• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Second Test: Australia vs. British and Irish Lions (29/06/13)

Surprisingly series marked by how poor Aussies have been rather than how good BILs are. Remarkable that Aussies are still in this.

As for JOC. I can imagine Horwill padding him on the back and say It's not your fault son - it's the selector's. You shouldn't be here.

Wallabies stronger than last year. Best defense, best scrum, they have James Horwill and Will Genia, Michael Hooper continuos to mantain a good level, got a great kicker (Leali'ifano), got a great impact player (Folau). They can fight TRC this year, will be a tough opponent for ABs and Boks.

Do you think like me?

Regards

I'd say it was an issue of poor tactics moreso tbh. How many times did we see Youngs, Murray, Sexton and Halfpenny kick away good ball on up and unders? Also, the lineout gave zero clean ball. You can't expect the backs to get over the line if you're feeding them scraps.

You guys dominated the breakdown though and couldn't get quick ball. I don't know what you guys thought but from where I sat Youngs was appalling. He mucked around putting the ball into the scrums (and cost you a free kick for that) and didn't demand quick ball. He also didn't appear to have a substantive running game. Sexton didn't impress me (never has) because I don't think he controls the game well enough. Your midfield was completely anonymous. Isn't Davies known for getting crash ball? You needed Tualagi in there or just, as Sam Owens would say, someone to run it straight. Even your forwards looked laboured taking the ball up. Your back 3 was hugely impressive though but their insides gave them nothing.

I think the Lions just went into their shell. They tried to grind out a win but didn't realise at some point they had to spread the ball. The problem with the 'conservative' strategy when you go up against a team with good attack is one mistake and you are screwed because you don't have the ability to hit back.

Joubert was terrible. I hope no Aussies or Brits try to claim he was unfair because he wasn't. However, he didn't let the game flow at all. The constant mistakes were bizarre and inexplicable from both teams.

Warburton was immense.

The Australians were pretty bad too. When they finally put the pressure on they were able to crack the Lions defence which was very good. If the tactics were to play like that then the tactics need to be changed for next week. I think game 3 is going to favour the Australians. They have the momentum, have now played a couple of tests together while the Lions are at the end of a long season.

Can agree Warburton showed the form that made him a class act tonight

Certainly. Thought he played out of his skin today. Definitely my MOTM, he was everywhere. Forced at least 3 turnovers and was great with ball-in-hand carrying. Still, think Tipuric should have been on the bench to keep up the disrupting work at the breakdown. Although O'Brien gave a lot of go-forward when he came on.

Feel gutted for Halfpenny, he had yet another great game and to miss a kick like that is unlucky for the fella. 53 metres was asking a bit too much though after 80 minutes of hard running.

Vunipola really struggled in scrum in first half, but managed to start holding his own a bit in the second.

And in other news the Aussies are cruising to a win over Somerset in the cricket. This might be their greatest day in sport for years.

Wallabies stronger than last year. Best defense, best scrum, they have James Horwill and Will Genia, Michael Hooper continuos to mantain a good level, got a great kicker (Leali'ifano), got a great impact player (Folau). They can fight TRC this year, will be a tough opponent for ABs and Boks.

Do you think like me?

Regards

If they play like that with that many mistakes we should put 20 points on them. At least. Conceding 18 turnovers and 14 penalties (okay partly Joubert) does not make for winning rugby. But, yes, they do now have a very competitive scrum.

I think Australia will be far better by TRC.

Absolutely class game of rugby. Warburton, Wynn Jones, and Lydiate were absolutely huge for us. To be honest, our backs were poor, and we played for penalties all game. O'Driscoll and Davies had really poor games, and I wasn't impressed by Ben Youngs at all. This result leaves it wide open for next week. Unlucky from Halfpenny. He played a stormer, and the last kick was simply outside of his range.
From an Aussie Point of view, their pack was fairly immense, and Genia ran the show as per usual. I think that was a really even game, and although it wasn't as wide open as last week, I honestly enjoyed it more, despite the result.

No I agreed with SOB as he covered all backrow and if Warburton wasn't injured he remained on field. Add in Tipuric hasn't been great this tour. Next week big call will be at 1,2,7(if SW out),9 12, and I think the bench is big shout. I'd like to see a Zebo or Tuilagi on there who has something special to really rock the Oz. For me we see Folau becoming 1 of the best around and it helped that he was slightly unknown/untested

I wasn't impressed by Ben Youngs at all.

Neither was I tbh. Was hoping he would come in and speed up play, which he did for the first 10 or so minutes, but then it started to go downhill from there unfortunately. There was a few occasions he got caught out by the likes of Hooper around the fringes of the rucks and got driven backwards, on one occasion he was driven back by 5 or 6 yards it looked. Philips was rightly critcised for taking the ball on darting runs around the fringes and being isolated, but Youngs tried to do the same thing too many times and didn't even make ground. This is why Philips has an advantage when he has a good game - he can hold his ground and won't be pushed about as easily.

Thought Murray actually did a decent job though coming off the bench, and I'm not usually a huge fan of his. But I'll ask again... WHERE THE HELL IS LAIDLAW??

Surprisingly series marked by how poor Aussies have been rather than how good BILs are. Remarkable that Aussies are still in this.

As for JOC. I can imagine Horwill padding him on the back and say It's not your fault son - it's the selector's. You shouldn't be here.
Someone who gets it! JOC is not a 10! Quade Cooper may be erratic but can't be more so than that surely?

Ospreylian, the time you're thinking of the ball popped up and Youngs was left to clean it up with no support. He did well simply to get the ball back. Youngs barely ran at all from what I saw.

There's a lot of blame on the backs but I saw no platform. The lineout rarely produced clean ball off the top, scrum never offered anything, and the breakdown went backwards. Ball carrying was worse too. The brief period when there was good quick ball they played well, the rest of the match they didn't. We need to get something extra out of the pack, but i don't know how, other than praying for Corbs' fitness. Maybe O'Brien.

Yeah I think Youngs suffered from the set piece to be fair. Corbs coming back will sort the scrum straight out and maybe Croft has to be looked at again for the lineout. Davies was poor for me, I think he will be out next week. I would also add Faletau over Heaslip. All in all it was a scrappy game for a long time, only in the last 20min did it open up a bit.

I think Seanies time has come. He offers that go forward which I feel is needed - Lydiate to the bench and Croft maybe out of the squad and into the crowd where he can inspect rucks from a better vantage point. I feel youngs offered quick ball but didn't create space for it to be explored since he rarely looked like sniping. In fact he's continued his bad habit of taking the ball from the ruck and running diagonally backwards before passing.

You guys dominated the breakdown though and couldn't get quick ball. I don't know what you guys thought but from where I sat Youngs was appalling. He mucked around putting the ball into the scrums (and cost you a free kick for that) and didn't demand quick ball. He also didn't appear to have a substantive running game. Sexton didn't impress me (never has) because I don't think he controls the game well enough. Your midfield was completely anonymous. Isn't Davies known for getting crash ball? You needed Tualagi in there or just, as Sam Owens would say, someone to run it straight. Even your forwards looked laboured taking the ball up. Your back 3 was hugely impressive though but their insides gave them nothing.

I think the Lions just went into their shell. They tried to grind out a win but didn't realise at some point they had to spread the ball. The problem with the 'conservative' strategy when you go up against a team with good attack is one mistake and you are screwed because you don't have the ability to hit back.

Joubert was terrible. I hope no Aussies or Brits try to claim he was unfair because he wasn't. However, he didn't let the game flow at all. The constant mistakes were bizarre and inexplicable from both teams.

Warburton was immense.

The Australians were pretty bad too. When they finally put the pressure on they were able to crack the Lions defence which was very good. If the tactics were to play like that then the tactics need to be changed for next week. I think game 3 is going to favour the Australians. They have the momentum, have now played a couple of tests together while the Lions are at the end of a long season.

Completely agree with this! How the heck is a team supposed to win a Rugby test when it kicks away most of its possession !!
So frustrating to watch this game, it was sloppy rugby and a lot of the time seemed liked both teams were a bit clueless as to what to do, seems to me that there doesn't seem to be a great reader of the game out on the field for the Lions.....and why in the world wouldn't you play Tuilagi tonight after he helped knock over the Rebels earlier this week !!! He's an awesome game breaker !

Agree about the Lions kicking away possession. That was their attack! I don't think Bowe or North got any chance to have a run. Australia were very poor and maybe with the roof closed it might have made the ball a bit slippy. Still, some of the knock ons from both sides you wouldn't see in a schoolboy match.

The forwards didn't help the attack either. There was no go forward ball to get on the front foot.

Aussies deserved to win -well done to them.

The Lions forgot that they needed to attack with the ball. The last half hour was all waves of gold, and the Lions defense was eventually broken.
Good games from Beale, Genia, Folau, Hooper, Horwill for Oz and from Warburton, Bowe, North, AWJ for the Lions.

The tactic of bringing Lydiate in to sit on Genia failed and the set piece (including restarts) went to hell in a handbasket for the Lions. JD was terrible, O'Driscoll and Sexton were average. For some reason ,the Lions just didn't bother to use their backline in attack and kept booting the ball skyward. I think WG should roll the dice next week and play Roberts and Tuilagi.

MOTM - Will Genia

First post (be gentle with me)

Really, really good game! Obviously gutted to lose but no one can say 1-1 isn’t fair on the balance of the first two tests… and next week is set up to be a epic

Firstly - Ref was excellent today I thought. Something definitely needs to be done to standardise the way they’re are allowed to “interpret†the rules (i.e. the guy today vs last the guy week) Today he was trying to get the game played the way it should, and it was a much better spectacle because of it.

My 2 cents on the Lions:

Overall we really don’t seem interested in getting the backs running, which is a shame with some of the guys we’ve got out there, but I guess that’s the way Gatland wants us to play and if it wins us the series I won’t be complaining.

Warburton & Lydiate absolutely superb all game. O’Driscoll not far behind.

Not the biggest Croft fan but the lineout was creaking without him. Still, in a trade-off for the pit-bull pairing of Lydiate/Warburton the choice is obvious. Heaslip was excellent again today I thought. Same again next week please.

Parling justified his selection and stood up. Alan Wyn-Jones is a double-hard b*stard.

Tom Youngs started as he left off last week but seems to tire 2nd half and rightly subbed. Love this guy though.

Don’t need to say anything about Adam Jones, other than he’s backed up the talk that he’s one of our most important players.

Special mention for Vunipola â€" Doesn’t seem to have the quality for this level and surprised he was even travelling, but to come back from the trouncing he took in the first 20 was heroic. That’s exactly why I love the Lions. Corbs back next week though please!

Can’t complain about anyone 9-15 (Bowe maybe a bit quiet). Dogged performances all round. Jonathan Davies continues to impress & O’Driscoll magnificent.

Sexton going up a gear next week could possibly make the difference. Getting the ball in North’s hands or on Halfpenny’s boot could definitely make the difference.

Come on the Lions!

Hmmm... so Australia deservedly win.

Where to go from here for next week though. Number of good performances, but a number of partnerships didn't really work leaving the sum somewhat short of the constitutive components.

1. MK: Was looking grim half way through the first half, but he steadied himself (and thus the scrum) very well. Makes sense to stick with him for next week now.
2. TY: Good in loose, not able to make the lineout tail, but neither is Hibbard. Would also start him next week.
3. AJ: Did his job in the scrum. Definite starter for next week.
4. Parling: Probably need a bit more go-forward - but if he/coaches doesn't feel his carrying is strong enough - then fair enough - let others do it instead. No other options, has to start. I don't 100% trust Rickie Gray.
5. AWJ: Big worker. Big big worker. Another big game needed next week.
6. DL: Did nothing wrong defensively. Great tackling workrate. Did as expected. But... if we need to win, is it enough? Question mark for next week. We need go-forward ball from the forwards.
7. SW: I've slated him on here before, but by god he stood up and was counted today. Superb. Would be a big loss if he couldn't start next week.
8. JH: Him and SW went off within a couple of minutes of each other. Back row was always under ruck pressure afterward. Hard to say how much that is Heaslip and how much is Warburton. Faletau is fresh and playing well, could be worth a start next week.
9. BY: Not the absolute stinker he had against the Brumbies, but not great either. Murray looked markedly more assured when he came on - and I never thought I'd be saying that!
10. JS: Did OK without a platform, a lack of a big carrier outside him probably left him looking to kick too often.
11. GN: Didn't get much ball to work with, but stuck to the task of containing Folau well. Needed to be used more on inside diagonals I think - but there wasn't much space in midfield to exploit.
12. JD: Jiffy jnr had a few iffy moments, but mixed that with a few decent runs too. I'd think BOD and TB will be looking at him a bit - AAC was his man for the Aus try and he was caught off-track badly. Hasn't done much wrong, but might be sacrified to give a big carrier for Sexton to use.
13. BOD: Not great offensively, in the 2nd half threw a very poor pass and kicked to nothing, both of which bought big pressure on the Lions. But a rock defensively. Certain starter for next week.
14. TB: Great defensively, absolutely superb. Knew when to stick, when to drift and when to trade space for time. If Cuthbert had been there, I'm quite sure the Aussies would have ran in 2 or 3 down that side. But, like North, didn't really get involved in midfield breaks as much as I would like. Also certain to start next week.
15. LH: Solid. However too often in broken field the first instinct was to kick rather than look for the runners - also didn't add too much shape to the Lions attack (for reference, see Jared Payne for us lot in Ulster). Even for the sake of mixing it up a bit to keep the defense guessing he should look at running to make an outside overlap rather than straight back down the throat. Unfortunate that the last kick fell short - but not wholly surprising after 80 hard minutes. Again, will start next week.

So my main questions are 6, 8, 9 and 12.

IMO:
O'Brien < Lydiate
Faletau < Heaslip
Murray < Youngs
Tuilagi < Davies

Leaving the rest as is.

The bench, I'd have Davies as the lineout option. Tipuric as the bench backrower and then assuming Roberts is out, Youngs, Davies and Hogg as your back cover. Hogg can cover 10 adequately. He could offer the broken field running that Halfpenny doesn't. Drop the kicker I hear you say? Yes if we need to chase the game.

Latest posts