• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrum hats

As a back I don't think I need one. I'm already agressive enough as it is and manage to get through 1 or 2 tackles most the time. I don't think that a back should need a scrum cap as its not even proven they help with concussion.
[/b]

The cap help you feel more confident jumping more, that is a problem to many rugby players

As a back I don't think I need one. I'm already agressive enough as it is and manage to get through 1 or 2 tackles most the time. I don't think that a back should need a scrum cap as its not even proven they help with concussion.
[/b]

That's your perfectly valid opinion, but if a back feels like he needs to wear it to feel safer, then no one can tell him he should't. I'm also a back and don't need one, but that's my decision.

Back when I played in school I think it became compulsory for the kids to wear scrumcaps/headgear. From my memory they don't have any major detrimental effect on your hearing, they're right sweaty things though. Worth the protection in my opinion, didn't stop me getting knocked out once but can't win 'em all hey.

I remember a study being done on the affects of headgear in collision situations by the IRB, I think it was, and the figure was somewhere around only 3% less shock (97% shock factor). I could be wrong, don't quote me on that whatever you do.
Of course on the other hand they would be very effective in preventing cuts and like many have said, for the tight-5 at scrumtime.
When I was concussed badly last year (Wasn't allowed to play for two weeks, but I played on the second week anyway lol) I wasn't wearing a headgear at five-eighth and I never will wear one.
It's one of those things that each player will have their personal preferences about.

Latest posts