• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Six nations tv thread

Crikey lot of people have views on the presenters on PFV TV maybe because they watch it!!!!!

Last edited:
I really hope it stays on the BBC, despite some of the muppets they've got on the rugby staff.
If it does go to PTV then I hope it's BT - I don't want Stuart Barnes ruining anymore rugby for me.

As an aside, I hope Greenwood's Sky contract is up soon, would love to see him on BT.

I really hope it stays on the BBC, despite some of the muppets they've got on the rugby staff.
If it does go to PTV then I hope it's BT - I don't want Stuart Barnes ruining anymore rugby for me.

As an aside, I hope Greenwood's Sky contract is up soon, would love to see him on BT.

So let's have all the international and some Aviva rugby on BT which has no other sport that anyone really wants to watch which is on sky like cricket and golf or Top 14 and Pro 12 and pay them as well!!! Daft!

Crikey lot of people have views on the presenters on PFV TV maybe because they watch it!!!!!

yes, but we're rugby fans, it's important to the game that casual viewers get to watch it... else how does a kid who's dads a football fanatic get exposed to rugby?

The difference between 9mill and 700,000 viewers is increidble.

yes, but we're rugby fans, it's important to the game that casual viewers get to watch it... else how does a kid who's dads a football fanatic get exposed to rugby?

The difference between 9mill and 700,000 viewers is increidble.

If his Dad is a football fanatic he will have PTV TV for the football as there is little on terrestrial on a regular basis other than highlights, some FA cup and European games both of which are shared!

My grandchild watches rugby, even though his Father was born a fanatical football supporter, albeit by recording it where there is a clash!

Sky are in some 10 million homes and Bt will be accessible to a reasonable number in addition as they do not charge their broadband customers to watch!!

The figures are low because it is a minority sport as much as access problems. This is compensated by the huge money the game gets which keeps the top clubs viable, provides funding for clubs to run academies/junior teams, and grassroots support.

We can argue all we like, the Unions will decide and there is now't that we can do one way or another! Personally, I would be happy for Internationals to go to Sky as I have to pay for it to watch other sports in any case as opposed to BT which I cancelled as they have nothing else I would want to watch!

Sky are in some 10 million homes and Bt will be accessible to a reasonable number in addition as they do not charge their broadband customers to watch!!

That leaves only 85% of the UK population without access.

Irrelevant really, when put in the context of the actual viewing figures.
The point stands - far, far fewer people will see rugby if this happens.

And for a fledgling sport (which we are, in the wider context of the UK sporting landscape) to switch to a platform which currently reaches one twelfth the number of viewers maximally would be insane.

The only outcome of this that I would be happy with would be the RFU using the cash it gets to buy the PRL clubs.

In an ideal world, the 6 nations would be changed to Cat A and then it would have to be on terrestrial, but Sky/BT could still have their own coverage too.
RFU gets the extra cash, and the viewers.

Last edited:
I was only into Football when i was young, I remember watching the great Champions league final between Liverpool and AC Milan, all my friends watched it as well. This wouldn't have happened if it was just on Sky. I only got into rugby a few years ago during the 2009 6 nations (somewhere around that ?) and have been in love with it ever since, this wouldn't have happened if it wasn't on the BBC. That's the problem with having the sport only on PTV as it doesn't go to the masses. I mean my dad can't stand rugby, if it was just on sky I wouldn''t probably ever have watched a match in my life. In working class homes I don't think rugby is that big now anyway, by putting it on PTV i don't think the sport will grow to the whole population.

I was only into Football when i was young, I remember watching the great Champions league final between Liverpool and AC Milan, all my friends watched it as well. This wouldn't have happened if it was just on Sky. I only got into rugby a few years ago during the 2009 6 nations (somewhere around that ?) and have been in love with it ever since, this wouldn't have happened if it wasn't on the BBC. That's the problem with having the sport only on PTV as it doesn't go to the masses. I mean my dad can't stand rugby, if it was just on sky I wouldn''t probably ever have watched a match in my life. In working class homes I don't think rugby is that big now anyway, by putting it on PTV i don't think the sport will grow to the whole population.

Yep and that is even worst in France !

I started watching rugby with the Hcup around 10 years ago, because it was available on Free TV on Sat afternoon ... But now that is has gone in ppv tv (we only have 1 match left per week end on free tv), I wonder how many children will watch it ? Rugby, as said previously is not so popular as football ... And how can you make it grow by reducing the number of people having access to it ?
Generally, a sport grows in number of licenced children in clubs, after a good WC or olympics, when the children can see it ... But how are they going to be interested in it if they cannot watch it all year around ?

And I said it was even worse down here because French people are much less interested in sport tv than Uk people. Here, if you don't have any more sport on free tv, rather than subscribing to ppv tv, you will do something else ! Our equivalent to Sky (Canal+) can attract around 2M at its peak (PSG/OM matches) ... And there is another broadcaster who is buying all the rights for sports (Champs league, Champs cup, Ligue 1 ... etc), so it means another subscription ? Naaah, people will find other centre of interests ...

In all seriousness the BBC coverage of the 6N does take some beating but because its shown to the more general public its not great for the purists like us anal retards on here. BT sport is aimed squarely at real rugby fans who know the game and have played at some time or other and this is right for the AP or HC but the 6N should stay with the wider audience and stay on the BBC

In all seriousness the BBC coverage of the 6N does take some beating but because its shown to the more general public its not great for the purists like us anal retards on here. BT sport is aimed squarely at real rugby fans who know the game and have played at some time or other and this is right for the AP or HC but the 6N should stay with the wider audience and stay on the BBC

very much this, they aren't there to compete with the Sky & BT Sport - i do find teir presenters frustrating but mute it and listen to the radio... though i still think we should do our own alternative rugby commentary :)

I think that BT with their Rugby Club appeals to those who do not know the game and found it juvenile and irritating before stopping watching it!!!

I would add that when they actually get to the kick off, they cover the game superbly and if they had Greenwood and Horgan as analysts as opposed to Dallaglio et al, they would whip the other channels!

Interesting debate but just like the Open has fallen, with Sky refusing to do a share with the BBC like they do at the Masters, so 6N will inevitably fall in the next two years!!

My only hope Sky is that gets it as opposed to having to pay for BT as well!!

Incidentally, the R&A are saying that the main reason for the move to Sky is the amount of time devoted to coverage will vastly improve and the fact that BBC coverage has been reduced despite warnings over the last few years!

As this is a Six Nations TV thread, how about your thoughts for commentators this weekend and beyond?

It seems as for the Wales v England game that it will be Eddie Butler, Brian Moore and Martyn Williams, for the Italy v Ireland game that it will be Conor McNamara and Phillip Matthews and for the France v Scotland game Andrew Cotter and Andy Nicol.

What do people think of Conor McNamara? The few times he's been on for Super Saturday I've often thought he's been a bit too much like a radio commentator, always seeming to be speaking too often and also getting a bit overexcited at times. However, I also haven't been overly impressed with Alastair Bruce-Ball either in the same regard to McNamara. Any thoughts on a better candidate though? I'm also not too keen on Phillip Matthews. I don't mind him commentating, but he always seem to be a bit too biased when offering insight into a refereeing decision. I know Jonathan Davies is similar but at least he makes who he wants to win well known and he isn't too biased at a serious time or when a level judgement is required.

I'm also liking the commentary team for Friday night. Although recently Butler has been mixing up names a bit too often, in my opinion there is no other rugby commentator that creates the drama and suspense that he does. Brian Moore is Brian Moore, and that's why we like him, because he's so sarcastic that he adds in to make it a humorous watch. Plus, Williams seems to offer plenty of insight in his third chair, offering a calming presence next to somebody like Moore.

I like Cotter, but i understand he'll be doing the Scotland game - i'd like to have him do the wales england game - i can't listen to Butler i honestly can't stand the man.

Kyran Bracken *head in hands*

not really TV but sits here best, Brian Moores show this week had Kyran Bracken as his studio guest - he is possibly the worst rugby pundit to ever take to the mic.

"one thing that's really bothered me is the inconsistency of the selection of our backs"

Next sentence:

"so I really think we should take a gamble with our midfield and......."

Interviewing James Hook:

James Hook: "yeah Gatland puts a lot of stock in loyalty, he likes to be consistent and show the guys eh has faith in them"
Kyran Bracken: "he hasn't shown much faith in you lately, has he?"
James Hook & Brian Moore: awkward laugh - silence - awkward laugh

*slightly paraphrasing there*

Last edited:

Latest posts