• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok Rugby Championship Squad

Why have you guys started to pick Mvovo again? Did you forget how badly he played the last time? He has not improved for the Sharks either.
I have a feeling Janse van Rensburg will be called up before the All blacks game.
Here is my team. If our team were able to play against each other this one would have to be the favourite.

15.Le Roux/Lambie--- I have always been a fan of Le Roux. Yes people started to figure him out but he has shown that he can be one of the best in the world on his day.
14. Hougaard---- Didn't do anything wrong and even though he is out of position we need to be playing all our best players that knows how it feels to win. Think of Dagg being played on the wing where he is actually a FB
13. Kriel--- Has the potential to be one of the most dangerous players. He is the best conditioned player in the squad and that's one area where the ABs are beating us.
12. Janse van Rensburg/Lambie ---- Either of these options at 12 is mouth watering or atleast better than our current setup.
11. Habana--- Dont like him that much really but no other options
10. Goosen---- Everyone is calling for this to happen even that NZ commentator guy Tony Johnson
9. De Klerk--- He has played some of his best matches at home. Actually all of his best matches was at home. MOTM performance coming up.
8. Whitely
7.Alberts -----Play him while he is not injured!!
6. Kriel---- Flouw should get a rest
5. PSDT---- He is the future lock for us and also our current best why pick De Jager?
4. Etzebeth
3. Redelinghuys
2. Strauss--- Marx is good but hookers need game time to get into it and since we have to win we cant afford that
1. Kitshoff

The only reason why I'm picking Mvovo is because I'm moving Hougaard to scrumhalf.

I Hougaard and De Jager, because we are playing at Loftus Versfeld. De Jager is now a Blue Bull and Hougaard is an old Bull.

Other than that, I think we are on par with the teams...

The starting 15 I would like to see.

1. Kitshoff
2. Strauss
3. Redelinghuys
4. Etzebeth
5. PSDT
6. Kriel
7. Alberts
8. Whitely

9. De Klerk
10. Lambie
11. Habana
12. Goosen/Janse van Rensburg (if possible)
13. Mapoe
14. Hougaard
15. Kriel

The only reason why I'm picking Mvovo is because I'm moving Hougaard to scrumhalf.

I Hougaard and De Jager, because we are playing at Loftus Versfeld. De Jager is now a Blue Bull and Hougaard is an old Bull.

Other than that, I think we are on par with the teams...

Boooo! Your Bulls bias is showing! Du Toit is twice the lock De Jager is (at least ATM). At least let De Jager have a few games at Loftus in 'die Ligblou' before we call him a Bull and let him get his form back before we play him ahead of arguably our best forward ATM.

- - - Updated - - -

Why have you guys started to pick Mvovo again? Did you forget how badly he played the last time? He has not improved for the Sharks either.
I have a feeling Janse van Rensburg will be called up before the All blacks game.
Here is my team. If our team were able to play against each other this one would have to be the favourite.

15.Le Roux/Lambie--- I have always been a fan of Le Roux. Yes people started to figure him out but he has shown that he can be one of the best in the world on his day.
14. Hougaard---- Didn't do anything wrong and even though he is out of position we need to be playing all our best players that knows how it feels to win. Think of Dagg being played on the wing where he is actually a FB
13. Kriel--- Has the potential to be one of the most dangerous players. He is the best conditioned player in the squad and that's one area where the ABs are beating us.
12. Janse van Rensburg/Lambie ---- Either of these options at 12 is mouth watering or atleast better than our current setup.
11. Habana--- Dont like him that much really but no other options
10. Goosen---- Everyone is calling for this to happen even that NZ commentator guy Tony Johnson
9. De Klerk--- He has played some of his best matches at home. Actually all of his best matches was at home. MOTM performance coming up.
8. Whitely
7.Alberts -----Play him while he is not injured!!
6. Kriel---- Flouw should get a rest
5. PSDT---- He is the future lock for us and also our current best why pick De Jager?
4. Etzebeth
3. Redelinghuys
2. Strauss--- Marx is good but hookers need game time to get into it and since we have to win we cant afford that
1. Kitshoff

I liked the team (though we still have a few weak spots) well enough but then saw it doesn't include a single black player and only 1 'player of color'. Won't happen unfortunately.

The starting 15 I would like to see.

1. Kitshoff
2. Strauss
3. Redelinghuys
4. Etzebeth
5. PSDT
6. Kriel
7. Alberts
8. Whitely

9. De Klerk
10. Lambie
11. Habana
12. Goosen/Janse van Rensburg (if possible)
13. Mapoe
14. Hougaard
15. Kriel

Pretty much the same here as my comment above.

I'd not be against Mapoe starting if RJvR was playing at 12. I'd like to see more of Mapoe outside someone other than De Allende and having his Lions partner on the inside and playing on the Highveld I think its only fair to judge him (his form rather- we know he CAN be a lethal finisher or is the step up to test rugby that big?) thereafter.

Last edited:
Boooo! Your Bulls bias is showing! Du Toit is twice the lock De Jager is (at least ATM). At least let De Jager have a few games at Loftus in 'die Ligblou' before we call him a Bull and let him get his form back before we play him ahead of arguably our best forward ATM.

- - - Updated - - -

I liked the team (though we still have a few weak spots) well enough but then saw it doesn't include a single black player and only 1 'player of color'. Won't happen unfortunately.

Finally! I was waiting for you to feature. At least I got you talking now!!

Haha. I honestly can't decide between Lood and PSDT at the moment.

Finally! I was waiting for you to feature. At least I got you talking now!!

Haha. I honestly can't decide between Lood and PSDT at the moment.

Haha. Taking on Du Toit got me to break my silence, yes, well done if that was what you were aiming at even if De Jager is family (all De Jagers are LOL). August was tax month so I've been having to push hard to make up LOL- us self-employed people have it hard in August.

I've also not been that inclined to complain about anything after the loss to NZ. Everywhere you see its doom and gloom on the headlines after the loss to NZ but honestly it shouldn't have come as a surprise (?) and the time to have had a rant was after the Irish series and the games against Argentina and I did. Surely a heavy loss to NZ was all but accepted but no it seems people had some sort of hope we stood a chance and are now picking up the pitchforks.

On the political stuff.. it bores me and I find people tend to be polarized and I don't care to fight for the 'middle' (these issues are sooo varied and complex), way too complex to do any of those topics justice on this platform. So I just stay out of it.

Last edited:
So since DDA, Mvovo & Marx have been released for Currie Cup duty, the lottery on AC's starting XV & bench shapes up even more. I am actually quite perturbed at his player management right now and am seeing a bit of a bias here, even if he admitted to not getting emotional about players selections.

In De Jongh & Mbonambi's case I can only assume he wants them to get as much game time. But if that's the case why include them at all in the Bok setup. Whereas seasoned out & more in-form players such as Rohan Janse van Rensburg & Marx actually had sufficient game time this year, he still chose the former 2 instead. Also - he defended his decision NOT to include Rohan by adding that DDA is the same player mold, but then ships him back to Currie Cup?

I don't care that much about Mvovo, albeit I guess there is also a thought of their releases happening at the players' request or the province? Not for Marx I think not. Pretty clear JDJ is a shoe-in to wear 12 and funnily enough the only player in this regard who is assured his place in the backline. The rest of of them are probably all left wondering OR AC is going for continuity as he feels nothing wrong with the current players' combinations (Lord help the Boks).

Probable Boks team v Aussies (for lottery purposes):
15. Goosen - Forgot he is the most consistent player for the Boks statistically in RC
14. Habana
13. Kriel
12. De Jongh
11. Hougaard
10. Lambie - was 1st choice and declared 100% fit. Also expected to cover centre if needed.
09. De Klerk - Form and temperament to change at home?
08. Whiteley
07. Mohoje
06. Louw
05. De Jager - Recovered from injury
04. Etzebeth
03. Redelinghuys - Recovered from injury
02. Strauss (c)
01. Mtawarira

16. Mbonambi
17. Kitshoff
18. Koch
19. PSDT - Covers loosie & lock
20. Mostert
21. Kriel
22. Steyn
23. Le Roux - Covers Wing & Fullback

So since DDA, Mvovo & Marx have been released for Currie Cup duty, the lottery on AC's starting XV & bench shapes up even more. I am actually quite perturbed at his player management right now and am seeing a bit of a bias here, even if he admitted to not getting emotional about players selections.

In De Jongh & Mbonambi's case I can only assume he wants them to get as much game time. But if that's the case why include them at all in the Bok setup. Whereas seasoned out & more in-form players such as Rohan Janse van Rensburg & Marx actually had sufficient game time this year, he still chose the former 2 instead. Also - he defended his decision NOT to include Rohan by adding that DDA is the same player mold, but then ships him back to Currie Cup?

I don't care that much about Mvovo, albeit I guess there is also a thought of their releases happening at the players' request or the province? Not for Marx I think not. Pretty clear JDJ is a shoe-in to wear 12 and funnily enough the only player in this regard who is assured his place in the backline. The rest of of them are probably all left wondering OR AC is going for continuity as he feels nothing wrong with the current players' combinations (Lord help the Boks).

Probable Boks team v Aussies (for lottery purposes):
15. Goosen - Forgot he is the most consistent player for the Boks statistically in RC
14. Habana
13. Kriel
12. De Jongh
11. Hougaard
10. Lambie - was 1st choice and declared 100% fit. Also expected to cover centre if needed.
09. De Klerk - Form and temperament to change at home?
08. Whiteley
07. Mohoje
06. Louw
05. De Jager - Recovered from injury
04. Etzebeth
03. Redelinghuys - Recovered from injury
02. Strauss (c)
01. Mtawarira

16. Mbonambi
17. Kitshoff
18. Koch
19. PSDT - Covers loosie & lock
20. Mostert
21. Kriel
22. Steyn
23. Le Roux - Covers Wing & Fullback

I agree with most of the starting 15,but I think Lambie is going to start on the bench and only make an appearance in the second half.

Hougaard not even considered to start there, probably due to low stocks on international & reputable wingers. Would like to see the headcount of injuries / unavailable players on the list now.

Hougaard not even considered to start there, probably due to low stocks on international & reputable wingers. Would like to see the headcount of injuries / unavailable players on the list now.

Duane Vermuelen, Frans Malherbe, Siya Kolisi, Bismarck du Plessis, Ruan Combrinck, Rudy Paige, Lwazi Mvovo,
Players below may have been selected prior to RC but were injured prior:
Cobus Reinach, Jan Serfontein, Handre Pollard, Marcell Coetzee. Schalk Burger also made himself unavailable due to club commitments with Saracens. JP Pietersen as well. That's a total of 13! Did I miss anyone?

Duane Vermuelen, Frans Malherbe, Siya Kolisi, Bismarck du Plessis, Ruan Combrinck, Rudy Paige, Lwazi Mvovo,
Players below may have been selected prior to RC but were injured prior:
Cobus Reinach, Jan Serfontein, Handre Pollard, Marcell Coetzee. Schalk Burger also made himself unavailable due to club commitments with Saracens. JP Pietersen as well. That's a total of 13! Did I miss anyone?

That's a lot of missing talent.

Latest posts