• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrum hats

C

Chesterfaint

I'm in the U14 A team at my School and i'm a second row, i find that now i'm getting some bad rubbing of the ears as comes with the role of second row, i just wanted the opinions of people with scrum hats, whether they are necessary, what are the problems i'm gonna experience if i get cauliflower ears and will i be able to hear as easily with a scrum hat on?

cheers.

It may be worth considering a bandage and tape if you don't like hats. I find they're bloody hot and horrible things myself, that being said I've only worn one the once.

I was considering a bandage, i always thought they made you look like a twat. but does bandage give the same protection?

You won't have any problems hearing with a scrum cap on. I've worn one for ages. Just make sure you get one that fits properly, won't do anything to stop the rubbing otherwise.

Or, as has been suggested, just use a bandage and tape.

I sometime use bandage and tape (depending on when i last got my haircut) and I find it much better than a scrum hat. With a scrum hat you'll get really hot and I find them quite annoying, and sometimes they get grabbed my the opposition in contact. Granted though, a scrum cap will protect you from cauliflower ears and it'll help to avoid cuts to the head as well.

You could always slap some vaseline on yer lugs.

Thanks for the responses guys, i think i'm gonna go with bandage and tape unless i start to get some ear problems.

Or you could choose to amputate your ears and leave two holes in the side of yuor head. Saves you the hassle of the tape :D

Save your ears and wear a scrum cap.
Blades-scrum-cap.gif

You can hear with them.

i used a scrum cap and i must say, if i could scrum with it, and then take it off it would be awesome. it just gets sooo hot, especially if dont have short short hair. but i did one scrum before i got mine and i said, nup scrum cap it is haha

I have one, and if it's a good fit I don't find it bothers me. It saves you from concussion, cuts, and the ears. I find that when I wear it my contact is much better because I feel more confident. I wouldn't bother taping up all the time, just wear a cap.

i am new to playing rugby and was thinking about getting a scrum cap. i was wondering how tight or loose thay are ment to be worn?

i am new to playing rugby and was thinking about getting a scrum cap. i was wondering how tight or loose thay are ment to be worn?
[/b]

Tight enough so that it doesn't move about on your head when you run and won't come off at the slighest contact, loose enough that you can still breathe.

Like any headgear in life, it should be comfortably snug without becoming painful.

I'm going to start wearing a cap, even though I play in the backs. I wore it once the other day and I played with a completly different mentality, became more confident and agressive, but maybe thats just me.

I'm going to start wearing a cap, even though I play in the backs. I wore it once the other day and I played with a completly different mentality, became more confident and agressive, but maybe thats just me. [/b]

I felt the same way when I first wore a cap too; though I play in the forwards, it still made me feel more fonfident, especially at ruck time.

if you are playin second row i suggest scrum cap

tape could be a good option but you're right in the middle of the scrum, between front and back row

<div class='quotemain'> I'm going to start wearing a cap, even though I play in the backs. I wore it once the other day and I played with a completly different mentality, became more confident and agressive, but maybe thats just me. [/b]

I felt the same way when I first wore a cap too; though I play in the forwards, it still made me feel more fonfident, especially at ruck time.
[/b][/quote]

When I think about it, I feel like a bit of a pussy, but you guys are right about the psychological difference a scrum cap can make. They don't protect against any big injuries, and I've actually taken a couple good bruises to the top of my head while wearing one, but it seems like I worry less about knocking my head around when finding a gap in a ruck.

I guess all things being relative they aren't that soft compared to the hard helmets I've worn when playing American Football.

I personally think a scrumcap is a must for 2nd rowers. I played with tape once and it sucked. Of course I have long hair so I prefer scrumcaps as they serve a dual purpose (hair + ears). I have to agree on the ruck thing as well, With a scrumcap I just throw myself about. It makes you feel more protected.

scurm hats or headgears are life savers,
i play frontrow in U18 div 1 and i wouldnt go
into a scurm without one

Latest posts