• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Schmidt Era Ireland

Interesting hope it works out any SA members have any insight into how good he is and what to expect?
Decent but plays favourites. Some baffling selections at times, and he wasn't able to help our players step up a gear when needed.

I think the centre combination has a real mystery about it. I expect Darcy and BOD to continue for the time being but Schmidt is a clever man and to not test new players in those positions would be naive. I can't see Earls making any ground at centre and his abandonment of the wing position has real placed him down the pecking order. Cave certainly has talent but needs to shine in the green as opportunities will be limited and ultimately the player who makes the greatest impression will earn the jersey. I really can't wait to see Marshal, Hanrahan and Olding in action, and I would bet against Schmidt looking to them as long term replacements.

The issues at hooker which seem to be reoccurring will also be interesting. I can't see Schmidt continuing with Best if his recent form in lineout throwing continues. Much of Leinsters strike moves occur off the lineout and Schmidt will simply not accept one that doesn't function. I can see Strauss making gains in the squad aswell as Sherry if he can prove himself to be Ireland's best thrower in line with what many Munster and suggest.

Plumtree is a good pick up - definitely worthy of an international assistant coaching job.

One of my Ulster friends also follows Sharks, he wishlisted Plumtree a few times for the Ulster job. For a forwards coach, it's certainly quite the coup on paper.

I think the centre combination has a real mystery about it. I expect Darcy and BOD to continue for the time being but Schmidt is a clever man and to not test new players in those positions would be naive. I can't see Earls making any ground at centre and his abandonment of the wing position has real placed him down the pecking order. Cave certainly has talent but needs to shine in the green as opportunities will be limited and ultimately the player who makes the greatest impression will earn the jersey. I really can't wait to see Marshal, Hanrahan and Olding in action, and I would bet against Schmidt looking to them as long term replacements.

The issues at hooker which seem to be reoccurring will also be interesting. I can't see Schmidt continuing with Best if his recent form in lineout throwing continues. Much of Leinsters strike moves occur off the lineout and Schmidt will simply not accept one that doesn't function. I can see Strauss making gains in the squad aswell as Sherry if he can prove himself to be Ireland's best thrower in line with what many Munster and suggest.

I'd have Marshall at 12 and Strauss at 2. Simple as that really.

In my mind 13 is the big problem position in the squad. We seem to be producing lots of players who can play in the 10/12 channel, but very few for the outside role.

In my mind 13 is the big problem position in the squad. We seem to be producing lots of players who can play in the 10/12 channel, but very few for the outside role.
Big battle at 2 Sherry Strauss and Best all very good in their own ways but also all bring something different. Regards 12 Marshall is injury prone so we need another option or 2, Olding is 1 and maybe would BOD be option. 13 we need to act fast as last thing we need is Bod to go and have no one there.
Overall though Schmidt is left with a very good pool of players at his disposal

A look at the lineout success stats from the last 9 Irish games would suggest Strauss isn't a great deal more reliable...

Canada - Strauss - 93.3pc (Tuohy, Toner)
USA - Strauss - 60pc (McCarthy, Toner)
Italy - Best - 55.6pc (McCarthy, Ryan)
France - Best - 93.8pc (McCarthy, Ryan)
Scotland - Best - 76.5pc (O'Callaghan, Ryan)
England - Best - 83.3pc (McCarthy, Ryan)
Wales - Best - 81.8pc (McCarthy, Ryan)
Argentina - Strauss - 81.2pc (Ryan, McCarthy)
South Africa - Strauss - 80pc (Ryan, McCarthy)

One very good match each, one very bad match each, and a median of "Not really good enough but just about acceptable" for the rest. The real consistents here are the locks, not the hookers.

I think our ineout will change a lot with PO'C back to be honest so we'll see how that goes.

I'd like to see Olding tried a bitat 13 to be honest

I think our ineout will change a lot with PO'C back to be honest so we'll see how that goes.

I'd like to see Olding tried a bitat 13 to be honest

I'd thought of that to he seems to have the pace form what little I've seen of him. However it would differ to his natural game as a distributer as I'd like to see some one in the 13 shirt who hits gaps and can bring his outside men in so it could take for him to adjust to that role, but I thinks it's definitely something worth trying.

Any possibility Luke Fitz will get chances at 13 for Leinster and maybe progress to Ireland. Realistically the back 3 is in very healthy state and Leinster need a 13 too

I'd thought of that to he seems to have the pace form what little I've seen of him. However it would differ to his natural game as a distributer as I'd like to see some one in the 13 shirt who hits gaps and can bring his outside men in so it could take for him to adjust to that role, but I thinks it's definitely something worth trying.

I'd say he definitely has the pace and I think his excellent step would be well used out wider. Honestly I'm a bit worried that he may be too small for a top class 12 though maybe he could do it. Also his passing and offloading could still be well utilised at 13. Just an example of his running.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A1hlTNMJFgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and his offloading (watch the whole clip)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F-0TFFhpkjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry if any of this seems condescending don't know how much you see of him in Singapore.

Olding has played 13. Played it for Ireland U20s. Looked good there.

I feel reasonably sure Olding could play any back position if he really put his mind to it. Has it all apart from size, and that doesn't seem to bother him too much.

edit: The problem with Ulster producing the next Ireland 13 is that, barring orders from D4, they will have the devil's own time getting past Cave. And I'm dubious about Cave being the next guy for Ireland, as his acceleration maybe isn't there.

Last edited:
Olding has played 13. Played it for Ireland U20s. Looked good there.

I feel reasonably sure Olding could play any back position if he really put his mind to it. Has it all apart from size, and that doesn't seem to bother him too much.

edit: The problem with Ulster producing the next Ireland 13 is that, barring orders from D4, they will have the devil's own time getting past Cave. And I'm dubious about Cave being the next guy for Ireland, as his acceleration maybe isn't there.

also farrell will be returning soon,
doubt ulster will want to use olding at 13 when we have two good 13's on the books

I've said before that I think Luke Marshall has what it takes to become a high quality 13. He tends to hit a line well as seen vividly against Scotland in the 6 Nations. Put him outside distributors like Paddy Jackson, Stuart Olding, Jonny Sexton and Ian Madigan and I think good things will happen.

@BH8 we looking but I think funds for scrum coach are so low that we won't be getting major name or maybe it might be Gibbes on a part time basis for 6Nations.

On Schmidt I'd wonder has he got his first choice back room staff and secondly is lack of time he has with lads on field going to be a possible issue

@BH8 we looking but I think funds for scrum coach are so low that we won't be getting major name or maybe it might be Gibbes on a part time basis for 6Nations.

On Schmidt I'd wonder has he got his first choice back room staff and secondly is lack of time he has with lads on field going to be a possible issue

It won't be Gibbes. He was a backrow and there's a reason Leinster had to get Feek in in the first place.

Don't worry BG8 it didn't come across as condescending, I'm not really doubting that he has the physical assists to play at 13 just the innate ability to judge when to hit the gaps in the 13 channel. A good example is Keith Earls he has all a 13 needs but he never seems to know when to pass and when to run. In the clip where he scores the try you can pretty clearly see Jackson pointing at him to hit the gap, I'm not saying he wouldn't have gone for it but it would be interesting to see what he dose without the direction from 10 in the 13 shirt.

Latest posts