skosan is my pick beyond the obvious choices (Combrinck, Habana and JPP). We probably won't see another white winger with Combrinck there. There was enough of a stink last year when Meyer fielded Jesse Kriel at 14 out of position rather than a black winger. Mvovo really got exposed against Ireland. He needs to sort that out his game under the high ball first. Senatla will only next year be involved agan with XVs. Other than that I think we could seriously consider bringing in someone out of position and seeing hw they go. Rohan Janse van Rensburg could bring some power to a position where we've gone for outright pace. Hougaard has always done good on the wings and brings a more rounded skillset. Warrick Gelant is a possible long term option for both wing or fullback but he needs to stay fit and actually get some SR games under the belt first. De Allende made his breakthough on the wing. Maybe put him back there seeing as we have options at 12 and the backline might fare better without him being a doorstop between Jantjies and Mapoe.

Not looking to get anyone's back up but I'd read that the quota was for seven non-white players in the 23. Is there actually a quota for how many should be in the starting XV?

The possible team mentioned above has 6 non white starters, 5 South Africans and 1 Zimbabwean. So we're covered.

Not looking to get anyone's back up but I'd read that the quota was for seven non-white players in the 23. Is there actually a quota for how many should be in the starting XV?

No there's no rule on how many must start or how many must be on the bench, it just states that there must be 7 non-white players in the squad as a target for 2019, of which 2 must be traditional black african players. So the possibility is there that the Srpingboks can start with an all white XV and have 7 non-white players on the bench. But to keep the politicians happy, we make sure that there is a coloured player on the field at all times.

Which brings me back to Mohoje, he and Mbonambi are the only 2 traditional black african players left in the squad if we leave out beast, so they are automatically ensured a place in the matchday 23. And to fill the gaps of the other 5 spots, Beast, Habana, Mapoe, Paige and Jantjies will surely take those spots.

It's obvious that you don't like Mohoje. But IMHO he's more physical than Kolisi, and he's a better defender than Kolisi. In a perfect world I'd have Kriel, Flouw and Whiteley as our loose trio, but I'm not the coach, so I'll have to accept whatever team is picked.

I never really thought anything of Mohoje even while doing service for SA'A' (not the airline - ha haa), until he seems to be getting the nod ahead of Jaco Kriel. As for him being better than Siya in terms of defense and physicality? I disagree, but in dismay because ditto for me, and the rest of the SA rugby public, who can smell the tax invoice (I did not say quota) on his selection but have to contend with it.

[/QUOTE] I am a Bulls fan, and I like Basson, but apart from his dominance in the air, he's a but of a no show everywhere else on the field. His tackling has always been suspect, and he's not the type of winger that looks for work. Ulengo or Pietersen would then be a much better option, and their physicality would also be a great addition.[/QUOTE]

Hence I am commending the fact he is getting exposure in a different position, because now he will be expanding on his skillset (kicking, tackling), mindset (positioning, vision) and all round gameplay.

Just saw news of Oregan Hoskins stepping down as SA rugby president. Can't really say if this is good or bad but thing, except for administration trotting grey areas.

When Allister Coetzee was appointed it was with the knowledge that transformation would have to be a big concern. Meaning while we don't officially have any quotas in the squad at this time Allister would not be fulfilling his mandate of transformation if he did nothing about quota's until 2019.
In the end it's been talked to death and honestly it's just something we need to get over, or stop supporting the Bokke, for me that isn't an option. Anyway Mohoje isn't too bad, he's obviously not as good as Kriel but I don't think he will bring any shame to the Springboks.

Wings are also a concern for me honestly, their are a few guys who might have the potential to step up but none of them are actually ready and have the full skill-sets required (other than Combrink and our oldies).

Edit: Also Mohoje has a 100% record vs the All Blacks and Aus. It's GENIUS! (he's only played them once each)

Latest posts