• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Simpson-Daniel called up to England training squad

So, I say it and it's "opinion", you say it and it's fact? Your opinion is wrong.

JSD, Banahan, Ashton & Ojo are the players England need to develop, not the hype machine around Vinakolo, the disapointment around Strettle or the Job for the Boy, Sackey.

My opinion isn't wrong because its based on facts on the rugby field, facts which you refuse to acknowledge.

Sackey hasn't done anything wrong in the six nations, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire. This is the same case as Vainikolo. Their not coming into the game enough which is a real shame as they could both do significant damage.

At the same time however, it isn't like they are being played into the game much. We can see what they do at their clubs, so you've got to look at the reasons why it isn't transpiring to the international game.

However, back to the discussion, two of England's brightest stars brought into the squad in the space of a few days. I for one would love to see Sinbad on the wing next weekend. He's proven himself at Gloucester and has already had international experience. I don't see what the risk would be.

Looking at the flip side however, its a proper shame Strettle won't play a part in the Six Nations this year. He showed some positive signs against Wales, and will cause a selection head ache for England later this year, and possibly the Lions. However, one mans misery is another mans gain...

At the end of the day, there is so much competition at wing these days. They're all pulling something special out of the bag game after game after game in the Premiership, Simpson-Daniel and Vainikolo must be having a try-scoring contest.

And then look to next year with the likes of Chris Ashton with Bananaman and its going to get even more crowded. Heck, even Tom Varndell might learn some skills other than running very fast to join in with the action.

Speaking of Chris Ashton...this looks like Mites work on his Wikipedia page:

Ashtongifsb2.gif

Nicely done, how do you get those animated gifs to do that? Set it to some funky slow moving music and you could do a cool 30 second montage of your favorite player.

Refuse what facts?

Last 10 England games and related Sackey involvment...

France: Scored 1 try thanks to lacklustre defence and a calamity of Balshaw proportions from the fullback.
Italy: Scored 1 try. Italy were awful, 2 tries in total was pathetic.
Wales: Didn't score, missed vital tackle allowing Byrne in.
South Africa (WC): Didn't score. Habana gave him a lesson in what a real class winger is.
France (WC): Didn't score. Was barely involved in anything. Threw the ball away on several occasions.
Australia (WC): Didn't score. Decent tackle on Mortlock. Mucked up several clear scoring chances.
Tonga (WC): Scored twice. Laziy jogged into corner for showboat dive rather then setting up easy conversion. Missed vital tackles for Tongan scores. Only selected because Robinson was injured.
Samoa (WC): Scored once. Flopped on a ball against a defence that can barely compete with the junior side of a ND1 team. Hardly a taxing effort there. Only selected because Robinson was injured.
South Africa (WC): Opposite number of JP Pietersen who scored twice. Ahem. Only selectyed because Robinson was injured.
USA (WC): Wasn't even selected.

Quality.

guys, please, how come a topic on the subject of Gloucester's Simpson-Daniel turn into a pointless arguement on how good/crap Paul Sackey is.

Refuse what facts?

Last 10 England games and related Sackey involvment...

France: Scored 1 try thanks to lacklustre defence and a calamity of Balshaw proportions from the fullback.
Italy: Scored 1 try. Italy were awful, 2 tries in total was pathetic.
Wales: Didn't score, missed vital tackle allowing Byrne in.
South Africa (WC): Didn't score. Habana gave him a lesson in what a real class winger is.
France (WC): Didn't score. Was barely involved in anything. Threw the ball away on several occasions.
Australia (WC): Didn't score. Decent tackle on Mortlock. Mucked up several clear scoring chances.
Tonga (WC): Scored twice. Laziy jogged into corner for showboat dive rather then setting up easy conversion. Missed vital tackles for Tongan scores. Only selected because Robinson was injured.
Samoa (WC): Scored once. Flopped on a ball against a defence that can barely compete with the junior side of a ND1 team. Hardly a taxing effort there. Only selected because Robinson was injured.
South Africa (WC): Opposite number of JP Pietersen who scored twice. Ahem. Only selectyed because Robinson was injured.
USA (WC): Wasn't even selected.

Quality.[/b]

Paul Sackey isn't the best winger in the world, that's a given. He isn't the worst either. Perhaps you should make a similar list for the other England players as well, there weren't too many bright lights for them either.

JSD should be in though, over Sackey. He has the ability to play rugby in 360 degrees, rather than just having a forward/backward mode.

Godwins Law dictates that eventually someone will talk about Nazis.......f***.

I think Paul Sackey is a totally adequate winger, he's not astounding but he scores tries and doesn't commit any major defensive faux pas, correct me if I'm wrong but none come to mind.
I rate JSD to be quiet honest.
I however think before Brian Ashton thinks about wingers he needs to be thinking about fullbacks, he can't seriously think Balshaw is a good player/is playing well.
I get the feeling Balshaw is paying him to stay in the XV, nay the XXII....nay, the training squad.

guys, please, how come a topic on the subject of Gloucester's Simpson-Daniel turn into a pointless arguement on how good/crap Paul Sackey is. [/b]

I don't know, over to you Mite-ster!

Stop mentioning Balshaw, he isn't even a winger!!!

A new law:

"As an online rugby discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Ian Balshaw approaches one."

Simpson Daniel in white jersey......that's a good news !!!

He's the only one good creative backs who play high level in GP.

He deserves this call, he deserves to play for England.

simple view on Sackey:

He's a good winger. Strong finisher, scores lots of tries. positionally he seems quite good, most of the time he is where he needs to be. Defensively he loves to blitz. this has saved England several times in the 6N, but did cost us for Byrne's try.

So overall: a good winger. He's not the best in the world though. He won't make the SH teams quake in their boots, but he's doing his job so far. IMO Sinbad has more potential, but also more defensive risk. He needs to be included, tested and hopefully started.

I've never really rated any of Englands backline players (although I was a big fan of the backline in Jonah Lomu Rugby ;) ) but I think JSD is a quality player. Agile and runs good lines.

I hope he takes this opportunity with both hands

Sinbad is the future of English rugby and here are the reasons in my opinion :

• Both Lesely Vainikolo and Paul Sackey will be over 32 when the next World Cup comes around in 2,011
  • James Simpson-Daniel will be 29 and still in his prime in 2,011
  • He is the form wing of the Guinness Premiership
  • He deserves a chance to prove himself on the International stage
  • Though he has had many injuries he still is able to come through them stronger than before

How do you think JSD would go at either fullback (must be better than Balshaw) or even inside centre. Both positions would get him involved and would allow him to be creative. I just get the feeling that if he plays wing for England they won't give him the ball and then they will drop him again.
On Sackey he is a good player but when you look at the alternatives you have to wonder why he makes the side. Even Tait on the wing would be a better option.

How do you think JSD would go at either fullback (must be better than Balshaw) or even inside centre. Both positions would get him involved and would allow him to be creative. I just get the feeling that if he plays wing for England they won't give him the ball and then they will drop him again.
On Sackey he is a good player but when you look at the alternatives you have to wonder why he makes the side. Even Tait on the wing would be a better option. [/b]

If he truly is a class winger he will come looking for work. He's much more devastating outwide than he would be at 12, where potentially he could be a bit weak.

Latest posts