• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 15 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Could be a double Triple Crown Wales - Championship Ireland celebration[/b]
Do you think Wales are really interested in a Triple Crown though, especially after winning a couple of Slams over the last 4 years? It's a consolation prize rather than somethig which has much meaning. It always bothered me to see Ireland "celebrate" Triple Crowns over the last few years. They mean F all. Championships and Grand Slams matter. Triple Crowns mean nothing. They haven't really meant anything since France became competitive in the then 5 Nations.

I'm sure Gatland will want the players to aim to win next week. Playing a match with the mindset that you need to 'win by x points' is the best way to set yourself up for a failure. Inverdale just couldn't help saying that Wales haven't beaten Ireland by more than 13 points in 32 years, so like I said, winning the championship next week will be awesome, provided we win with Ireland not choking in the process.

well you have to play to win and let the score take care of itself but hopefully we'll get a repeat of 2005 only in reverse with Wales having to chase the game and Ireland being in the position just to play for the win.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 15 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sure Gatland will want the players to aim to win next week. Playing a match with the mindset that you need to 'win by x points' is the best way to set yourself up for a failure. Inverdale just couldn't help saying that Wales haven't beaten Ireland by more than 13 points in 32 years, so like I said, winning the championship next week will be awesome, provided we win with Ireland not choking in the process.[/b]
I think that's the right attitude to have. I wonder whether Gatland is kicking himself for changing so many of his team against Italy. Had he played a full side, it could have made Wales' task of winning a ***le so much easier next week.

Latest posts